1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How important are doll boxes to you?

Jul 7, 2017

?
  1. Keep!

81.8%
  2. Toss them!

9.3%
  3. Keep if CoA is missing, otherwise toss them

8.9%
    1. I came from anime figure collecting where it's kind of a sin to throw out the boxes, so right now I'm keeping the boxes of all my dolls ^^' however, it does take up a lot of room,, reading the comments here and knowing that in BJD collecting it isn't as much of a sin, I'm actually kind of relieved!

2. I answered this several years ago, but my answer has since changed. I used to only keep boxes if they added value or were pretty, but now I keep them all even though none of them are regularly stored in the boxes.

People are a lot more suspicious now of the legitimacy of dolls without boxes and/or papers and as often as I sell and trade, I think having the box will make it easier to rehome dolls.

Not only that, but it’s so much easier to safely transport dolls in boxes. I’m planning to move in the next year or so, and packing up 13 dolls without boxes would be a nightmare!

3. i keep all of them! even if they add no value i personally enough having them and if i need to move all my dolls i'd rather just throw them in their boxes than have them loose or in carrying bags

4. I have a small apartment and lots of stuff but still keep my doll boxes. I just can't justify getting rid of them. :sweat
      If you're selling a doll, having the original box is a major plus if not an absolute must for me. Having the original box is also good if you're moving to keep the doll safe (and as I know I will be moving sometime in the next few years simply can't get rid of my boxes no matter how annoying they can be sometimes).
      However to make them as useful as possible, I do keep things in them like maintenance tools, shoes/shoe boxes and wigs that aren't currently being used.

5. I'm honestly not sure what to do. I don't have a bjd box yet. I'm the type of person who likes to keep and collect things. At the same time I don't like it because my mother is the type to throw everything away if possible. I learned from her :lol:

A really important thought is the moving aspect. It's not like I move very often. But in the past five years I had to move my stuff around 6 times. I think it would be great to have a safe transport box if that were to happen again.

Then again I hate keeping boxes... I do it, but I hate it. I'd probably throw away most bjd boxes if I can't fold them and they're not special.

Last but not least, I didn't know that boxes are a sign of legitimacy. In fact, I'd be happy to buy it without a box because then I don't have to decide wether to throw it or not myself :lol:

6. I keep the box for the reasons others have stated. I might want to sell the doll. I might want to store the doll. With the other dolls I collect (not BJDs), boxes are very important. I just got used to keeping boxes. That said, I don't have an enormous collection. If I had say, 100 dolls, I might not keep all of the boxes.

7. Boxes vary for me. I like having boxes as an extra piece of legitimacy, especially if there is no COA available. At the same time, they're super bulky, and if I can get a cheaper deal by omitting the box, I will. I have a Doll-Family A SD-size box and it's so bulky and sticks out in storage. I opted not to get a box when I got my April Story Senior body and I just store him in that DFA box with the DFA body haha.

Personally I'm more of a collector for keeps with no plans to resell, I've never sold any of my other collectibles in my other hobbies before either, so there's really no point for me to keep the boxes, they take up a lot of space and I've had to downsize a lot over the years. The boxes are really there for secure storage if I need to pack up my dolls.

8. My opinion has changed recently... after having up to 8 dolls at one time, I'm ready to burn them. This probably sounds horrifying to some, but they just take up space. Besides, out of my current 7 dolls... well, all are staying. And having 7 boxes lying around? Nah, don't need them. I'll make s'mores from the fire.

Plus, I have storage containers. Those plastic boxes? I have two shallow ones that I can slide under my bed so if they need to be stored, well, there we go! Safe place to put them, with a blanket on the bottom, and a blanket laying over them before I put the lid on.

9. I keep all of mine. I've always had the space. I'm preparing to move, and I'm very glad to have them. Due to being a collector, I like to enjoy my things, but, also keep them in collectable condition. Having the original box adds a significant value in my opinion. I like to buy second hand dolls, and I don't mind to pay a little extra if the doll has it's own, original box. It's not a deal-breaker, but, it's highly unlikely I would ever pay top-dollar if the box was missing.

Oh, an my son's MiniFee Karsh has his original box, but it was made before they gave certificates, so, that's what we have for that doll. Otherwise, it would be difficult to prove it's not a worthless recast.

10. My dolls are always on display so I’ve used their boxes as ways to store all my doll related things like face up supplies, clothes and fabrics. It has worked great for me, but now my collection of dolls has grown to the point of me starting to have a problem with their boxes, so maybe I’ll need to start flattening some of them soon:lol:

11. While I do not have my first bjd, I know I'm going to keep the box. I am a bit of a box hoarder, and have all of my pullip, pop figures, and art figure boxes saved. They take up a lot of space, but I can't bring myself to get rid of them!

12. Since I currently have enough space to store mine, I don't see the harm in keeping them, so I do. Also, I currently live with my parents and while I plan to continue living with them for the next several years, it will be nice to have the doll boxes for safety when I inevitably move. As my collection grows I might change my mind about a few boxes, but I suppose we'll see!

13. I'm a collector. Therefore I'll keep the doll boxes. If I would like to sell them someday, I think that other collectors would appreciated the completeness. I definitely would, when I buy a second hand doll. ;)

14. I keep the boxes for resale value personally. While having just the CoAs is good for a sale, the boxes really protect the doll in transit like no other box would. Plus they usually come with fun goodies for the next person to appreciate the doll to have. I also like keeping the carrying bags and stuff somewhere safe.

15. I would keep the boxes, but I find shipping them extremely hard in covid...
      Like EMS is not available anymore and DHL is quoting international shipping for 70cm boxes at $300, and registered airmail won't take anything larger than 90cm L+W+H combined
      So I am actually considering - maybe I'll ship unstrung and cut up boxes?? Because yeah people are way more suspicious of authenticity these days but practically shipping the whole large box is near impossible
      A desperate time indeed.

16. I try to store them in random places like under a bed or even under a desk,just out of the way. The ones that are still around still have parts in them. I don't think a box is too necessary but it can be for resales.

17. .

#297 Gintsumi, May 28, 2020
      Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
    18. To me, boxes are very important, in case I need to find a new home for said doll. It's nearly impossible to shell a doll without a box, even if it is genuine, because people are on the lookout for bunk recast sellers.

19. As a buyer I am always happier if the original box is included on anything I purchase so I have a habit of keeping any box of something I think I may eventually sell. It helps to ease my mind as both a buyer and a seller but it does take up a lot of closet space.

20. My family always keeps boxes for expensive purchases just in case something needed to be returned or packed away.
      I know BJDs can't be returned haha but maybe force of habit?
      I also keep them as a backup in case the dolls need to be stored away.

It also seems like a shame to recycle a pretty box :XD: