1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How does your family react to the hobby ? - Part 2

Jul 3, 2016

1. My family - that is my husband, my two teenage daughters and mother in law, knows and they do not mind. They support me in this hobby, listen to me talk about and look at all the dolls I show them. They do like when I update them about the latest and they can say their thoughts, without thinking that they will hurt me (if I like a doll and they think it is an odd one as an example). I ask them for advice and tips too. Sometimes I can see y daughters play with my dolls. Dress them, change their pose or just look at them. Outside my family there can be a bit strange faces and wondering thoughts - is she right in her head? :lol:

2. That's awful. I don't understand why people fear dolls so much.

The effort is pretty amazing. The money is pretty amazing too haha

It's great that you have such a supportive family! Yeah aside from a few chosen friends I keep my bjd to myself for fear of people thinking he's creepy

#62 IsabellaL, Nov 24, 2016
      Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2017
    3. My dad passed away 4 years ago, but he knew I liked BJDs and wanted to get one. (I was in high school at the time.) He helped me ease into them with some off-topic dolls and often took interest in what I was ordering and how I was doing faceups and stuff. My mom is actually in the hobby with me. She has about 10 dolls of her own. ^^

My fiancé is very supportive of me, though he gets annoyed with craft stuff scattering around our apartment from time to time. xD I try my best to keep it in my doll room to give him space from all that. But he always says my first doll always will be his favorite.

4. That's good that your fiancé is so supportive and it's very cool that your mother is in the hobby as well!

5. My mom likes them when they're not bald and blank XD But she definitely thinks I spend too much money on them. My fiacé adores them. He bought "me" one this year, not quite sure whether it was for me or for him, though X).

6. Well, my daughter got me into the BJD hobby but I have always loved and collected dolls. If my family knew how much I have spent on this hobby, they would probably be shocked and get after me for spending so much! My son is okay with my dolls, not that he really cares.

7. My parents know about my hobby and they know these dolls aren't cheap but I don't think they know exactly how much these dolls cost LOL. My mum finds my dolls' outfits and shoes really cute (especially the tinies'), but my dad, I think he's secretly afraid of them. Once I fell asleep without turning off my PC which had audio running in the background and the next day he was like, "erm, I heard someone talking in your room yesterday". He thought it was my dolls talking and I didn't bother to correct him lmao. :lol:

8. My close family do not mind at all. They're happy to see me enjoy the hobby, and I sometimes show them what I'm up to if they want to(‐^▽^‐)

My little sister was a bit scared at first, but she recently liked to look at the differences between stock pictures and the customized doll in my room, ahah!

9. All my family's reactions were pretty hilarious! Both my mum and my brother seemed horrified when I came into the kitchen with a 'severed head' with a gunky mod by the previous owner, and hollow eyes, and proceeded to excitedly tell them this was my new child and my new stupidly expensive hobby haha! I don't think the really understand but my mum has been fairly supportive I think she is just pretty happy that I have a new interest that keeps me busy, she seemed quite impressed with my dedication to cleaning him up and such~ I do however fudge the prices a bit to her >_>; she doesn't need to know quite how expensive things are~

10. My parents hated it at first but then my mom helped me make things and my dad helped me restring and stuff. But both are now gone and no one else has a reaction because they don't see them or live with me!

11. My parents are pretty supportive especially my mother. Her favorite part is the wig making. One my aunts collects dolls so she's been really great and loves when I bring my bjds when I come to visit. I hope that we get to go to a doll show together someday. She's like a kid in a candy store when it comes to doll shops. Others in my family are okay about the hobby but I have to pick who I talk to about it because some of them can be quite horrible when they don't understand something.

12. Hi all,

I was just wondering what people around you (family, friends, significant other, co-worker, classmates) think about you being in the hobby? Do you keep it a secret or not?

For myself, my friends and co-workers know about it, and some of them are really interested in it too, but I'm afraid to tell my family, especially my mom, because if they knew how much a doll costs. I'd definitely get a scolding of a lifetime *_* (yes, even if I spent my own money for it).

How about you guys?

13. I've been pretty lucky.......... My friends say my doll's are creepy, however they do see the art aspect of my collection and encourage me to do more. My family is very supportive and their always interested in my most recent dolly activities. I consider myself a very responsible when it comes to money. Bills first doll's later that's my rule. I don't hide my hobby I'm 33 and done hiding things. Either people like it of they don't :)

14. Its my hobby - why should I care about other people approval?
      About co-worker/classmates - just dont tell them, because they will think, that spend 600 euro on doll is crazy (while, for example, spend few euro/day on their smoking hobby is normal.)

15. I'm very selective about who I tell, from experience. I told a close friend and only received negative comments but I've told other friends and had interest so I assess the person I'm thinking of telling before the reveal. Mostly it's best to just not mention it unless you know there is some interest.
      It makes no difference to me what kind of reaction I get, it's not going to make any difference to my hobby.

16. when i got my first doll i was worried my mum would get angry at me for buying a doll at my age :sweat
      instead she thought she was super cute!! i dont know why i expected negativity ive been collecting anime figs for years and shes always excited to see them :XD:!! i just didnt mention the prices of course...

17. I don't just go around telling people about it, but a few people know. Most of my friends don't think much about it since we're all young adults with different interests. I think they already know I'm weird and have accepted that. :XD: One artist friend I showed them to actually got interested in BJDs and wants to make her own now.
      My family doesn't really understand why I would spend that much on dolls, but they're also fine with it since, again, I'm supporting myself. Sometimes my dad or brother even surprises me with a doll-sized item he's made just because he knows I'll like it. So I guess I'm pretty lucky there. :3nodding:
      Other than that, I don't usually tell people. Sometimes I mention that I make doll clothes as a hobby, but I don't usually bring up the price of the dolls or anything. People also notice when they come to my place, but I've gotten more positive reactions than anything. :)

18. Omg! Everyone thinks I'm crazy with the exception of one friend who is also a doll lover! My husband even, which sucks, he just doesn't get it. I've been collecting barriers for years and got my first bjd this summer. She's my pride and joy. My hubby has no idea how much she cost lol. I'm 36, I love collecting barbies and now bjd, it's my hobby, and I don't care what people think. My friends are supportive, they just don't understand and that's ok

19. Pretty much everyone that knows about my doll gives me nothing but negativety. I usually don't tell many people anymore and don't talk about dolls to people, anymore. Everyone think they are creepy, I'm too old for dolls, or spend to much on them. There have been a couple exceptions to this but what can ya do?

20. Up until now i only told a few of my really close friends... and even then i'm always afraid how they might react..
      My sister knows about it, but i haven't told her exactly how high prices go. she knows they're 'expensive'
      My boyfriend has some real issues with the cost but he tries to understand...
      I would probably never tell my mother. If she happens to come across one i think we'll both just pretend its not there XD
      I think my dad saw one once... but to him i think its just a silly hobby. I also think we shouldn't care what other people do but... its hard right xD

Haha xD thats a good tactic ;)

#80 ElenoreLoretje, Nov 30, 2016
      Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2017