1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you motivate yourself to save for your doll?

Apr 10, 2010

1. I try to only put away a little at a time. I usually have about $150 every month in spending money, so I put $50 of that into my doll savings, so I still have money to spend on other non-dollie things. XD I know I'm horrible at saving too, so what I do is I ask my mom to put my doll money in her bank account, so even if I wanted to I couldn't spend it. It's a little hassle to transfer the money, but if it gets me my doll it's all worth it in the end! :aheartbea

2. Fujico

lol, my money are in my mom's bank too!)) But I can save, the reason is different. The thing is now I need them to buy a doll... And I can't!) Not funny actually..

3. Actually how i motivate myself to save is i spend a little bit first, and buy the wigs, and maybe the eyes and a couple outfits.
      It makes the doll more real to me as a goal if there is something to kind of symbolize it already here.
      I've just recently ordered the wigs for my next 2 girls.

4. I figure if I'm not motivated enough to save for the doll, I didn't want it badly enough.

5. I motivate myself watching the dolls of other people by forums or just searching by google xD. By the other hand, I search for accesories and think about the future character of the new doll, then i´ll be ver excited and my principal thought should be save and save.

6. I start by going "That's the one for me!" while pointing overly energetic at my laptop screen. Then I break down my budget...normally forces me to eat nothing but cup-o-noodles and any home cooked meals I can grab with my family. I'll put a pick of the doll I've saving for in my wallet so I don't get tempted to waste my munnies on something I probably don't even need like a coffee at dunkin donuts when I can make one for cheaper at my house.

7. I would try to save by putting up a picture of the doll you want somewhere so you can see it often then hide the money from yourself!...I usually put it in my paypal account where I can forget about it. Or if you know you can eventually pay for it, buy on credit now and pay later! Then you get instant gratification! Haha! ;)

8. I have two savings accounts, one for general savings and the other for selfish spending money. $100 is deposited automatically into the selfish spending fund every two weeks. The only issue with this system is if I use that money for reasons other than dolls, but generally if I want something else I try to wait at least a month to see if I still want it. That prevents purchases that I'll later regret.

So for me saving isn't an issue of motivation. Because I never see the money, it just gets subtracted from my paychecks automatically, I'm not tempted to spend it on eating out at restaurants or buying frivolous things that I don't really want or need.

9. I look at the photo of the doll I want to buy whenever I get tempted to spend my savings.

10. I have plenty of dolls on my wishlist that my family members would frown upon (the pricing!!!). So just by looking at them or thinking about them a lot, it becomes easier to hold back a little. I have that problem too, though. When I counted up my money and noticed I had about $168 I was so thrilled because I was getting really close to getting a doll I wanted. However, I was also into Pokemon at the time and spent money, cutting me back (thankfully, not enough that I left the hundreds).

I've been doing some money calculations too, on how much I'd earn if I got my allowance back, and that motivates me even more to keep the money to myself and know that each bit of cash get's me a little bit closer to getting my doll.

In short, I just think about the doll I want and the endless possibilities I could have with it (like where he/she will 'sleep') and that alone keeps me on track enough that I don't go off on a buying spree.

11. I take $20 out of every bit of money I am given and set it aside. I also will take whole sums of money and hide them away in my piggy bank. Once it's in there, I can't touch it. I've tried to do it digitally but I just end up spending it. I use a money pak paypal card to buy my purchases with my savings.
      I watch a lot of doll openings on Youtube to keep the feeling fresh and remind me what I'm waiting for. You have to hold out so that when it comes, its like a giant firework!

12. I'm terrible at saving money, I have a bad habit of chipping into my savings; £10 for lunch out here, £20 for a new dress there... suddenly poof! Savings are gone!
      So what I usually do is wait until the day I get paid, and deposit a big lump (usually £100 or so) into the joint account. I NEVER keep the card for that on me, so I can't chip into it and fritter it away on on mochas and bath bombs!

13. I keep myself from spending by converting my savings to loose change at a bank and, after unwrapping the coins, dump it all into a glass jar at home. Coins are heavy and noisy, and if you don't make them convenient (by rolling them in paper, etc) you're MUCH less likely to WANT to spend it. But keep a piece of paper in your jar with thw monetary amount scribbled on it, and update it each time you put change in.

14. I... don't motivate myself, I just do. I suppose that, as far as I'm concerned, the doll itself is the drive/motivation for me to save.

15. Every time I'm about to spend money, I count how it adds up in a year. Eating out twice a month? $10 x 24 = $240 Candy for $2 each week? $2 x 52 = $104. Noooope. :o

16. For me the problem isn't necessarily motivation, but (as you said) not spending on other random things... and also not stealing money from other important things to spend on dolls! To keep my doll savings separate, I put them in a jar labeled with the name of the doll I'm saving for. I also track my savings by posting in the Saving Up Waiting Room here and in my signature. It reinforces what I'm already doing with the jar. Joining a waiting room is another good way to stay motivated and on track, because it puts you in touch with other people who are in the same boat who have the same goals.

17. I motivate myself by allowing myself to set money aside for completing tasks I don't want to do. Its a double motivation. I get done what I need to do, which right now is study every day, because I am motivated to get the doll. Its also motivating to save the money because it adds up over time and I won't feel guilty about spending the money on the doll. All I have to do is complete the task and I can set the money aside. I'm motivated because its guilt free. If I just up and buy a doll, its a big expense. I cant justify it. But if the money is just there (and not in my account) it slowly comes out of my money. I know in the end its the same amount of money, but it doesn't seem so bad. Its all a mental game. At the same time though, I was also able to motivate myself to do something I didn't want to do too.

18. I know I posted here before. Now though I have a different way of saving for my first. Now its more of put more of my money into my savings and only buy things I need. No fun things nothing.(Unless its already preorded so I can finish what I owe on them but other then that nothing.) Also trying to buy cheaper things that I do need. This way is so far seeming more successful then my old way honestly.

19. i find if i spend a weekend without leaving the house i spend less. Of course theres always the internet... hmmmm

20. No need for motivation, I have no self control! Lol

Saving from work, making sure after the purchase is made I have more than enough needed to live by.

That and I just cycle my doll money.