1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How does your family react to the hobby ? - Part 2

Jul 3, 2016

1. My family is fairly supportive of this hobby, mostly because another of my hobbies is gaming and this one at least makes me productive :) they prefer seeing me work on making clothes and trying to craft items over seeing me sitting on my butt all day playing dragon age ;D
      They also offer help when I ask for it, my mother is going to knit my SD something and my father agreed on helping me build furnitures so... While it's not really their hobby they participate by offering me their skills, even if they like go tease me about it! (A good example would be comments like "it's ok to take a break from sewing, it's a doll he won't catch a cold" :) )
      They do generally find the dolls good looking too so I'm pretty lucky on that point too.

2. My mum loves them!! When I ordered my first one she made her hats and was always looking up knitting patterns. The only thing she's not crazy about is the cost, but I budget myself with this hobby so she's chill B) I think my dad is a bit weirded out, but I've always been a fan of art so I just explain that its a form of art and a collectible and he seems to get it. I have to lie to him about how much they cost though, he would prob flip if he knew what they actually cost :P

3. My mom collects Barbies, so she kinda gets it, but at the same time she thinks they're too expensive and weird. She also doesn't like that you can take them apart and remove their eyes/wigs/etc.
      My dad kinda treats them like his grandkids. Whenever I take them somewhere he's like "Oh hey that's ___, they look so cute" and like coos over them. He also playfully makes fun of them sometimes, like he'll poke fun at Rise's elf ears, or the fact that Penelope is so much smaller than my other two BJDs.

4. well my father was okay with it at first but when i started buying a lot of them he got furious and told me to stop buying more XD so i had to sell few of them or give them to friends, my elder sister doesnt like bjd at all she still tells me to not own one she loves the dollfie dream or anime like dolls XD

5. My mom is also very supportive of my doll! She gets excited with me and she's going to help me sew an outfit for my doll soon ^^ She's the only one I can talk to about it. My fiance and his mom do not like it at all, they hate how expensive it is and thinks I shouldn't spend my money on something like this. But I keep trying to tell them it makes me happy and it just seems like they don't care. But I'm happy I have my mom, she's the only one that matters the most to me <3

6. I would say that my family is supportive, but they're not a big fan of gothic face ups. My mom says that Reika is "different" and my partner told me that she looks demonic and that eyes do not help. lol but quite a few of my con family adores her.

7. My parents are the only family members who know about my dolls (I'm only child, so no siblings to creep out lol). I have a couple friends who know about the dolls are support it. As for my parents, my dad doesn't really show any interest at all to be honest, he always laughs whenever I take doll photos, or if he sees me carry them around haha :sweat
      My mom says they're way too much money and that I should be saving that cash or spend it on something more wise. But she did get me a doll for christmas one year, so I don't think she's that opposed to it :whee: She does like to make fun of them though, especially the boy dolls if they look feminine...

8. Hmm, well I consider my blood relatives and my friends both to be family.

As far as my blood relatives, my mother likes the dolls but she always makes exaggerated gestures and noises when I tell her about the price and finds things such as added costs for body types and resin colour to be ridiculous. My brother thinks it's an unnecessary hobby to begin with as well as my grandmother. My few cousins that do know think it's a beautiful hobby (but then again they don't know the prices xDD)

My boyfriend is super supportive. He actually thinks most dolls like porcelain ones are unnerving, but when I showed him a face up I made for a friend, he said that it wasn't creepy to him because "I was the one that made her". He does get a bit worried about prices sometimes, but he collects figurines and plays YuGi Oh, so he knows what it's like to spend hundreds of dollars on a hobby. And my best friends are also super supportive and are in the hobby as well!

9. My husband is very supportive of all my hobbies, thankfully, so he has no problem with my collecting of BJDs. He takes no interest in them, but they don't creepy him out and he's happy that I'm happy.

10. My mother thinks they are awesome! She even makes clothing for BJDs, though she's moved on from trying to sell them (really only because she hated having to ship things), when I get my new dolls she is super excited to make new clothing for them! Other then that it's just my cats. One of them always wanted to sit on them (no, not allowed) the other hates them and walks semi circles around them!xD

Outside of my family the topic hasn't really come up with most people I know aside from my girlfriend. She isn't really into them, but she thinks they are cute and has no problem with me being interested. She's more into the characters then the physical dolls I think.

11. At first my mom thought it was a totally ridiculous waste of money, but then I guess she saw how beautiful bjds can be and all the work that goes into them, so she likes them now! She really likes my faceups, actually. Other than family, my boyfriend is very supportive of the whole hobby and always listens to me ramble on about doll stuff haha!

12. My parents where fine with it because I used my own money to buy them.
      My mum was absolutely ok from the start, but dad I had to clarify the purpose of them and why I wanted to spend that much my on a doll.
      My brother wasnt surprised at all that I was getting one and insisted I should get a smartdoll instead (which now I have haha), likes them and puts up with me showing him the clothes I made for them now hahaha~

Not family, but friends that had no idea about the hobby at all where just like "what you have a doll?!?" (I didn't tell them I ordered it), but I have/had 'strange' hobbies to begin with so they wasn't too surprised by me getting it. Now they like and ask questions about them and 'what clothes I making them this time' hehe :)
      So overall, Ive been pretty supported by my family and friends joining this hobby! :D

13. When it was presented as a doll thing my mom was pretty confused because I've never like things typically associated with femininity. I played with cars and action figures as a kid and when I did have dolls I played superheroes or pirates with them :lol: But when I explained it as form of artistic expression she got it. I've always been super artsy.

14. My parent do not know how much they cost and hope they never will. My mom think they look pretty but she also think that it's too childish to focus have a doll at my page.

Out side of my family, I get the usual "why waste money" to "that's creepy" and so on...

15. My mom is super supportive! Almost too supportive, except for maybe the price tag.
      She likes crafts, so she's even helped making clothes for them. I think she secretly wants one herself xD

My dad and stepmom also aren't directly opposed but... they don't really understand the hobby.
      They keep jokingly comparing him to having a boyfriend or a child when I mention it -.-
      I think they're slowly getting used to it though.

16. My mother and grandmother enjoy seeing my dolls. Whenever a package comes in and I come to get it both my mother and grandmother ask me what dolls I've gotten. I would open the package and show them. I would get positive feedback from them. My grandmother is really cute with her reactions. She would look at them and say "Aww baby, that's really cute! Are you going to get her a little dress like those dresses you get?" I'm into lolita fashion and she loves those dresses too. My mother would ask me the price on some dolls and I would tell her. She kind of doesn't like the price I would pay for my dolls but she wouldn't stop me since it is my money.

My father doesn't care about them. I don't think he ever cared about the things I'm into. That's alright though everyone doesn't have to like the same thing that I do. My brother is terrified of them, he can't deal with claymation and dolls. So, I'm sure to keep them away from him. My sisters are kind of "eh" about it. My nephew just wants to play with them. I tell him that they're dolls that aren't really for playing.

I'll share a little funny story about getting my first doll and showing my mother. The first doll that I got was my Mikhaila from Leekeworld. When I got her the eyes I put on her were light pink ones with no pupils. When I showed my mother she was freaking out screaming "WHERE ARE HER EYES!?!" I was explaining that they didn't have pupils. She found that to be a bit creepy but my grandmother loved it. I love showing new things to my mother and grandmother. They love the things that I get and make they are so supportive.

My mother rather me get bjds instead of plushies. Which is kind of funny to me. But hey, It's all good! :mwahaha

17. when i got my first bjd purchase (a floating head) in the mail, i decided to explain the concept of bjds and the hobby to my mum. at first i thought she was freaked out because of her expression, but it turned out she was just trying to show her enthusiasm for me (because i was obviously excited talking to her). we ended up talking about the creative side of the hobby and i know she fully supports the idea (as she always has - sorry mum for ever doubting you!!), and would definitely help make clothes and accessories if i asked, which im grateful for!
      otherwise, she is the only person who knows this new hobby i am getting into. i havent shown or told my brother cause he doesnt live at home haha... i dont know how he'll react, but its nice to know at least one person is fine with it :'- )

funnily enough, my mum also was concerned about the dolls lack of eyes haha... admittedly, that is probably the freakiest thing about a blank doll to a non-collector lol

18. My mom is supportive of my hobby because she supports anything that makes me happy. My dad is supportive of my hobby because he is a gun enthusiast, so he understands what it's like to have a very expensive hobby that involves customization and maintenance.

My siblings don't understand my hobby at all! My brother says that my dolls remind him of "a horror movie", and my sisters just don't say much about it but I can tell they think it's weird.

My friends' opinions are mixed. One of them dislikes BJDs because she heard bad things about the community. But on the other hand, one of my other friends is supportive for the same reasons as my dad, though his passion is for guitars instead of guns.

19. I am so verry lucky ^-^ the entirety of my family that knows about my dolls is 100% behind them ^-^ my mom was really excited when i first started collecting BJD's because my mom had been collecting baby dolls for a very long time ^-^
      my Dad was excited that i would have something that i could use for my art that worked so well. My sister collected ever after high and monster high dolls and thought my BJD's were really cool she even got one of the her own.
      My family always comes and sits with me when i get a new doll and helps me with opening.
      And my friends even got together and bought me a doll for my birthday^-^
      So yeah long story short my Friends and Family are amazing and completely support my hobby^-^ (sometimes my mom comes home with things shes found for my dolls ^-^)

20. I know I've posted in this thread before, but I'd like to give a more up to date account of how my family reacts to my hobby.

My parents are now 100% supportive of my BJD hobby. They saw how happy and passionate I was when I took care of my Mystic Kids boys, so they were more than happy to let me have the 48 cm Obitsu that I've had my eye on for the past several months.

My dad likes to compare my passion for dolls to his passion for guns, because they're both expensive, customizable (sp) and require maintenance.

My mom thinks BJDs are beautiful and gets really excited when I show her my crafts and photos. She even wanted to help me pick out "clothes" for my Obitsu! (which are techincally just socks but that's what I prefer to use to craft most of my dolls' clothes) Part of me wonders if my mom would enjoy being part of the BJD hobby too, but I think she'd feel too guilty about spending so much money on herself (Heaven knows I struggle with that quite a bit myself)