1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How does your family react to the hobby ? - Part 2

Jul 3, 2016

1. I sort of figured my dad wouldn't approve and was a bit surprised when he didn't seem to care... then I realised: He's just as bad as I am with dolls, only with computers. The man has a veritable zoo of laptops in his office. And frankly, he treats them about like I do my dolls: Upgrading them, taking care of them, babying them until they're what he considers finished, playing with them all in turn so they don't get lonely.... He was more interested in my java class than on what I chose to spend the money he gave me for christmas.

2. All the women are big doll collectors so they love it.

3. Most of my family are completely indifferent, their eyes kind of roll up into their heads when the dolls come into the conversation, but my son is very active in the doll community and is actually the reason I discovered it!

4. I made the mistake of mentioning prices to my mom when I was telling her about plans to get my first doll, and her reaction was pretty negative. (So far all the dolls I want to purchase are in the $4-500 range, so I'm not even on the cheaper end...) I know she's not going to stop me, since it's my job and my money, but I'm expecting some passive-aggressive comments on her part. This isn't the first time I've blown big money on something she doesn't "get" (I occasionally collect anime figures and I'm dedicated to acquiring all the merchandise for my favourite comic series), so I know what to expect from her.

I did ask her about helping me make outfits for my dolls, since she knows how to sew very well and has made her own clothes in the past. And she said yes to that! So I'm looking forward to that. Maybe if she helps make some clothes for them she'll get attached? One can hope, haha.

5. At first my parents were shocked by the size of my first doll (a 73cm boy), and kept asking me why I want to have such a huge doll. But then they realized how I cherish them, they finally accept my hobby. My mom kitted some clothing for my dolls and even asked her friends to knit for my dolls too LOL. But they still dun want me to spend too much money for the dolls as the BJD stuffs are quite expensive.

6. So I posted months ago about not telling my family about the hobby. Well, today I finally ended up casually mentioning it to my mom and showed her a full doll and a head (she mentioned something about seeing creepy heads in my room before :lol:). Upon closer inspection, she said that they were beautiful and she loved the faceups. She even encouraged me to buy more bodies for my heads and suggested display shelves/cases for them.

She had no problems about the cost of the dolls. Granted, I didn't quite mention how expensive they were, but she knows that any hobby requires spending some kind of money. She knows the heads can go upwards to $200USD. So... Yay for understanding family members!

7. My mom thinks it's crazy how much they cost but she makes them things and helps me pick stuff for them to buy. She also is putting in her opinion on my first baby's boyfriend that I hope to buy soon. And my dad is fine with them as long as I don't leave them sitting around naked cause then he walks by and lays tissues over them xD And I got my sister into the hobby as well! ^^

8. My family doesn't say anything about my doll collecting, I've always been a little... um... unconventional, they probably see my hobby as just one of my quirks. I look at my interest in dolls as kind of genetic, my grandmother had a collection of dolls, my mom collects dolls and teddy bears, even my grandfather had a little collection of antique celluloid dolls.... so ya...I kind of inherited the doll collecting bug.

9. My family is pretty neutral, they don't really care. They look at me like I'm weird, but then again, they always look at my like that X3

10. My husband tolerates it but does not like the cost of my dolls. Happily once the doll is home he warms up to them as he sees how happy it makes me. The rest of my family politely listens when I talk about it but they have no real interest.

11. None of my family minded me getting a doll since my mom loves the dolls so much she was very supportive. My sisters like me buying them since they have interest in other things :mwahaha. But they do take pictures of them and love them :love.
      As for my brothers they get creeped out very easily when I set the dolls in the same room as them :mwahaha.

12. I've told a handful of people but no one from my family except my twin. She thinks my Obitsu is really cute ^-^. A coworker mentioned that she gets that uncanny valley feeling but that's not her fault. And a friend is an artist so she understands that aspect.

I don't think I would ever, ever tell my older siblings or parents. We grew up with the mindset that if you can't do manual labor, you're lazy. College is for pricks, anime is for kids. Things like that. Art is okay, but dolls would be out of the question.

It's incredibly easy to imagine the faces they'd make if I told them ;(.

13. I live with my mom and have been collecting dolls my entire life so she's used to them and supportive of my hobby. My dad however doesn't like them claiming that's the reason I don't have many friends among other things (i don't get his logic). My sister used to like them and want them for herself, but has now last interest which is a little sad. The rest of my family either doesn't know or acts kind of awkward about them. So I never bring them up for discussion. Luckily my mom is a lot more comfortable with the idea than the rest of my family.

14. When I showed my mom the one I fell in love with, she told me I could save and buy her. She thought the doll was very pretty! Some months later, I re-found the doll and fell in love again. My mom saw how much she inspired me and even helped me pay for her. I'm really grateful for everything she's done for me <3
      The rest of my family just left these fun messages about creepy living dolls when my mom and brother told them the box had arrived. I know they think I'm weird, but they always have, so I don't really mind. At least they're not saying anything about the price xDD

15. My mom thinks that they're on the expensive side, but doesn't stop me from buying them as I'm using my own earned money. She doesn't want me getting too many though and I understand the sentiment, but we'll see what the future holds!

16. Thankfully everyone has been very positive, my grandmother even helped me fund one of my dolls! I always get some jokes, but nothing negative.

17. my family reacts in a neutral way when it comes to my doll hobby. my sisters are okay with my dolls one of my sisters actually wants to have one too lol but they warned me not to spend too much. my older brother on the other hand, he is not supportive ;__; he scolds me sometimes even though I buy them with my own hard earned money at work. My mom is supportive and likes to look at my dolls and she always tells me how pretty my dolls are while my dad doesn't know (he doesn't live here in the city anymore so yeah XD)

18. My parents don't care. I was showing the one I just ordered as my first to my mother. Her only comment was "This is why I never know what to get you for your birthday or Christmas. You make enough money that if you want something you just get it yourself."

They got me a very nice bourbon for my birthday btw. I have to admit, I'm not turning that down

19. I finally told my parents that I bought SD dolls during my recent trip and took them to a BJD themed cafe. I thought they would be shocked and nag at me like crazy like how they do when I buy anime figures but instead they seemed rather supportive and calm :aeyepop: I'm so happy they do not think the dolls are scary or that I'm weird. My dad even said the small little ones look cute. They also helped me to pose my ot doll for pictures and chose some SD clothes for my "on-the-way" doll since I'm too indecisive. I guess that saying it while on holiday also helped since their mood was really good ^^;

20. My parents are pretty indifferent, and my granny thinks I'm too old to play with dolls.