1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How has your doll changed your life?

Dec 28, 2005

1. It's not so bad to be obsessive. I was obsessive when I was younger and thought it was bad, so I managed to become more laid back, but that made me less passionate. >_<;;; I'm trying to get it back now.

The BJD scene changed my life because I'm finally doing something constructive now. That sounds sort of weird.. what I mean is, I am making a BJD now, and since I am an artist and I've been trying to get into the sculpting community (like a bronze sculpture foundry or something) practicing by sculpting and casting in resin is helping me gain skills and knowledge for my future goals. It's also helping me get my passion for art back.

I was drifting away, and without art I don't have much, (I'm pretty useless..) so BJDs are really helping to bring me back and focus me right now, and helping me rethink and clarify my goals in my head.

Sorry, it's not really the kind of thing you were talking about I guess. (But I see a lot of people saying how they've gained passion and focus from their dolls, so maybe it is the same. I think that artists and collectors are driven by the same kind of things, a lot of the time.)

2. When I was 4 years old I was practically raised by two older brothers with intense horror film hysteria. We made continuous trips to block buster and while I had baby dolls at the time I never thought I 'd develop Pediophobia (For those who don't know it's a fear of dolls.). This developed shortly after my brothers subjected me to a marathon of grotesque murders carried out by a doll named Chuckie. This made life extremely difficult. I couldn't sleep in the same room with dolls, I made my friends put them in the closet or hide them away. I couldn't sleep in the guest room at my Aunt's house because it was filled with beautiful porcelain dolls. It became a very serious problem and lasted until before my 16th birthday (Last year). I was on Deviantart and I kept seeing these dolls though at first they looked really human-like, and upon finding out more about them I realized that they were in fact dolls but they didn't hold as "creepy" a demeanor as the others.

Next I went to a convention in Atlanta GA. Called AWA (Anime Weekend Atlanta) there in the dealers room I spotted my first real life BJDs suddenly I went straight over to the stand and looked at them intently. They were naked and didn't have on any wigs but they were absolutely beautiful! I knew I wanted one and when I called my mom and got her to come over she was in absolute shock. She didn't object to letting me purchase the beautiful doll and since I've had my own girl, I've lost my fear of other dolls as well! I have even gone so far as to sleep in the room at my Aunt's house full of them and actually held my friend's while I went to sleep! It's really amazing for me to overcome this fear that I've had for so long and owe it all to my Resin Soul Dai! ^.^

3. Hmm... When I first read the title I thought 'changed my life? I don't think a doll would have changed my life...' but actually thinking about it, I guess it has.

Creatively, I have more freedom. It sort of pulled me away from fanfiction and back to writing my own stuff, which is what I needed. Plus they help me think outside the box.

But in terms of my actual life... I suppose they fill me a bit. I don't feel the need to be in a relationship anymore because I'm happy enough by myself - I actually enjoy being by myself - so I guess they helped me through my breaking up with my ex. Plus they give me the confidence to be myself without having to pretend I'm something different for the sake of others. They provide a lot of positive energy in my life that I think I needed back when I got my first. I couldn't be without them now XD There are always little goals to reach and things to look forward to with BJDs, which makes them such a great hobby :lol:

4. I have lots and lots of wonderful great friends from DoA thanks to this hobby!!! It's really great, and it makes me feel included in something ^^
      This hobby has been overall excellent for me, I have goals to save up for certain things which inspires me to work and get little jobs, and I can come home and squee over my beautiful boy.
      He's inspired me to start writing and drawing again, and I'm teaching myself to sew, as well!!!

I have something I can really enjoy, for once in my life, and the only thing that's bad is I spend too much time on these forums ;D

5. Aww...difficult question.
      I think I'm never bored. If I'm not oggling my sewing box, to give me power to sew, then I am taking pictures about my girl. Before getting my girl I was too lazy to do creative things. Now I'm always doing something. (Just...PLEASE! I won't sew. The sewing box hates me. *cries*)

6. I used to never spend money. Seriously. I used to spend maybe 20% of my pay, and the rest all went into the bank and just sat there. I make (a lot) more money now, but I also have more expenses (I was young enough when I started collecting that I didn't have bills yet, beyond paying for gas for my car). Those expenses I now have (internet bills, electric bills, insurance, and rent), combined with the doll hobby, have pretty much demolished my savings, and I don't really save much of my money any more. Especially not like I used to! Still, I'm much happier now, and I'm never so short on money that I can't pay my bills. So it doesn't bother me.

7. I got a lot new friends through BJD, which I really love :)
      And I started writing a lot more, which I actually wanted to do, but never had the inspiration for.. so my dolls are great inspiration for me to get more creative :)

On the other hand, ouch.. the money 'loss'

8. Haha, as an agoraphobic with depression and social anxiety, after getting dolls I have something to focus on. And going to my first doll meet was a huge step in my path to getting better. It doesn't seem like much, but going to a park and meeting a bunch of people I didn't know was a really big deal after not leaving the house or answering the phone for weeks at a time.

So getting into bjds has actually changed my life drastically and for the better.

Edit: oh yeah, not to mention my difficulty once with a doll lost in postage... that forced me to spend a whole damn weekend contacting different people. It was not fun at the time, but at least I have experience with things like that now and I'll be ready to solve future situations like that.

9. I'm not sure I'd call myself an official doll parent, as I only have an artist made doll (who's currently sitting on a shelf, looking pretty, except for her lack of the back of her head and hair while I work slowly on a wig for her), which would probably explain why I don't feel I've changed much. But something tells me when I finally get the doll I have in mind, I will be changed. It will be a beloved character of mine, come almost to life. I'll have to update after I get him!