1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How does your partner feel about your bjds?

Nov 2, 2016

1. My partner is super supportive of my interests! I only actually have one at the moment (who is still currently on her way to me), but my partner was actually the person to push me into getting her! While I was a little on the fence about spending so much money her, he convinced me that it was a good idea; and I'm so thankful for that! :)

Although, I feel a little bad since he's actually a little scared of them...:nowords:

2. #foreveralone :...(

On the up-side, I don't have to worry about any disapproval and can buy whatever I want :)

3. My partner actually told me yesterday that he's enamored by my weird obsessions and dolls. Put a huge smile on my face. <3

4. I've always loved collectible toys and figurines, but dolls are very new for me. Initially I was extremely embarrassed about my interest in this hobby and too ashamed to tell anyone besides my boyfriend. He was immediately super supportive. I've been deeply depressed and unmotivated for the last couple years, and I think he could see how it inspired my creativity again. He has never judged me or said they are creepy or lectured me about money. He doesn't care for dolls, but he always listens to me talk about my plans and what I've learned. He's even told me that the dolls I've picked out so far are really cool :) It's thanks to him that I can confidently tell people about my dolls and my projects without fear of judgement. I'm very thankful to have him in my life. <3

#104 Whitnee, Apr 8, 2017
      Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    5. @A_Grand_Leaf hey we should play guild wars some time! Or friend me or something!

My boyfriend is supportive of my dolls! I was worried at first because they're expensive and out of character for me to like, but he even got his own doll recently (withdoll Priscilla) and he hasn't regretted her yet! He's also bought me a head for Christmas, and offered to help me buy a doll secondhand before~

6. I love this thread! My husband is also very supportive. Initially, I was a little embarrassed to tell him that, as a nearly 40 year old woman, I still loved dolls, but when I did, he just smiled and said that was cool.

It was because of him that I could get into BJDs in the first place! For a long time, I loved to look at people's photos of their dolls, but that's all I could do--look. Then one day I found an old Resin Soul on Ebay that someone was dumping for about 60 usd. Jokingly, I said, "Wow, it's too bad we can't afford her. I bet I could fix her right up and sell her, and maybe get some money to put aside for my grail."

Immediately, he said, "Put in a bid." I was floored. He said that we'd have to tighten our belts a little bit that week, but he was wholly supportive of me getting her. Well, I put in a bid and I won. I'd already done so much research that when she arrived, I did as I'd intended and cleaned her up, restrung her, got her some pretty eyes, a cute outfit, wig, and a nice face-up. She sold soon after that, and I was almost able to afford my grail. Hubbs made up the difference, and here we are. :)

I love my husband and I know that no matter what I do, he will be supportive, but it still amazes me how awesome and accepting he is. He will listen to me go on and on about this hobby, even if he doesn't fully understand everything I say. He's told me many times that he's happy that I'm happy. And he's learning, too! Now that I have two dolls (!), he will sometimes help me look for a specific piece of clothing or shoes, and when I say things like "msd" or "minifee" he knows what I'm talking about. Sometimes I even see a little light come on in his eyes and he'll blurt out something about wigs or a face up artist. lol

7. My boyfriend accepts my dolls, even more now that he owns some figures. He also helps me sometimes with pictures or stop motion and I am grateful for that. Although every time I show him doll pictures for more than five minutes he gets tired lol

8. My husband is super supportive of my crafts. I've always been very lucky that way. He goes away on business and brings me back yarn from yarn shops for my fiber addiction and has helped me gather up the faceup supplies I need for my dolls. I'm hoping someday he understands more about the hobby and maybe even joins me.

9. "I don't care, I'm glad you like them and that they make you happy." Borrowed money from him the other day for a grail doll so I'm surprised he feels this way :blush

10. My girlfriend has been a doll collector right alongside me, so of course she has her own bjd collection! Even though I'm actually responsible for bringing about 80% of the dolls into the house in the first place :sweat

11. My husband is pretty supportive, at first it was a 'whatever floats your boat' moment, but after he actually looked into getting me a doll as an anniversary present he kinda took the plunge head first.

12. I'm lucky that my partner is very supportive. Of course, he has his own hobbies, so he understands.

13. My partner has always been supportive of my weird hobbies. Of course, he's into SCA, so he doesn't balk at prices or turn his nose up at spending disposable income on frivolous things. There's a $4k suit of armor in the hallway (which he saved for like a budgeting beast back when we were much worse off financially), so me dropping a few hundred on a doll now and then is no big deal to him.

14. No partner, no problem!

15. My partner is a doll collector as well so we go into most of our endeavors together! I'm extremely lucky to have them to bounce ideas off of and share my excitement, haha. We're both faceup artists too, so we get to share supply costs. It's a pretty good deal all around!

16. I'm very glad that my partner collects hottoys figures like batman, ironman and others,
      so he totally understands how it is if i want to spend some money on my doll hobby.
      He also shares ideas for my dolls with me sometimes, and i can ask him for his opinion like..
      "what do you like more? this or that?" and then he helps me deciding

17. I wouldn't say I hide it, but I don't advertise my doll collecting. So when my current SO came to my apartment for the first time (I only had one doll at the time) I had never mentioned that I collect bjds but I didn't put her away or anything. He saw her but didn't say anything about it. I think I brought it up later, and he said he noticed it but he didn't seem to have a strong reaction. Fast forward a few years and a few dolls later, and now he knows way more than anyone else about my dolly hobby! He accepts it but isn't super into it. Once he sent me some pictures of a realpuki soso because he thought I might like it :) He said he wanted to buy it for me, but I vetoed that idea haha. I think he's not a very artistic person so it doesn't really appeal to him in general. On the other hand, I have this old stuffed white tiger from when I was a kid and he LOVES that tiger. I think he likes stuffed animals because they're cuddly!

18. My husband just got his first practice head a few months ago. He is more than okay with the hobby. :) He even got me my first doll head as well, many years ago. It's probably because he is a collector of miniatures and enjoys painting them as well. He is quite excited about being involved in character concepts I have and especially if he gets to make stuff for my dolls.

19. My partner is more supportive than not. My partner general feelings are best summed up as "That's not my thing but if it makes you happy that's great." They been very clear that they will never get a doll themselves but they like that I like it.

I can show them pictures of dolls and ask for opinions but normally it's meet with a "Meh, they all look the same after a while." They do like hearing the doll drama that happens. And they will let me rant on my opinions of the doll hobby.

But they are super supportive of me doing things with my dolls. They want me to display my dolls in the main part of the house. So other people can see them. They encourage me to take photos of my dolls and play with them. They ask how my skirts or dress came out for my smaller dolls.

As far as money goes, I keep my partner in the loop. I normally tell them when I start saving up for a doll and went I plan on buying it. One thing that I am extremely grateful for is that my partner is understanding about my hobby and the cost. And they never say, "No you can't do that". Sometimes, we have a conversation where if money is tight or if there's something we need to for house first we might delay a doll purchase. But it's never "No you can't do that because it's dumb" but more of "Hey can we put that off until next paycheck just make sure nothing comes up?"

This is huge for me because I grew up very secretive about my financial situation because of my parent's strict views on thriftiness and savings. While my partner is understanding and doesn't belittle my interests.

20. He is content for me to do whatever makes me happy, but definitely was bemused when I ordered my first doll recently. He was teasing me about them being creepy and questioning what I would get out of having them, but in a lighthearted way. He collects and paints Warhammer models, and generally has very similar interests to me. I bet I'll get him involved once my doll(s...) start to arrive.