1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you open your box?

Oct 16, 2010

1. Usually I prepare a photostory before the doll arrives (and then change it hundred times :sweat). That makes me really excited for the box opening.
      I don't like audience, so when the doll arrives I just hide in my room and tell everyone that they shouldn't DARE to disturb me for their own sake :evil: :XD:
      Then I just take a million pictures and enjoy a reaaaaally slow conquering of the box :whee:

2. Very carefully. *is shot*

Okay, my serious answer: First, I had to wait for my whole family to be in the room, because everyone wanted to see the box opening. I used a big pair of craft scissors to cut through the packing tape, with the super-careful nervousness of the first-timer.

When I opened the doll box, first I took out and examined the restringing manual and the little promo materials (a mini catalog-thing, some nice pictures of other dolls on glossy cardstock), and took pictures of them. Then I unwrapped the event head and took pictures of it. The very last thing I did was unwrap the doll itself-- again, being super careful cutting through tape when I couldn't peel it off or slide off parts of the bubble wrapping. Like, paranoia-level care.

I squeed over him, took photos, hugged him, dressed him, and photographed him some more. And then I spent the rest of the evening with him in my lap (well, he went back in his box during dinner, but as soon as I finished washing up, he came back out!). And then I posted a box opening.

I imagine the process will be pretty similar for my next doll(s).

=^__^=
      Anneko

3. ... in a crazed, flourished way... xD;; Especially my first doll, I just had to see its face, forget everything else! So by the time it was freed from all the bubble wrap, I forgot to take pictures. :doh It was like I had to confirm with my own eyes that I finally had a doll! it was really exciting, and a bit surreal.

I planned a photostory opening for my second doll, and just took pictures for my third. I'm thinking of doing a video for my next box opening since it seems to be getting more popular. But even so, I admire those who take their time to slowly examine every item they ordered, read through the manual, before getting to the doll, haha... I just wouldn't be able to resist the urge and toss everything aside and grab the doll, take off it's facemask... XD;;;

4. Well, for mine I just took the box up into my room so I could be alone. lol And I shot a video of my box opening process. It was slow, but I enjoyed just being able to soak everything in. :)

5. When I get my dolls, the boxes are usually covered in ungodly amounts of tape, so I usually curse and scream when opening boxes, and it usually takes about an hour. LOL.

6. First, I get my camera ready. I want to remember every step i took to open the box!
      I take a exacto knife and carefully take away all the tapes and wraps..( all while taking pictures furiously)...
      and when the final 'doll box' appears...I SQUEEEEL!!!!!!!

7. I only have one doll, but when I got him, I took forever to open him. I had just come home from college for Thanksgiving break, and the box had already been sitting in my room for a week. I think I was too amazed that I was actually going to see a BJD for the first time in real life to rip through the box. I also did it alone in my room, so there was no pressure. I think I passed out at one point when I finally uncovered his face, because everything after that seems very unclear.

It was one of the best moments of my life. :)

8. I will take photos for souvenir……

9. well, I just ordered my second doll and this box opening will be much different. I'm no longer scared that I'll ruin the doll or that it will be too big or anything so I'm going to take my time, enjoy it and take pictures of everything :)

10. I always receive my packages at the office, so when I get a new doll, I usually schlep him home on my lunch-hour. Then I open the box, make sure all the pieces-and-parts are there, make sure there's no immediate damage/defect to write back to the company about, make a few squeeing noises, and dash back to work. Sometimes I don't even have time for that during the day, though (it's a heavy job schedule), and Dollyman's Box and I walk home through the dark city streets together.

Re the opening itself, I guess I do follow a pattern; it's as personal a behavioral fingerprint as "how do you eat your Oreos?" ^^ Open all the fullset gear & spare bodyparts first, count it up and make sure it's all there, then clear away the drifts of bubblewrap & bags, and finally take out the doll himself. If it's a bizarrely complicated fullset (looking at you, Soom Chalco), Dollyman himself may be chilling out in there for the better part of an hour while I figure shit out.

Photos don't usually get to happen until the next free weekend-day, alas. Heavy job pays mad money for dolls & goodies, but I do my time for it. ;; However, if the packaging and/or fullset have something particularly hilarious about it, I will snap a photo for posterity (and because I can't resist cracking up my friends). xD

11. me? Tear everything apart like a hungry animal devouring its prey. muahahahaha ~! then put everything back and take pictures and pretend its the first time im opening it :DDDD *opps*

12. I did box openings of my first two, and might again if it's something rare or special, but usually I don't bother. I ALWAYS take photos of the box before opening it in any way if there is even the slightest hint of damage, though, for documentation.

Typically it's either delivered at work, or I have to go get it on the way to work or on lunch, so the box sits at my desk tempting me all day. If there's damage to the box I might take cellphone pics of it and go ahead and open to check for damage or missing parts. If there's no apparent damage to the box, I try to wait until I get home. Then I eat dinner quickly and gather all the box-opening stuff and the clothes/wig/eyes I have for the new one, and then FINALLY open the box. I usually get the doll out first and check for damage, then have it sit on the box while I open all the extra stuff, then once everything's open and accounted for I start trying on things!

I take a few photos of the doll as it is, also, though usually these days it arrives blank and won't be ready for "official" photos until I've done it's faceup a few days later.

13. Video ^^ Well at least on my first doll : P I said I would take pics but it's just too tedious and videos are much more fun to watch ^^ you get to hear funny commentaries and such ;D

14. Well, before crying and open the box I kind of...
      Open it with a box cutter like a savage beast.
      Then when I see the bubble wrap I start crying and slooooowly unwrap it.
      Like the longer I take the more exciting the end result will be.

15. My BJD boxes arrive always to my mother's office, and she doesn't let me go to home with the box if she doesn't look the doll first xDD so, I can't really take photos or videos...I wish I could, thank you mom...I know you always are more excited than me xD

16. what I had planed for my first opening and what actually happened was hard on me. I'm getting my girl for christmas and I had told my parents that I wanted to look at her and make sure she wasn't broken and that all the stuff I got for her fit. Well my parents said that would be alright. The package was to be delivered on a monday that later that night I had work. I hoped that it would come so I could take pictures with my friends. Sadly the my girl didn't get there till 8 o'clock at night (I strongly dislike UPS). By that time I was at work. When I got home my parents were in a bad mood because my mom had to miss going with my dad to an event because of my package. They let me open her but it was dark and I couldn't see clearly. they told me that I wasn't going to take pictures because they were both tired. SO I didn't do the box opening and later that weak mom let me look at my girl so I could try her wig on, which was good because I had gotten the wrong size. Next time I will get pictures of my opening. *shakes fist*

17. I do like to take photos as I go, mainly for the purpose of documenting the way the doll was packaged, as well as the condition in case something's damaged. Luckily, in over 40 deliveries, nothing's ever been damaged, but I'd hate for the time I decided to skip the photos to be the time I really needed them.

If what I've ordered is a less-commonly seen doll (new release, lesser known company, or limited sculpt), I'll post the photos here as well, but not always.

18. I usually take pics only if I think the box has some damage and I want to document it before I open the doll. So far all arrivals have been fine and that has been great news.

19. I take photos of every step of the process--mostly for my own memory's sake, but I also really like opening the box slowly to soak in the experience. I save the doll's face for last because that's the most important part! The anticipation would be over if I got to the face before everything else was taken care of. ^^

I like to open my boxes alone, though. I've only had someone there for one of them, and even though she's really interested in BJDs it was still weird to have anyone else in the room. Alone is better, and then if I need feedback or someone to join my fangirling I'll send pictures to a friend.

20. With camera in hand.
      How the external packaging looks, how it looks when I open it, how it looks when I pull it out of the shipping box, the contents of the doll box, etc.

Once I confirm everything is as described I pack it back up very carefully.
      Then I tear it into it like the christmas gift paper wrapping massacre*.
      I make sure there's no problems, then I go and enjoy myself.

*I keep a trash bag handy for this part.