1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How does your doll's headcap attach?

May 23, 2011

1. I've had experience with a few different companies and I have somewhat mixed views. I think there are advantages and disadvantages and it's a matter of what works for you.

- My kid delf from luts was a schpitt magnet type. While easy to put on, the cap would frequently come off with wig changes. I'm somewhat heavy handed with my dolls and I change their clothings, wigs and eyes often so it was convenient for me. I wish the magnets were either a little stronger or there was some sort of catching mechanism.

- I have both Volks dolls that used the rubber band and the schpitt methods. I actually liked the rubber band because the headcap would always remain secure but still loose enough to be cracked open. I also found that the magnets in my SDs were a lot stronger than the kid delf. Sometimes I'd struggle opening them to the point where I was afraid I'd rip it off and everything go flying. My YOSDs magnets don't seem as strong and she's much easier to open up. I've to reason that I prefer a more secure hold for my dolls' headcaps over convenience.

- My Unoas don't have magnets or even S hooks securing their headbacks. Unoas have a long straight groove rather than a round hole and so I use a straight steel bar to keep the elastic in place. S hooks, for me, slide out of the groove and seem almost too narrow to effectively hold the elastic in place. As far as removing the faceplate, it's fairly simple as it's held on by a series of tabs and notches. Very securely I might add. I know of some people who's faceplates don't adhere well, although mine seem to.

- My Pipos and Narae were similiar to Unoa but used an S hook instead of a bar.

In terms of security, I think my Unoas, Narae and Pipos utilize my favorite method. It's also very secure and easy to remove. I also like that I change heads with a simple faceplate swap without risking losing the elastic. xD

2. My BJD have different kinds of headcap attaching systems, most of them without magnets, but all attach them pretty well. The ones of my large BJD stay on the top of their heads with no problems generally. My two MiniFée are a different thing, specially the girl, maybe because of her usually long hair. Few times, but it did went with her wig when a sudden and unexpected movement happened.

3. My doll has magnets, but they are not very strong, so I change eyes and wigs with easy.

4. Mine is magnets. and It does not stay on well. It always pops off. I need hints on how to keep her head on.

5. My dolls headcap is also attached with magnets. They are véry strong! I really have to pull hard to get it off.

6. Most of my dolls' headcaps are attached by magnets. However, 2 are purposely attached by and elastic band and 1 is attached by sticky tack (the magnets fell out>.<).

7. I have two twist tops, two magents and a magnet faceplate. The magnet faceplate sucks so bad, I've glued his face to stop it falling off. The twists are great but over time become loose. I guess magnet is good but sometimes the magnets fall out and even if you glue them there is still a chance of them coming out. Some of my doll I know I won't ever change the eye color or size of have glued head caps.

8. All three of my boys have magnetic headcaps

I find them very easy to use, never fall off unless something jars them greatly (something I try to avoid anyway)

A friend of mine had a doll with a magnetic headcap ...and the magnet came out. It was pretty easy to put back in with some glue we got from a TV ad... *shrugs*

9. most of mine have magnets, some also have a little bump that fits into the inside of the head cap to keep it from sliding.

My AoD Chen had his s hook attached to his headcap.

10. -smacks forehead- why didn't I think of looping a rubber band through audreys headcap to the s hook?!?

I have a CP Delf Soony with that awful headcap- s-hook combo. However as soom as I get home I'm going to fix that problem with a rubber band haha.

My other girls are all magnetic head caps.

11. Both my dolls have magnetic head caps

12. The one I have at home now has a magnetic headcap, it works.

13. Most of mine use magnets or have a magnets at the bottom and some groove at the top that you snap into. They mostly have strong magnets so there's not much danger of their hadcaps coming off though the faceplace for my Migidoll Noel does have a tendency to come off on its own, and one of the lower magnets of my Switch Shino keeps coming out but his top magnets are strong enough to secure his headcap.

I also have some where you just snap their headcaps on which doesn't seem too secure to me and so I add sticky tack to the rim.

My two DELFs use S-hooks and I really don't like it... I find it very difficult to deal with when I want to change their eyes...

For my AE, you have to twist her headcap into place which is quite nice but I didn't know about it when I first got her and spent quite a bit of time trying to figure it out.

I overall perfer the magnet method as they're the easiest to use.

14. Saif and Muniya are held on by S-hook. Quinlan, Niccolo, Epifan, and Delphine are magnetized.

The magnets are so much easier!

15. All of them have magnets! Now if only the magnets weren't so strong that they break the bonds of the glue...
      I can't imagine how annoying and tough it would be to open up a doll's headcap with an s-hook ._.

16. I've got two with straight up magnetic headcaps here (B&G and DollZone), one with a locking pin system (DollFamily H-Line), and one with a locking shelf/magnet combo (BBB). I really adore the quality of the B&G magnets and how well-fitting they are in the head.

Devin's locking system is interesting. he has three ball bearing shaped pins that match up to round holes in his head. Keeps the headcap on pretty well, actually. (occasionally, he will lose his headcap when I take off the wig.)

Bobobie's headcaps are great. It slides into place and stays on. No randomly falling off, even if the head rolls away or he headbutts somebody.:XD:

17. Nine have a magnetic headcap or one with one magnet and a hook in the back. One has a face-plate with two magnets.
      They all work fine, except for two dolls. One has quite weak magnets and the other has its wig attached to the headcap. It works fine if they're not held head-down.

18. All of my dolls have magnets in their heads. One has magnets and part of a head lock.

19. Mine are currently all older, so they may (in some cases, do) have different styles of attachment than current ones.

My Bobobie has a... putty-on? headcap. It's not really held in place by anything, just a little eye putty stuck inside. I know they've been re-engineered at least once since I got mine, to be more functional. Though, to be fair, he almost never loses his headcap.

My AoD pair have the S-hook/loop combination, and while their headcaps never fall off, they're an absolute nightmare to get off. I may alter them at some point to take magnets instead.

My Puki and LittleFees have snap-on faceplates that work extremely well. It's a mechanical connection that holds very securely.

My RS tinies and Minimee heads have a two-magnet system (one at the front, one at the back) that works fairly well, though the magnets have been detaching lately.

My Soom tinies have a hook at the front and a large magnet down inside the head at the back. Extremely secure, enough that when I just went to check I couldn't actually remember how to get it open at first.

They do definitely all have their advantages and disadvantages!

20. My SDs have headcaps that snap on, and I love them because it's super easy and convenient. (They're a Delf and a Feeple.)

My MSD, though... Is a little annoying; it is held on with magnets, but it also hooks into the S hook. Very difficult to take off quickly! (Dollzone Yume)