1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you restrain yourself from buying everything on your wish list?

Jul 7, 2020

1. By buying other things instead. :doh:roll: I mean, by prioritising other purchases instead.

I want to buy the sculpt I've picked for my FID Bichun's wife, and she's currently on sale, but I've already used my 'recreation' budget this month. I'd have to pay for her on layaway, and it'd take me into December. Christmas. Gifts. My niece has her birthday in October, my mum's in November, my sister-in-law and dad are in December. There's no way I'd be able to afford my desired girl right now. Not unless I guaranteed sales on everything I want to shift. And that's not likely to happen.

So, they'll have to wait to be united next year.

2. I have a set amount of money to spend on whatever the hell I want every month. Once they're gone I'm out of luck. Hubs and I run a very strict budget, where every amount of money is put to work, meaning they are assigned to a category, so if I look at our accounts, there's plenty of money there, but looking at our budget there isn't, because some is assigned to a buffer, some to recurring expenses, some is an emergency fund etc. So I only have my spending money. That works super well for me/us.

3. I have a few rules that I set for myself and every time I want to buy something I run through them in my head:
      1. One thing at a time. Don't buy a second item of the same sort if the first haven't arrived yet - you often find that you don't even want or need whatever you are after any more because your first item covers it better than you think.
      2. Is there a need for it? There are a lot of things that look good on pictures but you are never going to use in real life - dresses that don't fit the style of any of you dolls, eyes that you have no doll for, props that are just going to stay in the box forever because you have no real use for a fantasy prop in you modern day doll collection and so on. When I see an item I try to imagine having and using it, and if I can't come up wit the situation easily and clearly than I skip it for now.
      3. Is it really worse it to you? A lot of items come with "baggage" that you are not thinking about when pressing the "buy" button - like unreliable sellers, waiting costs, quality concerns, sizing issues and so on and so forth... Thinking about the clearly made me drop more than one basket of goods - thous things may look pretty, but potential damage to my mood and nerves is way to high - I get upset when things are broken, don't fit, not as shown on the pictures or if I have to return/refund/search for packages. I buy stuff to make me feel GOOD, if buying this think is likely to make me feel BAD in a long run - pas on it.
      4. Can I do it myself and do it well? I really can't imagine buying a simple white t-shirt for a doll, for example, it'll take me less than 10 minutes to make one... So I only buy things that are unique enough or complex enough that doing them myself is out of my skill range or will take to much time and energy out of me.

4. Over the years, I've perfected the art of impulse control when it comes to not purchasing animals (it is the only thing that protects me from living in a complete zoo). Dolls in comparison are far easier to say no to. :kitty1

5. My husband and I have the same strict budgeting plan too! Do you use YNAB? It gives so much peace of mind to know my "fun money" purchases won't ever affect our savings goals or emergency fund.

6. We do! We have used YNAB for around 9 years now, it has been a life changer. We were never taught how to be good with money, and I only knew roughly how to budget in a company, because that part i was taught at school, but never learned all the expenses going into a household and my husband neither. So we lived month to month, and when yearly expenses rolled around we struggled because it was so much money at once, and Christmas was hell. Not anymore. We are so much better with money now. We have my husband to thank for it tbh. I just wanted to make an excel sheet, but he talked me into it and he did our finances to begin with, with me just looking it over once in a while because I'm better at numbers than he is. But now it's the other way around.

7. Well, like other people said, not having enough money helps a lot haha.
      If I had the money, I would probably not be able to stop myself from buying the dolls on my wish list tbh :sweat

8. There are some great ideas in this thread for budgeting! I'm a beginner too, and I am thinking it might be wise to start a savings account for money I don't touch for hobbies. It's easy to spend a lot even by buying extras like hair, wigs, eyes, shoes...

I also make spreadsheets, like others have said. I made sure when I bought my first doll that there were several "looks" I could work on making for him. I think this will help stave off temptation by keeping things fresh.

Finally, I decided to try to alternate purchasing from companies and finding good deals on used stuff.

9. I tried to talk to myself saying that there is never “enough” and it is hard to can get “everything” wanted, you can only get things you relatively liked. So I compare things and always try to convince myself with the cons of getting it rather then pros