1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How has your doll changed your life?

Dec 28, 2005

1. These dolls inspired me to get off my butt for winter break and get a job. :P This was my first job, and when I get my paycheck, ALLL the moolah is going into paying for the doll. (The only way my mom would let me have one, if it was the money I worked for)

2. Yeah, they inspired me to work harder (Not that working harder puts more money in my paycheck). They also make me feel reeeeeeally happy!

3. My dolls inspired me too, I save a huge part of my money, but still my dad buied my first one, Pelko, for me o___O but they hasn't really change my life, but they are still part of my life, and I'm happy that I have them.

4. So far hes helped me learn patience |D and how to save my money and actually KEEP saving insted of buying something with what i have. XD

5. My dolls have helped me learn patience and work harder at improving my knitting and sewing so I can make them nice things to wear :)

6. The first change I've noticed is I don't buy as much dvd's at all anymore...
      I'm even thinning out my collection to make room for different and new things...

7. 1.) I get to be creative with my pics and stories for them.
      2.) I have actually met people also who have dolls, but also actually have a life outside my own family.
      3.) Hoping it encourages me to sew and be creative in that just need to be 100% set to go.
      4.) Opened my eyes to items in various stores that can work for BJD as props, clothes or other items.
      It has been a blast for over 3 years now and I never want it to end.

8. I sew more then I used to, so my sewing has improved much more in the past 2 yrs then it had for 10 yrs prior to that.

I also don't buy as many games and dvds as I used to. (Of course I still play WoW)

9. He's made me think twice about impulse spending when I'm out, that's for sure! Especially when I was saving for him. I didn't buy anything for months until I finally got him! And even now I think "Well I could get this, or clothes for Tae-Jun..." Of course when I went out to actually buy manga the other day I couldn't find any of the books I wanted though...so what did I do instead? Decide to buy a MD Ryu head! xDD So scratch that, maybe I am still an impulse buyer...but now I'm a doll-related impulse buyer! xD But I definitely think about the usefullness of things I buy now, and "will I still care about this in a few weeks?" type things. If the answer is no, then I am now mostly able to walk away, which I didn't even try to do before.

I've made some new friends as well, and tried to improve on my photography and photo editing skills. I need a new camera before I can take much better doll photos though. :sweat

I've also been more motivated to find a job than before so I can get more clothes and dolls! xD

10. I'm hoping my dolls spark my creative side. I got a sewing machine for Christmas and it's still in the box because I'm afraid of it. I have to learn how to use it. I really want to make all my dolls their own clothes, I have many clothing design ideas for my 'characters.'

I also plan to learn to do all my own faceups.

And I agree with many of the other answers here in that I save more money towards my dolls than for other things now.

:)

11. I still remember the first time I saw a BJD online and I thought to myself I could never afford or buy one for myself. But I'm glad I took the step when I fell deep and hard for a doll.

The positive things that my doll had done for me was that I gain new friends, and actually because of this hobby, I found one special friend who I consider my closest friend too. You know who you are. <3 It was because of this hobby I took the step to actually PM her to be my first local doll friend and ever since then, we both became extremely close. XD

Other than that, I became interested in photography which I never did in my life before. Only when I have my boy and realized how much I love taking his pictures, I had asked my parents to get me my first DLSR. I was extremely pleased and became so interested in how to handle my first DLSR.

Furthermore, because of my boy, I had met with other friends and actually led me to be more adventurous as in now I'm going to events, and going to cons.. I never did before, but now I do. And I'm enjoying every minute of it. XD

But well, for the bad part is.. My money flies more to getting new clothes for my resin kids, and of course to add to my resin family. XD

12. I find I have a lot less money now, lol just kidding, I think they are very possitive.

13. The money in my pocket has gone~~

But i am happier than i was before too

14. I met incredible people o.o
      I spent less time on the computer.
      I actually use my money *cheap as hell*
      Im a lot happier
      I get to stare at something sexy all day *which is rare nowadays--oooo.burn*

XD

15. Oh interesting...

Hmm, how have I changed. It's hard for me to separate the changes brought about by dolls from the major gut-wrenching life changes that were happening just about the time I discovered them. I adore them, that's for certain.

I think maybe in the last year or so, they've started boosting my self-confidence. I never was afraid to experiment with the dolls themselves (and probably should have been...eep!) but I was totally convinced that I couldn't create, for example, a photostory. Or sew a costume -- in spite of having sewn since I was about seven. But that's been changing, slowly.

Above all it's re-sparked my sense of play. That was missing for a long, painful time. What a good feeling to have something I enjoy doing that I can share with others too :)

Oh and it is a real joy that I have yet another thing in common with my daughters that isn't simply genetic! :)

16. My grandson showed them to me when he was in Japan & I have been learning more abt them ever since. He got me my first doll head which I changed the face on right away. She's ready for another new face now. It's so fun, I intend to get her a body worthy of her face eventually.

17. I'm happier - just knowing they are there does the trick! I feel calmer too. I'm actually going back to back next month after being a stay at home for so long - there are many reasons for that but one of them is cos i'm more motivated and I want to buy them clothes using my money not my hubby's!

18. My dolls have made me realise I can stay in a hobby for more than a few months.

19. Oooh, man, I value this hobby so much. It's actually had a much greater impact in my life than I'd previously imagined. My hobby used to be drawing and writing, and it took up 110% of my spare time (and my non-spare time, too...I didn't really work as hard as I could have done at college 'cause I was making comics all the time!). But as my hobby turned into my career, I was left flailing around for somthing to do when I wasn't working. Since I had little interest in anything else other than drawing and writing... I got quite low for a while as there was bugger-all else to do. So I just worked more. Not so good...

Enter dolls!

I took the plunge just over a year ago and have not looked back. I have been learning so much! Sewing, painting face-ups, attempts at knitting (fail!), little bits of photography, composing and bringing together dolls... it's fun. I am having fun. I missed that a lot ;)

I think I am definitely happier.

20. I've done a lot more on my sewing... and I've started believing more in being able to make money off of what I craft. I love selling my wings and have always loved wings... so when I started working on wings for dolls I felt like I really found a wonderful thing to do in my spare time. I never before gave much thought to being able to turn my hobbies into money and didn't make a lot of things because I didn't know what to do with things if I made them. But now I have an outlet for my creative impulses.

I also have gotten more friends, as well. And not just from the doll hobby. I mean, I have some really AWESOME friends down here thanks to this hobby... but Sanyu is also a great conversational starter outside of the hobby. I carry a photography book around with me that I got from shutterfly when I go to social meetings to use as a conversation starter. It really opens up conversations about photography and dolls, allowing me to feel more comfortable talking to new people. I find that a lot of people actually WANT to hear about Sanyu. And talking about Sanyu tends to lead to them asking me to even BRING her next time so they can see her! It makes me feel really happy because I feel like they really are interested in hearing about what I enjoy.

I am more productive when at home. I take more pictures, do more crafts... overall I just DO MORE. I go out more, to doll meets and the like...

I work harder, do more, talk to more people... All sorts of stuff. ^_^ It's shocking, really, how getting into a hobby like this changed a lot of what I do with my life.