1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you motivate yourself to save for your doll?

Apr 10, 2010

1. Haha I like this topic! Basically what I did was I put a picture of an E-an as my desktop background for my computer. I go on everyday so it was the first thing I saw in the morning beofre i went out. It reminded me that I couldn't spend any money, and it actually worked quite well!

2. 8V Just do it.

Buckle down.

Get serious.

Everything is either necessary or not.

Everything else is an excuse.

3. I still haven't made it, but I have a piece of paper on my bedroom wall tracking my progress. It gets motivating to see the percentages rising :3

4. I am a teenager, but I'm definitely not an impulsive buyer...my friends get $200 and spend it all in 3 days on clothes WTF.
      I don't really need motivation cause I naturally don't spend because 1. I have no income, 2. I have nothing else I want atm

Whats funny is that I keep all the money (yep, change included) in a clear glass bank sitting on my desk with an easy-to-access lid. Most people think that it must be reverse psychology or something, because rather spending it, I look at it and go "OMG! Look at all that change I got this week!!" xDD

5. I have so much trouble saving. I have a fashion addiction! And I'm a giant geek, with all the associated addictions (anime, video games, movies...).

I can only hope that this thread can help, lol. Now I just need to find a doll...

6. A lot of the dolls I like are limited editions. "You can pay $XXX for it if you keep yourself from random spending now, and get the other stuff later, or you can pay $XXXX for it later, and not be able to afford anything else at all." Secondary market markups are a pretty big motivator for me -- as in, I don't want to have to pay them if I can avoid it. Sometimes it can't be avoided, but when and if it can? I'm going to try my best to do so.

7. I sell my doll stuff that I no longer use or play with, and even though it seems like a small amount, it adds up gradually, and then I get my grail doll!

8. By telling myself "This could suddenly be discontinued at any time!"

Well, not really, but it seems like a good thing to tell yourself, anyways.

9. I hide my money in an envelope with all my stationary, so its out of site and out of my wallet. If I know I have money in my bank account it tends to get spent, and if I see money sitting in my wallet I'd be more prone to spending it. This makes it easier since I know its there but at the same time it has its own personal bubble of "Don't spend me"

>.> That and I start living off the bare minimum of what I need... so I just steam rice and add furikake on top as a meal xD;

10. print the prettiest picutres and stick them on my room wall :)
      so everytime i feel tempted to spend money, i look and the pictures and i get : nyaaah, i cannot live without her TT^TT
      but that only works for limited dolls xD

11. well for me i have her as my background i also always have her in my web page tab bar then i have in the 2nd bar always outfits from the same company then i have Den of Angels in my always tabed slot. so every time i go online i see her i see her on my background. i use firefox so i can do this. but there are other reasons i really want her so there is that as well and i don't ever want much of anything so thats another factor.

12. When I'm going to spend money in something,I calculate if I want it as my future doll. If result is "yes" I go to see a photo of the doll. Usually it makes me think more about spend money in unnecessary things. :)

13. my thing with saving is I over save, I forget money all the time. like recently I just got paid and I budget to put 30 into my doll fund, when I went to check my account I found I had a 100 dollars that I didn't remember. Something I do is I say these 30 dollars aren't mine, I already used them. Then on another sheet of paper in my journal I write what I'm saving. Just treat the money like you already spent it. and if you forget you have it then you'll find yourself with a happy surprise later down the road.

14. I don't really have problems with spending... I never keep cash, and I don't take my card to places I know I'll be tempted to spend a lot at. I learned that when I went to a renaissance fair, and ended up dropping $70 from my doll fund ^_^;
      A good thread for tips on saving is this one:
      http://www.denofangels.com/forums/s...w-To-Get-Doll-Money-The-Master-List-of-Ideas!
      As for myself, I just keep my goal doll in the back of my head whenever I get tempted to buy something. I suck up to my parents as far as chores go, and when I get lazy or defiant about doing things for them I try to keep in mind that the more I help out, they more likely I am to get money.

I also look at pictures of the dolls I want daily so I can remember how much they'll be worth it.

At the moment I'm saving towards a body for a floating head, so I just have to take one look at her sitting there pathetically on my desk to motivate myself to save save save!

15. My state of mind keeps me from impulse buying. When I set my mind to buying one certain thing, it's like tunnel vision. A lot of times I'll even try to avoid spending money on necessities. If you keep that one thing in your mind during most of your free time, it's a lot easier to stay motivated. One of my greatest motivators is being here, honestly. Seeing what other people have done with their dolls and imagining what I could do. Really keeps my spirits up.

16. Since I'm a very visual person,I make myself a motivational poster to stick right on the wall above my computer and I place a money saved up meter next to it so I can actually see my progress. That way everytime I save money I can color in the money meter.

17. I'm not the type to keep money on me unless I absolutely need it. All of it immediately goes into the bank, and doesn't come back out until a necessary need pops up. And as for credit.... while I have it, I'd more readily spend the raw cash than swipe a sketchy card :|

Asides from that, my current dolls are amazing motivators! They're constantly pressing me to bring home the next member of their crew :lol:

18. I go the route of making enough money in one shot to get the doll I want while paying off other bills. It's much easier for me that way since I've never been the type to save little by little at all.

19. ehhh don't go places where you will find things you want?

off-topic but i do this when i'm growing out my hair, i don't go to salons for any reason and don't accompany friends there since it's temptation. it works out pretty well and the same idea works for saving for dolls too. you could also find ways of entertaining yourself that don't use money. it takes some time to get in the habit but it's worth it ^^

20. I don't really motivate myself.. XD
      I just sell some things an save up some money from my job.. ;)