1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How frequently do you sell a doll?

Apr 2, 2017

1. I rarely sell. Really only if I grow tired of the doll. I usually get bored with them If i don't feel any personality coming from them.

2. I haven't sold any on-topic BJDs yet. For my SDs at least, I'm not sure I will ever sell, mostly because I work on my dolls so much that I'm very attached by the end of the process. After the modding process, no doll exists which could replace the one I have, as the stock doll wouldn't even have those mods. It would be a lot of work to redo them.

And I guess, the other reason (although it's not the one that's particularly concerning to me) is that the mods likely hurt the resale value of the doll, so not only would I be unable to find the doll again without putting in significant modding work, but I wouldn't be able to sell the doll I was trying to replace for a price to reflect the amount of time I spent on it. (And I'm not really interested in becoming the sort of dolly collector who does mods to sell the doll at a higher price--it'd take a lot of practice, and I'm not sure I have the patience to mod a doll that isn't mine in a way that I might not want!)

I have a couple heads I might eventually sell, but I think I'm keeping my permanently-floating OR-doll Orlando head. I think the company has closed, and even though the doll didn't work for the character (what happened to the poor head's jaw?!?), I love the faceplate construction.

3. I've never sold one of my BJD's but I am starting to sell some of my off topic dolls now so I can buy more BJD's. I also have a few BJD's that I'm not very excited about and am thinking about selling them to make room for ones that I would love better.

4. Almost 7 years and so far I've rehomed 2 tinies and 1 event head and that was because I couldn't make them work no matter how much I tried despite giving them different looks/styles and characters. Even so, it was hard letting them go, but probably because I'm a hoarder the sentimental kind. There will probably a couple more I might rehome within this year or the next.:(

Generally though, I only buy dolls I reaaaally love and when I bring home a doll it's usually for keep so I rarely sell dolls unless they really don't/can't work out despite several attempts to make them fit into the harem family.

5. I've impulse bought, a lot. I've kept most of what I've garnered in the last two years going into three now. Bodies have flown around only in the name of improvement. Some people were sold because of difficult circumstances, and one only because it was truly a unique situation. Otherwise, there's a current list that I am heavily adhering to.

6. I've been into BJDs for 7 years and so far have sold 3 full dolls and a face plate. Two of the dolls I bought impulsively second hand and then after several months realized they didn't really work for me. I sold them around the same time. The face plate came with a full set doll, and since I had no use for it it went to someone else. I sold a number of off-topic fashion dolls to have money for two of my BJDs.

There's a few I have right now I'm not sure about and I'm waiting for several that might not be right for me.

7. I've probably sold several times the number of dolls I currently own while being in this hobby. I used to sell everything I even sort of thought I was done with. The last couple of years I've just stopped selling things. It's too much trouble. People just aren't trustworthy anymore...and too many of them want things for nothing. It's easier to either sell in person, or just not sell at all. I have a body drawer now, as well as a head drawer, and I take dolls I don't want anymore apart and put them away. This has actually turned out to be great for me, because in the last year and a half I've saved so much money but making characters I want as dolls out of what I've already got on hand! Just this year I pieced together two DC characters and an OC out of heads and bodies I pulled out of the drawer. If I'd had to buy heads and bodies for them it would have cost me a fortune.

8. Hmm, I just did a quick math and it turns out, I really am a revolving door owner. I have learnt to accept it, though and I am okay with it. Dolls should be fun and not guilt.

So, I have (thus far) sold 43 dolls and I am still in the processs of rehoming a couple more and thinking of parting with another few... Including the ones I currently have on the shelf (half of them are 100% keepers*), I have had 51 dolls during the past 7 years of being in the hobby. 43/7 = 6 dolls sold per year on average. This means, I sell one doll every two months... And I had months of no sale too. So, sometimes I was selling a couple dolls withing a month or so. That is when I was purging.

*So, back to the "keepers" issue. I have learnt that no doll is 'forever" no matter how much I love it. I just literally glanced at my shelf now and I figured that if I were to keep only one, it'd be my Supia Rosy. She's been my grail and one that turned out to be perfect after the purchase (it wasn't the case with all my ex-graills...). But that's what I am saying now. I may just as well fall out of love with her within the next two years. Unlikely, but not impossible. I just have this stupid thing that I get unattached easily. Both to people and things. It's only good until it gets problematic.

Also, recently, I've been more and more into minimalism and decluttering and all this stuff, and this also prompts me to part with dolls and keep only a few. I must admit that I suffer from an anxiety over owning too many possessions. it's a little over the top, so it's not just "I am a minimalist", but rather "I get super anxious when I have things that I don't use". I feel calm when travelling and spending time in emptyish spaces such as hostel bedrooms, where i only have the necessities. So aside from selling the dolls, I also tend to purge on their accessories. I love collecting, but I hate having too much. So, recently, I sold about a dozen pairs of dolly shoes, because I had purchased another 6 pairs or so and I felt it's too much. Also, when owning several of a kind, I start to notice that there are always dolls/shoes/clothes that are 100% awesome and those that are just "okay". So, any time I see that something becomes a "just okay" thing, I part with it.

9. I never used to sell and always told myself that I would never do so, but interests shift. It's been eleven years since I've gotten into the hobby. My interests and the way I experience the hobby have changed.
      I used to want so many dolls, never enough of them whereas now I prefer less dolls but ones I am much more invested in. Also much more unique dolls, like creature dolls and such.
      I'm currently in the process of selling of some of my old dolls. The first time ever selling and it's a whole bunch at once.

10. Whenever I’ve sold, it’s been all about refining my collection. I’ve been in this hobby for 14 years now, and in the early years I was still discovering my personal aesthetic. So of course there was more frequent selling back then as I learned more and more about my personal tastes. I now have a crew of 45, and I’ve probably sold a dozen dolls over the years...more in the beginning, dwindling down to more infrequently as I carefully honed my collection. Now I’m happily at a point where I feel my collection is perfect, and I haven’t sold in doll in over a year-and-a-half (nor do I plan to.)

#30 PoeticSoul, Oct 28, 2020
      Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    11. I've sold a number of them mostly because I need the money or because they just don't click with me. This past year has been rough for me so I've had to sell quite a few of them, but the ones I have now/have on order I'm hoping to keep.

12. I don't generally buy things that I'm looking to sell and I usually buy them carefully so I've never sold a doll

13. Tho I have been in the hobby for over 10 years, no dolls have been sold, doll hoarder here!

14. I hate selling dolls, I always worry I’ll regret it. However I’ve probably had and sold around ten dolls (and floating heads). I plan to sell around half of my dolls at the moment too. I really want to have a smaller collection.

15. Neither my husband and I have ever sold any of our dolls. We've been in the hobby (as owners) since 2007 so about 13 years. That being said, we've been so poor that back when we only had two (one for each of us) we've thought about selling the one that would have given us enough money to pay our bills and my schooling. Somehow, we've scrapped by. But honestly, if we were ever desperate again, I think we might do a garage sale or eBay other things in our household before resorting to selling one of our dolls. I think it's because with each doll purchase, we had to make tough financial choices to get them (saved everything we had at the time, spend less when we finally had some money, working more hours for whoever had a job at the time, etc). That, and we've gotten attached to them so even if it was possible to find the "same" doll, it wouldn't have the same memories as the original one. Also, most of the dolls we got are either hard to find on the secondhand market or more than twice their original value so it makes us less inclined to sell. I'm disabled now so I cannot work, but if something happened to my husband (like he became disabled or needed medical attention or died) then I would sell the dolls to keep our home, pay the bills, and whatever else to support us.

One of my friends has sold her dolls. Not all of them, but some (maybe even half). Not sure what her current collection looks like but from what I remember when we first started the hobby I think all of the dolls she had in her collection were mostly limited editions or ones that have been discontinued (either discontinued by the company or the company no longer exists) so for me it was a big deal when she sold any of them. She had a couple of reasons for selling and all valid in my mind. One was financial so she sold to either purchase another desirable doll or to pay bills. Second was for health. I think it was a combination of resin dust and some other things. Third was memory (a negative association with the doll from a certain time in her life, etc). Fourth, doll no longer fit her aesthetic or a character she created for a story. Again, all valid reasons.

I think people have a right to do whatever they want with their dolls in this hobby. :dance As long as you are enjoying it, do whatever you want!

16. I have yet to sell a doll. I have been collecting for over a year now. All my dolls are secondhand so most of them are older, discontinued sculpts that would be difficult to re-obtain. I just know if I sell one I will regret it a lot! :XD:

17. At the beginning, when I did not yet know what I wanted, I sold three bodies and one complete doll. Three had to go because they really annoyed me. I sold one full doll, although I loved the head. But the offer I got was too good to let go. One body was sold because it had not quite the correct shape.

As soon as my collecting direction was set and I knew which theme I was mostly interested, I only purchased dolls. Over the time, I got superpicky and let sit an idea before putting it into reality. Also, I have no more space.

So right now, I am not selling any dolls.

18. I've only been collecting since August and since then I've traded one doll and sold none!

19. I've bought eight full dolls (four hybrids, four full dolls, about half and half new and secondhand as well) and one floating head. I've recently sold one for the first time, my only SD that's at home currently and the second doll I ever purchased. I loved him dearly, but I wasn't excited about him anymore and I've discovered I really prefer MSD-YOSD sizes. I sold him to a friend who loves him :-) I don't see myself selling any of the seven dolls I own right now, but I may sell the floating head one day.

20. I sold 3 70 cm, 4 MSD and 4 1/12 dolls. Also gave away a 1/6 doll just because I needed to get rid of her and she wasn't selling. This was all since mid-2019.

What I learnt from all this is that I shouldn't impulse buy. Full Stop. The ones I look at forever and a day and eventually buy I tend to keep.