1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you motivate yourself to save for your doll?

Apr 10, 2010

1. I find it's easier for those who are used to budgeting to save for doll items then it is for someone who doesn't have many monetary responsibilities. I have to make a car payment, pay three utility bills, car insurance, rent, credit card bills and a cellphone bill every month. That's not including my toiletries, groceries or anything else. I'm used to budgeting for things and saving. There's no way I could pay for any of that without saving and weighing the value of how each dollar is spent. It's no different than the doll hobby.

I have a small budget for myself that's dedicated to unnecessary things that I will sometimes use for doll items as well as for makeup and other luxury items and once it's gone, I don't rob other allowances. It's a strict fixed income approach and I feel it works best for me. As for motivation, it's already ingrained. I want a Dollheart fer, it's this amount, I budget for this amount and in time I can attain it. I look at it this way, I can't afford to be lazy about my spending habits.

I've been reading some responses in this thread that give the impression some barely get by but who spend fortunes on doll items. I don't think that's exactly the healthiest manner of saving.

Also, saving for dolls can be especially beneficial to those who are just starting out budgeting. It establishes a goal to work towards and instills a sense of what is and isn't frugal spending. Although, I do think doll saving can become unhealthy if done obsessively.

2. I know some people say that all you need is the want of the doll to motivate your self but honestly it can be more than that xD SOme of us just have trouble spending this is what I do:

put picture of my future doll in my wallet so every time I open to spend shes right there sort of telling me "It's either me or that ice cream that just makes you fat : < "

I have a lot of piggy banks and every time I have any change I put it in there, over the year I saved up 130 just in quarters

Im saving with friends which helps! Its almost like a little competition between us who will save first.

3. I motivate myself changing my homepage to that of the dolls webpage, so i can see its glorious face everyday, and want it more and more.

4. I'm currently saving up for my 1st (and probably 2nd doll). Motivation huh... Looking at the pictures of the sculpts every time when I connect to the net definately help. Also, setting up a saving plan to set aside "X" amoutn of money every week or month would be useful too I think.

5. I don't really do anything specific. I have three major hobbies and all three are expensive, so for me it's mostly a matter of being picky about what I spend money on in each hobby. But beyond those hobbies and the necessary spending of life (rent, food, bills, etc.) I just...really don't have much I want to spend my money on. Maybe it would be helpful to set up a little fund somewhere where you can easily add stuff to it but can't take anything out so easily -- like, leave it with your parents, or find a container that's easy to close but a real pain in the butt to open. Add money to it regularly, even if it's just a few cents at a time. Find someone who is willing to help keep you accountable. A parent or a friend with good saving habits might be a good choice.

6. "Oh, darling, just imagine. The doll you've always dreamt of is sitting next to you. And now it's yours, yours!... " xD
      Nothing special. If I am on the way to give in I visit some sites (e.g. this one)) and look at happy owners.

7. Most of my money goes on cd's and books, and seeing as nothing interesting has come out yet, I don't spend much. I have a picture of my dream dollie as my desktop background and on my phone, looking at other people's dolls of the mold I want helps too.

8. Made it my PC's background and stare at the website for a long time. :3 I also try to posted messages that I want to buy him/her soon or else I won't be able to have him/her. It worked for me...

9. hmm... its really not that hard for me as i long as i can stay away from ebay (and clothes x3 )
      i never have money in my pockets. my mom take notes of how much i ''have'' on her EXCEL then when i need some money she gives it to me. already, not having it with me all the time helps cuz i'm such a compulsive buyer. i could waste half of my money on candy and stupid little toys xD
      the problem is just when i start i cant stop :sweat
      i make it sound harder than it really is :sweat xD
      but really, its not!! dolls are on the top of my list. whenever i have money i buy one (usually on layaway). the real problem is that i dont keep money for their clothes ^^;;;;

10. Hmm... for me, it's just the fact of thinking about what your going to do with the doll once you get it. I think about Violet every day, how her personality will be, what to sew for her, and stuff like that.

Also, keep your money in a place that isn't reachable unless you break the container. I keep mine in a box with a really slim top whole and a really small bottom hole. I also taped the bottom hole. A wide necked, 2 liter bottle also works. If you do end up breaking the container before you get the doll, consider that your shame >:C

11. For me It was interesting how I got started saving in the first place; but as cheshare said we have started a 'competition' between us to see who could save for their doll the quickest, and our goal is to have a 4 person box opening, which really does motivate us. c:

I think my way takes a lot of self control for most people. I have a clear glass jar that sits on my table near the area I've cleared out for my doll, and it has all my doll fund in it. All of it is in cash and change. I usually ignore it for the most part unless I'm adding money. I also do the 'Doll as background' on the computer thing. And I have the dolls actual page as my homepage whenever I pull up new windows.
      I actually do have enough for my doll right now which makes me really happy~ But now I'm saving for an outfit. c:

12. The motivation for me is that I literately have no desire for anything else. I have a computer and tons of video games, so the only thing that's out of reach for me is a bjd. And I need a job to get one. I only need one more $100 though.

13. I think about the character and the excitement of their arrival >w<;
      I think having a character of mine in some sort of fantastic tangible form is the main thing, though :D

14. My motivation is exactly the motivation as the poster above.
      I'm one of those types of people who aren't super materialistic. I mainly like video games, lolita clothes and of course, now, dolls. But I buy those things very rarely and occasionally.
      Besides food, I put all my money up. Next paycheck I'll have 1600 saved up.
      It's just a matter of self control. I mean, I never buy anything for myself anymore because a- the dolls are so expensive. B- the way I have it set up, I'm going to get one for Christmas, and then space all three of the ones I want out a lot. The three dolls I want- one is 600 and the other two are 300.
      My encouragement is merely based on my excitement. "If I don't buy anything for myself, I can get the BEST PREZANT EVAR for Christmas." It helps that my birthday and Christmas are only a smidge away. December 25, December 18, is my birthday. So it's basically like me getting one huge present for both occasions.
      I wish you luck, young one. 8D
      Wtf am I talking about, I'm young too. xD

15. to keep myself from spending my money on something i really do not need i put it in a safe i have or i send it straight to the bank. Other ways i keep from spending the money is i keep looking at the doll i want. My first doll toke me 3 weeks to save up but the one thing i did was i was always on there web site just looking at the doll and the price and i guess thats what kept me from spending anything just to get the doll...

16. It's not too hard for me to resist buying most things. I stop and think how often I'll use it, how suitable to my lifestyle it is, what else I could buy with the money, etc etc. I can usually convince myself not to buy things.
      Except for food. I spend all day on campus because I attend classes AND work in one of the libraries so I often want to buy tea/coffee and sometimes food.
      I no longer bring my debit card with me to school lol. I take out $20 and that's my food/drink emergency allowance for when I'm at campus. Any leftover at the end of 2 weeks gets put in a box for savings. :)

17. I print out pictures and carry a few around with me when I go to stores. Keep some in locations around the house. My internet home page is the doll from companies I want. Desktop background is of the doll I want. As is cell phone background.
      This way when I'm working, I can look up and see what it is that I'm working so hard for. For me it works. I know there have been days where I was just like...-lazy day please-...looked over saw the doll of my dreams and, thinking how disappointed he would be with me, was like' Pfft no >:U GOTTA WORK!!'

18. I am such an impulse buyer! Especially where I work, I'm surrounded in the newest electronics and games, basically temptation is everwhere! What's working so far is I put a picture of my dream doll in my itouch, imagining physically holding him and taking my own photos gives me an instant boost, but it dies down until I turn my itouch back on. XD But I do have some money in the savings. :D

19. The only way I could save was to put my doll in layaway.

20. My motivation, is the doll :) Haha, Im 14 and I waste my money really quickly. When it comes to bjd saving or anything expensive, I just set my mind to it and work really hard. Even though I'm young, but my parents told me i have to work for it. I'm currently saving up for Luts Bory. Haha, except they told me that my next birthday gift, as a traditional 15 birthday, they will get me a Mw Leila :)