1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How has your doll changed your life?

Dec 28, 2005

1. Hobby helps for depression a lot. I've been there and even though it were not dolls that brought meaning to my life but games, I'm back on track totally. No pills, no nothing!
      Dolls can help us fulfill ourselves in so many ways that... well... I think some of us here might own their lives to them.
      Good luck all of you!

2. Hmmm, not sure if this counts, but my dolls really help relieve stress! When I play with them or do things with them, it lets me temporarily forget any problems that might be going on elsewhere in my life.

3. That's so true, having hobbies/interests helps so much!
      The irony is that often depression makes one lose
      interest in things, it can be very hard pulling
      oneself out of that dark place because sometimes
      if feels easier staying there.

I'm glad to hear that you are doing well Sethrea
      and best wishes to you:aheartbea

Yes it totally counts Leenah! When I am bugged at someone (lol)
      I think about my incoming dolls & it helps even if only for a bit.

4. Dolls are my creative outlet. Back then when I was a child I suffered from severe depression and anxiety attacks and was advised by a good friend to use hobbies as a crutch to keep my mind busy so I wouldn't have time to dwell on things. And so I tried out a lot of different hobbies as a result and none quite fascinate and delight me as much as this hobby does. I love how this hobby combines so many different talents and skills just to create something so singular as a doll. And it feels good knowing that your hard work pays off in such a beautiful way. :)

And yeah... It really makes you look forward to the next day knowing that your doll(s) is getting closer to arriving to you. And personally, though I still struggle with patience from time to time I've found that the process of creating these dolls is as exciting as it is to have the entire doll in your hands.

Ultimately, they help relieve stress and translate my restless energy into doing more productive things. Besides, less expensive than medication + more prettyful than my therapist = good, no? xDD

5. Since getting into the hobby, I find that I've become much more creative. I've always been a creative person who writes and draws almost everyday, but I'm doing those things even more since I got Callahan. I'm becoming a better seamstress and photographer, and improving my writing and drawing too. Callahan is like my little muse, I gain a lot of inspiration from him and his character.

I think I'm also a bit more relaxed. I use the doll hobby to de-stress: when I'm feeling anxious about something, I'll cuddle Callahan or sew him a new outfit, and it takes my mind off of worrying. And whenever I play with him, I feel a sense of accomplishment, since "playing" usually involves creating something. It's really a feel-good thing for me, it adds a lot of happiness into my life. :)

6. Yes my dolls certaily have changed my life, for good and for bad XD
      The good way they changed it is that I'm more content with my life, I can just sit back and enjoy the day. They made me see the more beautiful things of it all. So I've calmed down a bit, like I finally found something to complete myself a bit more.

The bad thing is that I can spend WAY too much money on them *cough* :lol:

Sabriell

7. I was more persistent about getting a job because I wanted to pay for this hobby. I used to be lazy and now I am much more hardworking. Also I am much more creative, and better at drawing boys, thanks to my boy.

Also this is helping someone else, not me, but... I visit my grandmother a lot because she lives alone, and she loves when I bring my boy. She adores him and it makes me so glad that he can help my grandmother feel happy and youthful again.

8. dolls have made me happier, more creative, helped me through some hard and uneasy times.. yes, I'd say they have changed my ways, I'm a lot more focussed now.

9. When Shinta arrived it felt like I got a new friend :)

10. my wallet is a lot lighter XD but i love my babies <33 and it's nice to have a hobbie that seems worthwhile ^^

:o omg i love your icon :aheartbea:aheartbea:aheartbea

11. I clean more. No, really, I do. I have had a greater interest in staying organized, because seriously, they take up a LOT of space, and the more organized everything else is, the easier that is on the breathing residents of the house (me, roomie, four insane cats). I'm also tossing or yard-sale-piling old stuff I just don't need any more, something I'm often reluctant to do "just in case" it's useful for something later.

I had almost given up on getting my studio set up, but since I now need a place where I can spray (with an exhaust fan -- Delaware is WAY too humid to do it outside, and I'm right beside a river to boot) and have some 'art space' in addition to the long overdue beading space I've been struggling to claim for years now. So it's given me the push to get that -done- after years of not making much headway on it. Though it is still far from being done, it's substantially closer to it, even just over the past month.

While these things may sound simple and silly, they're huge changes for me, all requiring a lot of work and clutter-battling, but they're very positive things.

12. This is such a wonderful thread <3

Though at the moment I only have one doll, she's already showing me the changes in myself. <3
      For one, I learned how to save with money--to the point of being VERY strict! For the majority of my life I didn't save up my money at all because I never really wanted anything worth saving up for... And of course, for about a third of my life I was spoiled enough to be able to ask for anything I DID want that would have otherwise needed saving for a holiday/present--and get it almost every time. (I know that sounds spoiled, and it was, but at least I recognize it now T.T)
      However, we've recently started to get low on money and I'm definitely not in the situation any longer! And, in fact, I wouldn't have dreamed of asking for a $660 doll for any holiday anyways. @.@"

I've also gotten so much more creative! Or perhaps, the creativity has been re-ignited within me. XD Not only has Allura ('s *coughcoughchubbybodycough*) forced me to learn how to and learn to LOVE sewing, but I've also delved into things like wig making and photography ^___^. On top of that, in order to support the hobby I recently opened myself to art commissions, so I draw now more than I do normally!
      In the photography aspect... I always had an interest in photography, but I only ever found inspiration in nature--and once I took the photo, I typically discovered that the beauty I saw did not transfer through the lense. For years this continued to crush me until I pretty much gave up on the idea... But when I got Allura it was totally different! Her personality shines in every picture and I know that her beauty comes through the lense x300%!

<3

13. Getting my boys has kick started me on writing their story once again. It's also helped me diversify my hobbies so that I don't focus solely (and obsessively) on one thing to the detriment of my health (as I'd done in the past with my writing).

It does cut down on my writing time when I play with my dolls or make them clothes/jewellery (which does bother me somewhat) but at the same time, sewing or knitting them clothes without patterns is a huge step for me in regaining a skill I'd lost due to a stroke.

I've also found that when I'm physically in pain or weakened from over-doing something, sitting on the couch with my dolls and reading or watching TV helps to reduce the pain. I've no idea how that works but that is simply priceless to me.

14. Since I haven't had my doll for very long, she hasn't changed much. Lol. But she has changed me a bit already. I do wanna get into a lot of new things. Like, photography, sewing, and painting (for face ups). She has also inspired me with a new story, dealing with her. And a few other dolls I wanna get. She has inspired me to write again, or at least try to. I've been so uninspired to write.. And then when she came along, a story just popped into mah head. And I wanna make it happen, more so then mah other stories. So, I'm really hoping to finish it. And I know I will, since I have her to remind me to do it. Lol.
      Doll in general, have also inspired me to make my own dolls famous! Hahaha! <333

15. I'm a lot poorer than I was before I started this hobby. I think it's a sign I should never have too much money laying idly around.

16. It's given me more motivation then anything I've ever done before.

I've never been able to hold a job. I have a distinct lack of ability to sit there and take s**t from people just becuase they're my boss. I also get anxiety and panic attacks in paid employment. I'm a graphic novellist, singed on, publisher ready and everything, (it doesn't pay the bills until it's published, mind) and all I can ever think when I'm there at work is "IshouldbedrawingIshouldbedrawingIshouldbedrawingIshouldbedrawing"

So I've tried numerous ways to make money for myself without relying on a company and a humdrum job. I've never succeeded. One failure drove me into depression which caused the next thing to fail etc etc until I ended up here. I haven't drawn for months. I'm twice the weight I used to be, and I hate leaving the house.

Then i bought Sabine. I'm a dressmaker- one of the failed jobs that I kept on because I loved it as a hobby, still got a few corsetry and Lolita dress commissions and it was useful in making my own wardrobe. I thought I could have her to make some clothes to start chewing throught he fabric I have left over... Conveiniant excuse. i just wanted one.

Since buying her everything shifted. Something just... worked.

Like others before have said, they're great for depression. I always cheer up inexplicably posing and dressing my girls. Not to mention how delightful it is to get parcels of shoes, wigs and such in the mail

I was motivated to clean out the piles and piles of junk I've hoarded over the years- old toys, books, collectables old clothing- to make room, and money for my girls.
      That in its self was/is intensely thraputic. I've let go of a lot mentally by letting go of the physical evidence.

I organized a meet and got out of the house, on my own motivation. It was a wonderful success and I'm looking to do another. I can actually talk to people without feeling the usual social anxiety. Feel actually happy and chatty for the first time in seven years.

It's motivated me to set up a doll dealership. Unlike my previous ventures, there's been no dark cloud and this time eveyrthing is coming together as planned. It's immense hard work, but it motivates me to get up early and work all day. I feel like the day was worth something.
      I'm working on promotionals, aestetics, meetups and events witht eh dealership in mind. I've never EVER been so motivated about any of my other entrepranerials before.

But probably the most poigniant of all is that I've enrolled in drawing classes again. The teacher has admitted she can teach me nothing, but that doesn't matter. I go there and I take joy in my art again.
      It's been a very very very long time since that happened. I am happy in myself and my art IS myself.

Sorry to blather. My simple resin dolls have done so very much for me.

17. My girl's changed my life in a really fun sort of way. Now, I seem to be a tad more chipper. I've learned to economize and not make such a big deal out of certain things.:)

18. I might need to be sure to mention these kind of stories to people next time someone asks me, "Why dolls?".
      I do feel a much greater kinship with everybody here in knowing that other people take the same comforts as I do from owning and playing with these dollies, which means a great deal to me because I've struggled all my life with being "different" in many ways.

Like many of you, I use my dolls for therapy. Depression sucks, and when it's seeping back into my system my dolls give me a joyful reason to get up and do something special for myself, to go on a hike and take pictures, to draw or plot stories or even find someone to teach me to sew with a machine!

I get a lot of stress release and real joy out of making things. It's my life's purpose, in a way, to make things with my hands- dolls, props, costumes, toys, art, whatever.
      I'm learning so many new things so can improve on what I want to do with my dolls, and even eventually adding them to my small business plans.

They also keep me company whenever I'm alone, which is rather often as I work out of my house.

19. I'd say I've had many more experiences thanks to my dolls than I ever imagined when I first got into the hobby: I've developed an interest in photography I'd never have had otherwise, I've met some wonderful people and very good friends I'd never have had the opportunity to get to know without the initial dolly 'hook', and in visiting some of those friends I've made via DoA I visited the USA and Canada (Denver and Montreal, to be precise) and I never would have ended up going to either of those places under my own steam if I didn't have dolly-friends there to invite me to come see them. So in that sense... yes, there's definitely been a change there, and for the better too! :)

20. My dolls helped me to survive from an eating disorder.