1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How does your partner feel about your bjds?

Nov 2, 2016

1. My husband supports my love of dolls and other hobbies that I have. He will listen and look when I show him doll related stuff, and ask questions..

He also collects action figures, coins so it’s not like he doesn’t understand. He’s a sweetheart :love

2. My girlfriend is into them too! She doesn't have any of her own, but has plans to get into the hobby when she is in a financially stable situation. I can't wait til she gets her first doll so we can take pictures of ours together!

I haven't brought THIS part up to her yet, but... I kind of want to have our dolls, or at least mine, at our wedding :sweat Not necessarily as part of the ceremony but there to witness the event~ She's always been very sweet and accommodating so I believe she's be thrilled to oblige!

She and I are both very into all things mystical and like to find wonder in little things throughout the world. We have found that wonder in each other, and in our shared interest towards ball jointed dolls. I wish to live a happy life with her, and since I am adamant that I do not want kids (I am very unhealthy and don't have the strength to raise a child) perhaps we can consider our dolls our family! :blush

3. I don't know, my hobby has always been a secret and kept from others.

#203 spyder88, Sep 26, 2018
      Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    4. My partner is happy as long as I'm happy. At first he wouldn't even touch them but he's okay with them now.

5. i'm not sure if my girlfriend knows i'm into dolls or not tbh .... i feel like i could have mentioned it sometime, but we knew each other loosely for a few years before we dated so anything is fair game to be forgotten haha. also, i left my bigger dolls in storage when i left for college and only brought a little pukifee i don't even really display, so she would have never seen them. i won't be getting them back for at least a few months despite being done with school either so yeah, no bringing that up organically lol.

i wouldn't say dolls are a huge part of my life but they are, uh, expen$ive .... since i was a kid it was always made very clear that i shouldn't be buying anything that wasn't necessary (partly just bc my mother was strict, partly bc we didn't have money to spare), and so now i feel guilt for buying even $12 string lights at the store, never mind hundreds of dollars for what to me is a fancy decoration/toy. it makes me nervous to tell anyone about it, even though i rarely RARELY buy any dolls or related items and when i do it's always well within my means. that, and it's not really a hobby most people expect out of me--i'm not exactly a dirtbiking truckdriving football fanatical Real Man, but i still don't come off as a BJD collector. she likes dolls and figures but more in a cute antique rustic sort of sense, so i worry she may find my BJDs creepy, or worse, entirely foolish,,,, which would be terrible, because we're looking to move in together, and of course i love her more than i could love any doll but i'd still be sad to have to lock them up.

of course, i could just be overthinking it. she's really very kind and probably wouldn't judge me harshly for doing something i like without breaking the bank. we're also both trained artists, so she has an appreciation for art. but, the worry still eats at me ^^'

edit: SHE LIKES MY DOLLS :cool:

#205 sandpipers, Sep 27, 2018
      Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    6. I'm very lucky to have a girlfriend who is extremely supportive of all my hobbies, this one included. She even insisted on helping me pay for one of my dolls as an early Xmas present and I am so happy!

7. My boyfriend finds my dolls creepy. But I don't find them creepy, I love them.

8. Hi ive just gotten my first bjd i got larry the snail hes so adorable niw my partner thinks im crazy cause of the prices of bjd dolls cause the other dolls i collect arnt as expensive (even though he collects stuff thsts worth decent money to)does anyone else have this problem with partners or family

9. I can say that so far my family, and my new extended family after this day, have actually been rather supportive of my plans to get into bjd. They know their hobbies cost money, and I tend to curb my enthusiasm a lot since well. I tend to only include the people I know would be interested in also more directly able to see what i am getting into.

10. To be honest no. My family don’t mind too much. My bills are paid and I have some savings so they’re cool with it. I think if I was struggling with debts or not saving (conceivable with me because I struggle to be sensible with money) my mum especially would be annoyed at me (in a nice way). But luckily, after my first splurge when I joined the hobby, I think my family have accepted that I enjoy my dolls & hobby and that it’s beneficial as a creative outlet. I took my mum to Ldoll and she came back saying it was good fun & a lovely community, and also that she felt quite proud when people complimented my dolls! so I think she understands a bit more now. I’m lucky that my family are quite broad minded on most topics & as long as no one is causing harm it’s acceptable.

11. My partner and family have been very supportive - I think it’s because they see it brings me joy and it’s something I’ve wanted for a very long time, plus I’m very reasonable with my finances. It may seem a bit odd to the people around you at first but I think that as time passes they’ll get used to it and support you more! :) When it comes to friends I only share with the ones who would show interest and support :)

12. When I was younger and still in college, my mother would chime in from time to time. However, for the most part she would just worry about me not being able to pay for tuition, texts and software which can be pretty flipping expensive. I wasn't living at home at that time, so I had rent on top; I understood her concerns and took her suggestions about moderating my hobby related expenses seriously. Once I graduated however, she stopped saying anything about my hobby expenses, my father never said a word (he also collects Bruce Lee and comic book action figures).I am a responsible grown adult and take care of bills, my cats and living expenses first, so I don't feel like I owe any one any explaining. I never had any desire to be in any sort of romantic relationship, so I am free to do as I please with my hard-earned money (after bills are paid, of course). (:

13. My husband also collects, and we both have participated in various expensive hobbies so he's not really against me finally choosing a pricey one. Although I can see where other people are coming from. When you think about the price of materials these dolls seem horridly expensive. To someone who doesn't collect its just a hunk of plastic, a lot of people don't believe that just because someone spent the time to create an item the artist should be compensated. We live in the era of mass production so the thought of a tiny company of 8 or so workers making items seems foreign for a lot of people.

I think the reason a lot of loved ones have an issue with this hobby (and other hobbies, its not just this one) is that its an expensive hobby. You can easily drop 800 dollars on a doll in the blink of an eye and limited dolls pop up every other month with a small time to order them. Sitting down and talking with them, explaining perhaps how you plan (or already do) to save up for a doll, how you plan to use layaway or other means to cushion the large chunk of change coming out of your pocket in one go. Just a reminder that, while you've joined an expensive hobby you're still a rational adult who will pay bills first and make sure you're not going to throw yourself into debt just to obtain that limited/event/expensive doll you've had your eye on can ease the tension.

14. Like my boyfriend says, "it's your money", but I still think he'd be floored by the cost. My mother is happy that the hobby brings me joy and the cost never came up... buuut I think she'd be just as shocked by the cost since it's "just a doll".

Yeah it isn't a cheap hobby by any means, clothing, eyes, and accessories included, but I keep an eye on my budget and am responsible in my spending so I think it's okay. Like I've said before, it's a luxury I permit myself :)

15. Congratulations on your first bjd! I still live with my parents and am not (yet) in school, so I have a rather good bit of money I could potentially spend, and since I take care of responsibilities first I think it's perfectly fine to save up for a piece of art. My parents, however, seem to disagree. They think it's way too much money and a ridiculous hobby, which is part of the reason I just have the one girl. So I completely understand how you feel, and it can be frustrating since no one I know irl seems to understand how much this hobby means to me. But hey, I think it's worth it, and since it makes me happy and doesn't hurt anyone, its a perfectly good indulgence:3nodding:

16. I try to keep it "under wraps" but my Mom calls my collecting my "second childhood" and it really upsets me.

17. Oh goodness I totally get it Fayblairiful! My mom's the same way, it kind of hurts after a bit and makes me lose my inspiration, which makes me sad...

18. My husband buys me my dolls and items for them. He just doesn't like the more expensive ones like Fairyland. He likes me to stay under $200. But I usually just buy an expensive doll during income tax or we get a big amount of money like we just got insurance money from an accident...so now I have a Minifee :) He just wants to see me happy. I love making wigs and doing face-ups. He loves to see what I do with them. He enjoys them as well, he usually claims one lol. Only family on my side is my mom who I do not talk to but I know she would be very against it. She does not collect anything. Thinks unless you need it to live its a waste. My mother in law likes them but they do not know the price. I do not tell them the price either. Everyone has something they spend their money on and enjoy.

19. FlyingCodeMonkey (that's Mr.Brightfires-) totally doesn't "get" the doll-thing, but he knows that *I* adore my little resin minions, so he's okay with it in the same way that I'm okay with the hobbies he has that I don't share. (Rock-climbing, for instance. I'd kill myself if I tried that! :lol: ) I think as long as you and your partner have that kind of mutual respect for each other's interests, and trust each other not to go completely overboard expense-wise, it's not hard to maintain your own independent hobbies. You don't have to exclusively like and do exactly the same things just because you're a couple. It's okay to have both "things we do together" and "things we do on our own".

That aside, grats on your snail-dude. Larry is just the cutest little thing. ^_^

20. My partner is normally ok with my dolls as i collect other dolls im new to the bjd doll world and he thinks they r expensive for a doll its a pain as he has stuff he collects so as long as im saving the money and paying for them i dont see wat his problem is