1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you store your doll?

Jul 9, 2010

1. My room is going through renovations right now so I keep them in carrying bags for the time being, but after it's done I'll have a cabinet of shorts (made of wood) with a glass door so I can admire them at all times while avoiding dust. Though sometimes I pick one to leave in a chair next to mine for a few days during the week when I miss them too.

2. My two favorite dolls are sitting out in my room, not particularly close to windows but still technically in the range of indirect sunlight, because I like natural light in the house and I like moving those dolls from room to room or changing their wig/eyes/clothes often. I handle them frequently, so it would just be more hassle putting them away and taking them back out as often as I do.
      I like having them close to me, so they get to explore the house instead of being locked up :)

However, my floating head collection is stored out of sunlight, packaged away, for multiple reasons:
      1) they aren't covered in protective sealant yet, so more susceptible to sunlight damage (by whatever minuscule degree haha)
      2) floating heads tend to not really sit well on their own, and I'm paranoid and live in earthquake country (roll away head, roll away!)
      3) I don't like being reminded that I have THAT many "unfinished" dolls, because then I start thinking about about whether or not I should be selling them, which ones do I really want to keep and do I really want that head and argh, it's overal just stress-inducing.

3. They're all in their boxes under the bed :lol:
      I have my fave sitting out right now on the corner table. Hoping her presence (staring at me) will inspire me to do more activities within the hobby...

4. I've cleared out half of my wardrobe for the dolls. I have huge windows in my room with sunlight shining in during most part of the day, so I'm a little paranoid about them yellowing. :sweat

5. My house is full of sun light arround 10 hours each day, so I have them in a closet. But I have one or two of them here or there when I am at home, just to see them a bit, play with them a bit, and them put them back at his safe place.

6. I have a large doll sofa that I got at an antique store for a really good price.
      They sit on the couch away from direct sunlight as much as possible. I live in a small apartment, and we are moving soon. So hopefully I can find a better dimly light area for them. To reduce yellowing. I dust them off every week to minimize dust particles.

7. I have a doll room (which is also "my" room, since both me and my girlfriend each have an own room to work in), where all my dolls, their clothes and my commissions and supplies are stored.
      It's the room I paint in too, but except for my desk the whole room is dedicated to dolls.
      Mine are either in glass cabinets (Detolf from Ikea) or closed cabinets with glass doors.
      I only have two that stand around openly, but I want to change that soon too.
      Oh, and my Blythe have no doors in front of them, but that's not by choice...still no clue how to store them properly, since I want to decorate their space a little more.

I also have a doll sofa for "guests" (commissions or when friends come over with their dolls).

I personally decided to go this route because:
      a) I have the space in my room for it
      b) my girlfriend also collects, so I need to make sure her dolls are nicely stored too
      c) my room is usually closed and can be kept dark, since I am only in there a few hours at night usually
      d) I wanted them to be open, visible but still protected from a curious cat and light

I don't play around with them much, but I love sitting in my room and see them standing in the cabinets.
      We mostly have SD dolls, so they are pretty big too, and my Detolfs are standing on cubes to have them a little higher up from the ground.

I got a lot of nice comments for my setup, but it honestly made me ask myself how some people store their dolls :sweat
      Among my friends the Detolfs and other, similar cabinets are pretty common now.

8. My dolls spend their idle time in my bedroom. It's the room in my house with the least sunlight. Their livingspaces occupy two shelves there. I enjoy creating dioramas for them so no box time for my dolls:) I just make sure to remove dust regularly. My floating heads, wigs, clothes etc are in boxes though.

9. All my dolls are in their boxes when I'm not actively doing something with them. There are several reasons for this. Firstly, I don't have the space to display them all (I have 38) as I live in an apartment and finding a place without direct sunlight or base board heaters is difficult. I also have Idiot Cat. He is of the opinion that several wigs are actually his toys and will snatch wigs off of dolls if he thinks he can get away with it. To be fair, the wigs are made of mohair or real fur so I can see why he believes that. Lastly, the Hubby is VERY creeped out by the dolls and is convinced that they will come alive at night and strangle him in his sleep (his words not mine). This is not helped by one of my dolls (my first and still favourite) that consistently "lunges" at him, often with arms outstretched, whenever the Hubby is near despite being my best, most solid stander/poser.

10. I pack my nicely back in the box to avoid sunlight and dust.

11. I have all mine out on display on various shelving/bookcases in my bedroom. I don't put them behind glass because I'd be much less likely to take photos of them or do anything with them at all for that matter. I'm big on making my dolls seem 'alive' I guess you could say, so having them out and in natural poses is one of the best ways to achieve that as all the glass cabinets I have in my bedroom (for figures/Hot Toys) are not big enough to pose them naturally as most of my dolls are SDs. I don't like the idea of them sitting there looking lifeless ;)

My room gets indirect sunlight depending on the time of day but I'm not that worried as they're never directly exposed to it; resin naturally yellows with age anyway and I think most of my crew are looking pretty good for their age :XD:

12. If he isn't nearby me somewhere at home sitting on a shelf, couch, or table, then he's typically in the bedroom sitting on the vanity there. He's a bit floppy right now so he doesn't stand well on his own, so I try to perch him places where the cats won't mess with him. He normally comes with me to work every day though, so half the time he's in his carrying case.

13. I used to keep mine out on a shelf, but lately one of my cats has started chomping down on them. The cat used to completely ignore the shelf, but one day he jumped up on it and stuck Yul's entire head in his mouth! :horror: She is fine, but I knew I couldn't leave them that way. I bought closing wood cabinets (advertised as pantries) and rearranged my entire room to make them fit.I keep the doors closed when I'm not looking at or playing with them to protect them from any wandering cats.

My sister's dolls are currently in my room as her space is being remodeled. She doesn't have as many, so I keep most of them on the top shelves of my bookcases where cats can't reach. They are in corners out of direct sunlight. I only do this because they are here temporarily. We are trying to decide a better way to display them when her room is finished. For her Loongsoul water god GongGong, though, I told her to buy a fish tank. Now he lives by my bed in a fish tank with aquarium rocks, a few fake plants, a couple decorations, and some fake wood to lean on. He coils up nicely in there and really looks alive. :3nodding:

14. Mine are sitting on a shelf! They get routine dusting since they're out in the open.
      Which actually isn't horrible, all things considered.

15. Thank you for all the responses! :D It's really neat to see everyone's different styles of keeping their dolls safe.
      My first doll will be arriving in a month or two so I've been wondering how I'm going to store him when he's idle.

(It looks like my post got merged into an old, old thread from 2010? But I'm an OP for this post; i suppose...)

16. I'm just keeping mine in a box before I actually get some kind of shelf or something to set him on. :3nodding:

17. I love this idea! Must be great for tinier dolls. And I can imagine how cute it would be to make little seasonal or holiday vignettes with them.

18. I have my YOSD sitting in a rocking chair next to my laptop, and the MSD on my shelf with other types of dolls (mainly Monster High).

19. I keep him in the closet on top of my dresser away from cat hair (my cat has since passed though) and sunlight. My floating heads are in a nice little box with bubble wrap until the day they find bodies.

20. I only have 1 doll, i have a dark blue blanket over my bedroom window , so she sits freely around the room... She stays with wig & eyes and clothes on UNLESS i am putting new lashes on or making her clothes then she will sit around naked lol