1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How does your family react to the hobby ? - Part 2

Jul 3, 2016

1. My family has been very accepting of the hobby. Each of them have their own opinion on it, of course. Most of them think they're extremely creepy, but they also understand I sculpt miniatures for a living so they're very supportive.

It's funny when they don't really want to look at them, but when I'm sculpting the first thing they ask are things like "Do you need to buy another size maybe?" or, my personal favorite, is whenever they're in the store they'll send me a photo of a miniature. They love finding things for them from makeshift chairs to dressers and everything in-between. They just hate seeing them. I am very thankful for their support, so I tend not to be bothered by the fact they ask me not to bring them in public with them. Or if I visit any of them they ask if I could keep them hidden. I don't mind respecting their fear of the dolls xD just happy for them understanding how much I love this hobby.

2. My husband doesn't really support my interest in these dolls at all. He doesn't find the "point" in them, or why I get enjoyment out of them. Since I don't really have one yet, this puts a real damper on the "getting" one part. It's not something he would spring on me for Christmas or my birthday (even thought that would be awesome) but I think once our daughter gets a little older and I can rejoin the work force and have my own money again. I think he might warm up to the idea eventually. Especially after I get one.

3. My mom finds my hobby slightly weird but doesn't question it, but my dad sees potential profits in it. He encourages me to improve in doing faceups to possibly start a faceup business alongside selling repainted OT dolls. One of my sisters does find the hobby quite interesting, the other mildly creepy. This is kind of a closet hobby for me, but I still love it anyways.

4. they all think i'm crazy lol. granted they're all boys tho. hubby and 2 kids. that's ok, i don't care

5. My family doesn't seem to care either way. They think it's expensive but they acknowledge it as a more 'artistic' hobby, and I've always been a bit of an artist. In fact, everyone (except my mum) has been an artist at some point or another. So they respect it as another expensive artist thing.
      ... Or maybe they expected this from me since I was always doll crazed.

6. My husband is very supportive, he doesn't just put up with me talking about dolls, he'll ask to see the ones I like (unprompted!). My mum is also supportive and my 8 year old son (i guess my 18 month old is too, he always wants to kiss them:3nodding:).

Just recently I had my sister in law and her partner come round and I was really worried how they'd react but they really liked my dolls. In fact my my sister in law has actually become interested in them.

7. every one in my family has a hobby. And my friends know that i am crazy

8. My parents are supportive of it, they bought me two of my dolls actually. My grandma is supportive, as she collects dolls too (not BJD, but porcelain). I haven't really gotten much of an opinion from everybody else. My inlaws find them interesting, my hubby wanted one of his own actually lol.

9. My family has long ago gotten used to my collecting and repainting fashion dolls, and my grandmother collected porcelain dolls. So when I announced I was buying a BJD, I think my family just sort of saw it as a natural thing.

Of course, just because they're used to my dolls doesn't mean they all love them. My SO is pretty ambivalent about the whole topic. Basically, as long as I don't complain about muffler parts and half-repaired toasters in the family room, she doesn't complain about doll clothes drying on the kitchen counter. My mom loves my fashion dolls, and was super excited when I showed her pictures of the BJD I'm waiting on. My sister thinks doll collecting is childish and weird, but I've always been weird according to her (we get along pretty well, despite having vastly different interests and personalities). I've got a "strong" sort of personality, so none of my family members have ever dared say anything TOO disparaging about my doll obsession. XD

10. My mother likes small things just like me, so she sometimes gets me small tea sets (cups and teapot), and once got me a small bookcase. Though she doesn't really tell me anything about it. Mostly she (and some other closer relatives) compliments me about the things I make for my dolls. ^_^

11. Of all my family about hobbies only knows my dad. And he is good to the dolls because he did not know how much they cost. The rest of the family do not know anything, because I am sure that they will not understand me.

12. Same. My mother loves the dolls. But anyone else I try to keep it hidden. Not that it's the weirdest hobby in the world! I think the price would certainly freak them out the most.

13. My brother hate this hobby and dont understand this.
      My mother startet to collect BJDs, this year, too. :D

14. It took my husband a little time to warm up to the idea of dolls in general. However, once he understood that I wasn't "playing" with them like a kid would and it was more of an art/crafting/photography based thing (for me at least), he was all for it. He asks questions about them, occasionally comments on their outfits, and sometimes helps with the photography. :aheartbea

My family (parents, siblings, in-laws, etc) know I have a few dolls I sew for but I haven't really shown them the extent of the hobby. I'm not scared they would judge me or anything, since I played with, sewed for, styled, and photographed my Barbies and American girl doll well into my teens. It just really hasn't come up. Plus, I keep my personal social media accounts and BJD social media accounts separate.

15. For me it honestly depends on which family members. Like my mom thinks Bjd are a waste of money. My grandmother thinks they're beautiful but you only need one honey. And my dad thinks they're an interesting creation (the ball joints and everything) but don't waste money on so many just be happy with what you have. It's a mixed pot of feelings everyone has. My biggest supporter is my fiancé. And I'm very happy to have someone who loves that I have a hobby I'm so passionate about.

16. My mom is okay with my doll. She's even offering to buy clothes for him, I'm the only one who keeps refusing. :lol: In my defense, it's because that means another trip to customs office which I hate, and also to save money. I'd rather sew for my doll.

My eldest sis doesn't care at all. Good for me honestly.:)

My elder sis has kicked the box along with its packaging when it first arrived. Then she dropped it once. I think she might want to break it.:|:vein

At least my best friend, even though creeped out, loved it as much as I did. I have really good friends.:whee:

17. I don't have a doll yet, but I have mentioned it to my family before. My mom seems to like the idea of it. She saw my roommates and asked when I was getting one. My brothers are slightly concerned by them. They tolerate the idea so far, but are very weary because they are afraid that they would move or something. My dad seems to have no opinion either way on the matter.

A bunch of my friends are really into the idea and even though they think it is a bit weird they all have been down for me having bjds.

18. My mother is generally supportive about my doll collection, and she understands that bjd's are a significant increase in quality compared to fashion dolls so she doesn't give me a hard time about planning to buy one. My dad doesn't know about it and I don't intend to tell him. Neither of my parents have much room to give me a hard time about my hobbies though, because both of them have expensive hobbies of their own. My boyfriend is 100% supportive and that's what really matters because he's going to be the one who has to live around them when we move in together. I limit my collection out of respect for him. He doesn't like clutter so I want to keep my collection at a reasonable size so that it's not overwhelming for either of us.

19. My mam is really supportive if she likes the doll in question, however if she doesn't like the sculpt then she tells me not to buy it. My dad however is more on the realistic side of things and tells me not to spend so much money on dolls. However they're both happy if it makes me happy so they don't mind.

20. My younger sibling knows, my parents don't and I don't think I'll ever tell them. I don't live with my parents and they're not super supportive of my choices unless those choices align perfectly with their tastes. I think they'd find dolls childish.
      If/when they come to visit, I think it'll be perfectly reasonable to store my dolls/doll stuff away so that they don't see them.