1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How does your family react to the hobby ? - Part 2

Jul 3, 2016

1. My parents have always been supportive, and I'm grateful of that ^^ They didn't even hesitate to offer me a help when 13-year old me tried to order my first doll back on 2009. My mother actually liked it, and it brought as closer together because I started sewing and knitting and she was happy to help me getting started in my projects. I've continued knitting ever since and it has become our shared hobby. Other siblings haven't said anything about my hobby, I haven't even asked from them.

My partner on the other hand.. I didn't tell him about my doll in over a year xD I just felt awkward and kind of hide it from him thinking that he would label me. But when I had enough courage to actually tell him about this (it was last fall), he didn't think it was that big of a deal. He still thinks it's little odd that adults collect dolls, but to quote him: "If this makes you happy, just continue it. It makes me happy to see that you are happy and have made lots of new friends."

2. My family didn't react well to my wanting to join this hobby. I told them I was planning to buy Wren, my first BJD there was a huge argument where I was basically called a idiot for spending that much money on a doll, but in the end they told me to do whatever I wanted (my mother later told me she thought I would back out and not get him, or regret getting him and sell him straight away but I didn't and I love him to bits). Now that I have him my mother has realised how much he means to me and that he's here to stay but both my parents do complain when I spend money on clothes and stuff for him still. My sister loves my dolls and often comes to play with my Hujoo Minipin, Eva, and will help me pick clothes and stuff for my dolls. I haven't told my family that I want to collect the dolls yet (I'm pretty sure they think he was a one off), which I'm worried about doing - I'm most probably going to order my next one before I tell them so "whats done is done" XD

3. I've always loved dolls. Ever since I was a little boy. lol
      Because I am a boy, I was never given a doll by my parents. I played with other girls dolls growing up lol

Back in 2006, a couple of friends of mine bought me my first doll. A Mini-Fee Shiwoo. I named him Clive.

My family at this point was supportive of me and all of the things I enjoyed.
      They actually think it's a neat hobby. Even my brother thinks it's cool that I like it.
      He said, "Well, there are worse things you could be into, like meth!" lol

4. Sounds like good friends :D

5. While my dad is fairly astonished when I tell him about how much I paid for the items that come in the mail, he's also been really supportive! He understand everyone has their :crazy" thing they spend their money on, and my dolls are mine. c:
      On top of that, he's even taken to trying to make some BJD items for his 3D printing shop! A few people have taken the bite, which is awesome! Otherwise, he's made me some really awesome things for my boys. <3
      My mom doesn't really brush over the topic much, lol.

6. My husband such a is supportive sweetie:love he actually bought me Emma, my female doll. My mom is also cool with the hobby, she helps me find little things for my dollies. The rest of my family is either scared of them, thinks they are ugly, or thinks I am a weirdo! :XD:

7. My dad is very open-minded, so he finding BJD very gorgeous and he even give me his opinion about my first doll (who comes at home for september ! A M from IoS =D), my stepmother is the same as my dad and my brother doesn't care x)
      But I never had weird words about BJD.

8. Although my mother collects Madame Alexander dolls, she would never understand the bjd's. Her dolls are for holiday decoration, not playing with. And I rather enjoy posing my bjd's and taking pictures. There is also the cost factor, but I try to keep my folks well out of my financial talk. Then again, I shall explain my parents as I usually do, tongue in cheek of course. I am fond of telling people that I was raised by psychologists, in a barn. And that it was like being raised by wolves, only slightly less civilized. Which of course is vastly out of reality.

9. I have same problem with my family frowning upon the hobby because of the price tag, but luckily I've managed to convert my mum into acceptance and my dad doesn't really care either way

10. my family seems cool with it. I love the reactions from family and friends when you have change an outfit or diorama and they actually notice. I have one friend who makes a beeline to the doll display to see if anything is new. He has no interest in collecting dolls, but appreciates them. I love that about him

11. A while ago I mentioned in the "Do you hide your hobby from certain people?"-thread that I wouldn't tell my mother about my new doll hobby because "I can already hear her going: ".........it's your money.""
      Well.... 8D

Today I was helping my mom measure some fabrics that she's going to put for sale at a flea market. She makes clothes every now and then, hence all the fabric. I asked if I could take some for myself and she said yes. I kept taking bits and pieces of different kinds of fabric. You know, for doll stuff. After a few hours and a small pile of fabric she finally asked if I was making something. And there really was no reason to lie, so I said asian ball jointed dolls were my new hobby and I was going to make something for them. I said they were really expensive, but I also mentioned they are hand made and take a long time to make.
      My mom seemed actually happy about my hobby. : D I have a relative who makes bigger dolls (not bjd). She chooses heads and legs and hands and wigs etc. for each doll, so my mother already had some kind of understanding about dolls and she said that said relative might like talking with me.
      I started talking more about the dolls and my mom liked to listen. She started to look at the fabrics and go "this could be made in to belt and this could be a hat or a bag". She doesn't even know what bjds look like yet. : D

Later on my dad went to the living room to watch tv and my mom said smiling "did Saapas (not my real name) tell you about her new hobby?" Then I told him about it and went deeper in to explaining what the hobby is about and my dad was really interested. I told about the creative side of the hobby and my dad was intrigued about the whole thing.
      Neither of my parents found dolls weird or childish or anything. ^_^ I think my mom is just excited that I'm interested in making doll clothes since she's made many clothes along the years and likes sewing. That was one of the reasons why I told her what I was going to do with the fabric. I'm not experienced in making any kind of clothing myself and I don't own a sewing machine. I was hoping to get some help from her and make something together. :)

I spent the rest of the evening going through my mother's fabric boxes.
      She did ask me later in the evening what the doll cost and I said "we are talking about hundreds" and her face went Σ(°д°)
      I didn't tell her my doll cost over 400 dollars, but I don't have to share everything. :> I talked about hobbies being expensive in general and she agreed. She took it pretty well in the end. She said that as long as one knows their own financial situation and is in a good place to spend the money, it's ok. ^_^

I must say I couldn't help but notice how she was looking at me from the living room, smiling to herself while I was going through her fabric boxes down the hall. I sat there pretending not to notice, but I know my mom is happy we have something in common.

12. My mother is used to my strangeness and is amusedly tolerant (and a little opinionated about what doll looks better when i sit her down to look at dolls online with me) She was confused at first about the sudden interest in these dolls but I told her I had been pining for them for many years now. She is of the mentality of as long as you pay your rent and the bills you are in charge of, we will be fine. My father and sisters on the other hand.... I don't ever (if possible) want them to know... I hate looking like that sister to them ( the lazy weirdo sister who hasn't started college yet) My father knows I'm strange but he would never stop with the teasing and...... I just hope my mother never lets it slip (which is a longshot cause she likes everyone to be on the same page, and she like telling people everything...)

My two closest friends on the other hand always love the dolls.
      I'm actually waiting for a bjd Sans doll maker I found (Yes, she is contracted with Toby Fox too!!) to make an announcement for her pre-orders so I can help my closest friend to buy him! She only makes 10 dolls per pre-order so I'm very nervous about missing her announcements..

13. Such a sweet story! Reading it made me happy :D

14. I think my parents find it a little odd but are supportive. When my dad came to visit he even commented on how pretty one of my dolls was. The rest of my family doesn't know and doesn't need to find out :lol:

15. Just had to add this onto my original post.

I've gotten my mom more engaged in projects I'm working on with my dolls. She has a background with sewing and creating patterns, and is helping me out with that. Also, recently she told me she wants me to customize one for her:XD:. She specifically wants a Lord of the Rings elf boy. I'm eventually going to grant her that wish :).

I brought one of my boys to campus last semester, and had pretty decent reactions. One instructor even, when I asked him if dolls freaked him out, he looked at me a bit oddly and replied "Why would they freak me out?" (Not ad verbatim, but something along those lines. I can't recall exactly what was said :XD:). I've also introduced them to a couple people I know and a friend of mine, and they've been fascinated by them. It's got me inspired enough to make a Mirodoll Thunder I have into a Vulcan for my friend (She loves Star Trek, especially Spock.) My friend really admires the ones I've shown her, and I want her to have one too :kitty2.

16. My parents think it's weird and my step-dad calls my 5 Star Doll Alyssa named Ruitae, "The Bride of Chuckie" but they know she makes me happy and I still show them the things I make for her and they accept that it's a hobby of mine. My boyfriend doesn't really get it either but he still listens to me ramble about dolls and gives his opinion on certain sculpts. So overall it's really a mixed bag. I'm okay with it though.

17. Some of my family teases and pokes fun at me. but it doesnt get to me. I kindly remind them that I like my dolls more than I like them. Then there are my family members who, even tho they dont understand it, totally support my doll obsession. My mom brags about the faceups on my new dolls, My cousin went and hiked two miles with me just to find the perfect spot for a doll photo, and my younger teenage sisters always have to know my dolls names.
      I think it helps that I am not a social person so its easy for me not to care about the people who are negative about it.

18. My mother thinks it's a little weird and a very expensive hobby. She isn't negative about it, she just doesn't understand the appeal. My brother thinks that I should spend my money on things like clothes and such (like he does). My other family members don't know about my dolls or my other hobbies.

#158 fuu-sensei, Jun 24, 2017
      Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    19. I've loved dolls since i was a kid. My mom got me into it. And my dad is just chillax! :D

20. My mother doesn't mind my hobby since it makes me happy but my grandmother refuses to understand. She thinks that dolls are only for children and that I am immature.