1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How does your doll's headcap attach?

May 23, 2011

1. My Doll Family-A JiFeng head has a peg system but one of the pegs broke off and is stuck in its hole. Im too lazy to glue it back on. I prefer magnets.

2. magnetic with a resin hook in the front and peg-like things on the sides
      it's actually kind of hard to get on and off, it only falls off when she falls backwards and hits the ground but it just stays in her wig

3. Two connect via magnets. One connects via the old CP twisting mechanism.
      One of them doesn't have a way to connect so I have to use tape ^^;

4. My older Volks MSDs have a little plastic piece that pegs the headcap to the head (roughly where the magnets would be on newer dolls). It's actually very secure, and I like it a lot because it's easy to open.

I think I sold off everyone who had the finger-breaking elastic/S-hook system, so the others have magnets with varying degrees of "easy to open". I find my Pipos tiny very difficult to open; the magnets are a little too strong for her size.

5. My SDGr boy uses a magnet, because he was ordered last year. Magnets ftw! So easy to put on!

My DD girl has a soft headcap, and all I do is just a little tug and wiggle and pop it goes!

6. My Dear Mine dolls have a strange "faceplate" like system, but instead of a head back it's a small piece that sits on the neck. The head is pretty much whole and attached with magnets to the piece. It looks nice when they're bald, because there's no headcap line, but it can be difficult to work with.

7. All my dolls with headbacks have magnets, thank god. At one point, I had a doll whose head was kept on by a short elastic loop and resin hooks, it slipped out of place all the time and was really annoying to take off or put on! But now, everyone has magnets. A few of them only have magnets, as opposed to magnets and a small hook to keep it in the right position, or little tabs, that kind of thing, so the ones without those I have to make sure I'm not too forceful putting on stubborn wigs. Luckily, those few don't have very stubborn wigs at all. A few of my dolls have a faceplate instead of a headback, and they also have magnets, but are kept in place mostly by resin bits that fit together a certain way. Except my two Unoa hybrids, they both have Buff headbacks (one is Unoa chibi\1.5, the other is Unoa Zero) and neither of them have magnets. I keep the smaller one's face firmly in place with silicone earplugs, and I modified the shape of the bigger one's headcap a teeny bit so it locks together a bit better, and the way her wig goes on, I'm not worried about her face popping off. ^ - ^

8. Most of my dolls have magnetic headcaps, but some use a rubber band connecting the headcap to the s hook. Sometimes I just get lazy though & use putty or painter's tape to keep those on; especially when I'm changing out eyes and such. It can be a pain to get those rubber bands connected just right!

9. Well, Nero, Kat, Jess, Hoshi, and Sera's caps all attach the same, with magnets on top and bottom. Joseph, Albert and Aria's attach with a hook and a single magnet on the bottom. Khorii and Aurora(i assume, she hasnt arrived yet)attach with hooks and a bit of swearing when the hook doesnt line up right XD and Issy's headcap is held on with her strings.

I love the way that all of them EXCEPT for Issy are done, while it does take some swearing with a few of them, thats what happens when i restring them anyway so its not so big a deal. Issy is a real pain in my bum because to remove her headcap i have to completely unstring her and she is so darn tiny that its one mother fluffing load of brimstone to restring her. And yes, i've done it twice in the 6 months i've owned her and will have to do again soon (she needs a new faceup, the old one is rubbing off in places). I suppose the reason she's done that way is a) she's older than most of my dolls, and b) she's really too small for an s-hook to fit in her head. Plus its not like she needs to have her eyes adjusted for photos, her eyes are closed :)

10. My girl who is a angel region little fair Cien. She's old (about 5-8 years old) I've had her for just a little over a year. So magnets didn't exist so her head cap is attached through the s hook that is attached tot he entire body... It takes a little but of strength to get her cap off and on. Her s hook is a little bit too big for her so its a little difficult to attach it to a little hook in her cap.

My boy that I recently got since the end of July illusion spirit msd zhujin. He's new so he has the magnet that attaches the cap to the head. I still need to get used to the fact that I don't need strength just to take off a cap to restring, fixing eyes, etc.

11. My dolls from 2004 to 2006 had the headcaps attached to S-Hooks and the neck elastic. Then they made neck donuts for those dolls to hold the S-hooks in the head and we had to use some other method to hold the headcap in, like rubberbands or sewing elastic.

From 2007 onwards, magnets were put in to hold the headcaps on. And I have one doll that is a tiny and the headcap sort just snaps in not terribly efficiently--the little resin piece snapped off easily and now it's just the wig and some sticky-tack holding it on, but its super-tiny, so it's not a huge deal.

I much prefer the magnets IF they are strong enough and the headcap is sculpted with some ridges so it fits into the head well.

My dolls with the S-hook attachments, I now have the neck doughnut things in them, so they aren't so much trouble, but sometimes it's hard to find the right kind of elastic to attach to the headcap.

12. I wish all my old dolls had a magnetic headcap and removable head without having to take them apart, instead, they have the headcap attacked to the S hook which is kind of frustrating when I buy shirts and I realized that they don't come with snaps on the back and the hole is to small even for the head!

13. All my dolls' headcaps attach using the magnet + resin hook method, but there a couple of variations. Some have the magnet at the bottom of the headcap, and the hook at the top. Some have the magnet at the top of the headcap, and the hook at the bottom. And one has the hook at the top, then the magnet on one side (which is a very odd design and I still haven't worked out quite why the company chose this method).

I'm a big fan of this headcap method, and don't really think I could own a doll with any other system. I'm not even a huge fan of faceplate systems (due to the much more visible separation lines and risk of the face falling loose rather than the headcap).

14. I quite like the CP twisting head caps, except they keep twisting back (they don't really fall off, just looks weird), and sometimes I put it on the wrong way (top side on the bottom) and it gets stuck until I realise I got in on wrong. :/ My other dolls have the magnet only, or magnet with hook system, which would be fine if the magnets don't keep coming out. At one point, more than half my crew had one or more magnets loose, which was a pain until I found some superglue to glue it down. Even then, my Peroth's magnets are always coming out, I kind of gave up on them fitting. Oh, and I have a doll with a face plate, which I didn't like at first cos I didn't feel like it would be secured, but it was rather convenient for changing clothes and such, so no complains for that so far.

15. Mine has a magnet on the top and a resin tab/hook thing on the bottom. I haven't had any problems with it falling off, yet very easy to open. And his head is held on with a large C-hook that I can fit my finger in, so taking his head off to change clothes is very easy!

I was borrowing a friend's doll and her headback was only held on with small magnets. Every time I moved her, it would fall off. That was a pain since I was trying to make clothes.

16. My Johnny's head is magnetic with little shelves inside to keep the cap properly aligned, while my little OT girl utilizes pegs. I definitely prefer the magnets. It's a lot easier to get the back of Johnny's head off, but not so easy that it FALLS off.