1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How does your family react to the hobby ? - Part 2

Jul 3, 2016

1. My hubby is very supportive of my doll collecting. He knows that yes, I will spend quite a bit on a doll, but I do it through layaway, or if I get a bonus check, and don't risk not being able to meet household expenses.
      I don't have any relationship with my parents and brother, but I know if I did I would get a lot of passive-aggressive judgement for my hobby. Comments like "Well, it's yoooour money, I guess you can spend it any way you want" stated with an eye roll and ending with a sigh and shake of the head.
      Fortunately my "close friend family" is very supportive. My BFF gets at least as excited as I do when I get a new doll. I even got her into collecting fashion dolls, so we are able to enable each other. :D
      I don't discuss my dolls with casual friends, though. Too many of them would just not "get it".

2. My mom is kinda interested in the hobby at this point. I don't own any, but I showed the one. She said it was cute and wanted to know more about it.
      My dad on the other hand, I don't really know yet. He'd probably make fun of me for liking dolls at the age of 14. :/
      My dad makes fun of me for everything no joke. :(
      My brother doesn't really care about what I like. In the sense where he won't make fun of them. He told me it's fine if I like dolls and that I shouldn't let anyone bother me about those things.

3. At first when I had shown interest in the hobby my family was a little...curious I suppose would be the word?
      They didn't really know much about it so they couldn't tell a difference between a jointed barbie doll and a BJD

Then we moved close to DDE and I had enough money to get my Little Monica Little Sophia and I asked my dad to drive me to DDE so I could buy her right off the spot.

So me, my dad, and my brother went while my mom stayed at home and waited for updates and let's just say they know the difference between a barbie doll and my Scarlette (LM Little Sophia) :lol:

The price tag is still something that my family's not too fond of but when they see how happy my little Scar helps me feel then it helps them see her how I see her. :hug:

4. I wouldn't say my parents exactly understand but there still pretty supportive, I remember telling my mum the doll I want costs £350 and she nearly had a heart attack " I thought it'd be around 100 quid" bless but she's always looking out for little props and bits

5. My Dad is pretty chill about it, and My Mom joined the hobby with me! :kitty1 My brother does his own thing. :abambi:

6. My mum thought it was a bit weird and doesn't like most of the dolls (she finds them unsettling) but doesn't really mind it and appreciates how they are art (which doesn't always suit everyone's taste)

7. Like a lot of you guys, I have family members who understand and ones who doesn't. My mother and big brother don't care, they think it's funny because they think it's too expensive for a doll...but they're ok with that since I'm living on my own and all. My younger brother doesn't like it, he thinks it's childish.

My dad understands and helped me to buy the first one. We paint and love arts in general, so he thinks it's amazing that I can paint them everytime I want to. Same with my cousins and my grandma.

My fiance first tought it was wird, but hey, he's always buyng surf equipements so he understands it now. We support each others hobbies. I'm waiting for a Delia, from MYOU doll, and he actually helped me with his credit card to place the order.

8. My parents are somewhat surprised as I actively disliked dolls as a child, but they're surprisingly approving of the hobby. They definitely only like the cute, ordinary dolls though - some of the more out there sculpts creep them out.

9. My entire family thinks I'm completely nuts, especially for how much they are. The only one who sort of maybe a little bit deals with my hobby is my mother. She will at least listen to my dolly plans and let me show them to her. She doesn't like them per say, but I think it is more seeing me happy is what lets her accept them. I recently got my sister in law hooked on them too, so that's something new for me but I'm loving it :D

10. My mom and dad are indifferent. I believe that is because I only have a few dolls and also since my other hobby is skating. So it's fuss over me getting new scars/broken bones or getting a new doll. My sister that's 2 years older thinks it's great I found a way to express my creativity and may want to join one day *fingers crossed*. My younger sister (age 11) thinks I'm crazy, but that's because she's scared of dolls. As time goes on she's less scared though and more at the rolls her eyes and thinks her adult sister should grow up haha.

11. When I showed my grandmother, she was skeptical at first but after I showed her Doll Chateau's website and a few sculpts I like elsewhere she was super into it and gave me the money for my Madeline for my birthday. She was excited to see the doll amd kept asking when she would come for weeks, she's finally here so I wanna bring her over soon.
      My mom thinks the dolls are pretty cool, but she is more into shoes and jewelry making than dolls so it's not really her jam.
      My brother and father don't seem to give a carp, but my brother has helped me with a hand switch and will take a look at my crafts from time to time.

12. My mother loves my doll! She was surprised by the price at first but soon understood why after seeing the actual doll.

13. my mother used to be so dismissive of my toys. I mean... when I was 6th grade, She decided that I was officially too old to play with dolls and gave it all away without consulting me. (being typical Asian moms...) Now I have a job, and I lived by myself for quite a lone time, but if she is visiting, I am hiding my dolls away... I just don't want to deal with the drama. I wish I don't have to hide them but I also don't want any negative interaction with my mom as well. (but We do get along)
      But my BF is absolutely supportive of my doll hobby XD (he is the only one who knows)

14. My Mom is almost into the hobby, knows all my dolls by names, goes to doll exhibitions with me, I'm used to discuss my doll plans and wishes with her.
      Grandmother is scared with the amount of dolls. :sweat I have to remind her about the size of her porcelain figurine collection everytime she asks why so many.

15. My whole family just gets a kick out of them XD My mom especially thinks they're funny, especially when they're without wigs and/or eyes. They're all really supportive though, which I'm grateful for.

16. So, my two siblings and I got into the hobby sort of as a group, though not exactly at the same time... and our mother has always been supportive about it, but spent the past eight years or so saying she thought they were lovely but not for her.

Well, just this past weekend, my sister and I took her to a BJD convention with us, and by the end of Saturday she was set on finding a doll for herself! So now it's the whole family.

17. I just feel very lucky according this question. My parents are very welcome for my dolls and they like the faceup I did to my doll's. My husband he will help me when I need help for the dolls. They're all very supportive for my hobby.

18. My family accepts my dolls, though they tend to either think they're creepy or that I'm weird for collecting dolls at my age. My son, though, likes to come by shelves every now and then and ask if I've gotten any new dolls. He thinks they're pretty cool, so he looks forward to discovering something new. :)

19. My mother started my doll collection when I was a toddler. It's only the price tag that made her gulp.

20. I don't have my first doll yet (waiting for a preorder to open!) but when I get her I think I'm going to try my best to hide her from my parents. I currently collect handmade artdolls and alpacasso and other cute thing and they already disapprove all that and tell me all the time how I'm wasting my money XD so I wouldn't like them to know that I'm about to drop nearly $700CAD on a doll that has no makeup, wig, eyes or clothes even XD they'd Be pissed