1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you open your box?

Oct 16, 2010

1. I usually like to open the box by myself because I want a clear mind when I do so. I take pictures as I progress and these pictures are later uploaded to flickr as proof.

I don't open it in front of other people because there's no one around me that can appreciate this. Even though I've once had someone ask me to open the box at work despite not knowing what was inside, I didn't know this person so I declined.

As soon as the doll is out of the box, I need to get the eyes and wigs on so I can make sure if this sculpt is suitable as my character.

2. Very carefully and with much restrained excitement!

3. I don't bother with box opening photos. I tear the box open and examine my doll. By the time I get them, it feels as if I have been waiting forever. Sometimes 3 weeks at customs here....

4. I make sure I have a large enough area to spread things out and take pictures without having anything else in the background. Then I just go piece by piece and make sure everything is intact and put the doll or parts together if need be. Last, I have fun trying on eyes and wigs :)

5. I take a video and make a lot of inhuman sounds

6. I took a BUNCH of photos of the process on my phone as I opened the box up. I had a few dresses ready to go too, so I also took pictures as I checked to see if they fit.

7. I like seeing box opening videos or photos, it's fun to see others experiences opining a new doll so I'd probably do videos too.

8. I like to sit on my bed in my room, I try to be alone but my sister, my mom and my cat always appear to take a peek xD
      I usually take pictures with my phone while unboxing, and one day I would like to make a video but I'm too shy >w<

9. Very slowly, haha.

In the past I used my bed, as it was just big enough to lay things out and keep them in the background when I'm focusing on things for pictures, but more recently (now that I'm married) I've got tables and floor space to choose from. I like to be alone for it. It's sort of like a little ritual. You get to know every part and joint of the doll without interruption. I'd like to do a video someday, but at the same time I wouldn't really know what to say if I did. Probably be something like "Yep. It's a doll. *thumbs up with awkward smile*"

10. I nearly always take a video and put it on youtube! I even wait a day or so if I have to just to make sure I'm able to film it. I take the box to my room, set up my phone and then open the package as normal(:

11. Scream and rip it open... :sweat no but really, I'm not that careless, but I do get really impatient and overzealous. I have made one box-opening video so far (I've only ordered two dolls anyway).

12. I usually wait half a day before I open the package and keep the box in plain sight all that time. It's a way for me to increase the anticipation and enjoy the fact that I'm about to open a very nice present. (in the Netherlands we have a word for this anticipation: "Voorpret", which basically means enjoyment in advance).

When I think it's time to open the box, I very slowly and carefully open it and uncover the doll, starting with the head, and then see if it is able to stand on its own, so I can look at it from a distance. And then I just soak up all the little details.

Oh, and I want to be by myself. I really don't like having someone next to me who screams at me to hurry up XD.

13. I like to document it in photos. For one thing, it helps if there is some damage (luckily, rarely ever a problem, but if there IS, I have the date-stamped photos of the state of the box and everything inside).

Aside from that, I take photos of everything and usually post them as a Box Opening.

I love seeing other Box Openings--mostly if I'm curious about a doll. It's so key to see owner photos and see what they think. I figure I might as return the favor in case anyone else might be interested in what doll arrives home with me!

14. I always take pictures as I open the box, always done this whether I intend to post the pictures or not. It's just a lot of fun being able to look through those pictures later on.

15. Most of the time I have to pick up my doll from the post office - so there's the whole walking to the post and walking back while carrying the doll and the excitement that brings.

I open my boxes alone as well. I have roommates and they are awesome but I really don't want someone learning and asking questions. I do open my boxes fairly quickly. The pictures I take are for provenance and to record if there are any damages. I also like to have a few photos of what the sculpt looks like blank.

When I first started collecting the box openings were a little more elaborate and I would bring out my other dolls to welcome the new comer. I miss doing that but I just have too many dolls to do that now.

16. I usually tear into the box instantly. I always plan to take pictures but usually forget. I just want the doll out as fast as I can! Then I check them over for any damage.

Once all is good, I throw out the trash, put away any extras and papers, then start the faceup!

17. Like Gollum)
      I wonder how can you make foto and video at moments like this.

18. My box opening ritual is kind of funny. I wait on pins and needles for it to be delivered every noise causing me to jump up and look out the window. When that beautiful box arrives I call my daughter she comes over we take the box and my current dolls to her house. Sit in the middle of her room with my dolls and her dolls sitting grouped to the side. So they have a clear view to welcome the newest member of our dollie family. I quickly open the shipping box being careful not to damage the doll box inside. We take pictures once the shipping box is open. Then I pull out the doll box open it and just take a moment to appreciate the view once the lid is off. Once the doll is out of the box while I am checking for any problems my daughter snaps pictures. I get the dressed and take more pictures of them with their new dollie family.

19. I also open up the box carefully and pause to take as many photo's as I can, or even a to video record the experience. My tool of choice is sometime scissors or a box opener. Though I admit, my latest open doll wasn't as exciting as my first.

20. How do i open the box? I just tear it open. ive been waiting like 6 months, i cant waste 5 whole minutes to open a box.

But for my next box opening im thinking about doing a box opening video. I just feel like itll wear down my excitement so imnot sure. I took pictures for my first box opening and it kinda took away from my excitement.