1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How important are doll boxes to you?

Jul 7, 2017

?
  1. Keep!

81.8%
  2. Toss them!

9.3%
  3. Keep if CoA is missing, otherwise toss them

8.9%
    1. I keep boxes for things that cost me quite a bit of money, so I did the same thing with my doll. Helps to prove ownership if I need to sell her and acts as storage for small doll items that would get lost otherwise.

2. I keep them and put my dolls accessories in them, kind of like a storage system. I also think that the box is nice to have in case I’ll ever need to store my doll for an emergency or if I’m moving.

3. I keep the doll boxes. Sometimes I put my dolls back on them and it was really useful when I had to move. Also, they are pretty :D I definetely toss the simple box that cointains the doll box, haha.

4. For some beautiful boxes, I will keep them. But for some ugly boxes, I used to throw them away. But now I find that if you want to sell dolls, some buyers care about the original box. If you don't have a box, they will ask you to lower the price or choose not to trade with you. So now I have to choose to keep all the boxes, when I'm not sure if they will be sold later.

5. I throw them all out in the recycling. I just don't have the space to store all of them... (Apartments are small here, space is precious...)

I do want to sell some of my older dolls that I'm just not interested in anymore, and I guess I won't mind lowering the price (coz no box) as I just want them gone! I'll also probably just ship them unstrung or half unstrung to save space and shipping cost.

6. Its such a special feeling of seeing my dolls in their box (especially since they look so squished in their cushioning). I think especially if the boxes are special, I would keep them :)

7. I normally keep it. I used some to store my dolls accessories or doll parts.

8. I hate having empty boxes lying around. They take up space and they smell! Cardboard has a very distinct smell that I don't like so it's not welcome in my house. :D

Edited to say that I've never yet sold a doll so resale hasn't been an issue.

9. I always save my boxes especially the vocaloid ones because of the fact they have art work. I always keep mine in my closet and I sometimes store there limited outfits inside but it’s been a hassle to go back and forth since I change there outfits all the time so I just have them there

10. My doll boxes function as storage when they aren't being played with; another piece of provenance; and part of the entire art package. They are very important to me, and to date all but 2 boxes I've kept have seen any kind of obvious damage. I'm actually much, much less likely to purchase any secondhand doll that doesn't come with its original box (granted so long as I know such a thing was even available).

11. I said keep, but it depends. If the box fits the doll perfectly I keep them in case I have to move or sell. If it is sent in a plain box where I could easily use a different box later on, then I let it go.

12. I could never throw my boxes away!

13. Branded boxes that have interesting design are a pity to throw away. But personally, I don't have enough space at home to store them all. Therefore, I do not consider the absence of a box to be something bad if the certificate is preserved. Who knows what kind of living condition some person has, and boxes can take up a lot of space.
      I only kept a couple of exclusive boxes and a couple more in case of a move.

14. I personally keep all my boxes. I like to have them for things like moving (which I actually did recently) as well as storing doll related things in them as well. Plus, on the times that I've sold a doll to the secondhand market, I found having the original box to help. To save space, I usually try to nest them together though (so I'll put YoSD boxes in MSD Boxes for example).

15. I prefer to split the difference. If it's a good, sturdy box, and I can fit more than one doll in it? That's usually a keep. If it's a flimsy box or I can't put multiple dolls in it, out it goes. Of course, now I have to dramatically downsize since I'm moving soon... Where am I going to keep these things? *_*

16. I always keep them - I have a built-in double wardrobe in my spare room and it is piled up to the ceiling with doll boxes and I've now started to stack them in the spare room itself round the walls and under shelving.

I have a bit of a box problem anyway (I always keep boxes of everything, and recently came across boxes to things we got rid of about 5 years ago, so...I do admit to having a problem! :XD:) but since the whole issue of whether dolls are legit or not, as mentioned up-thread, I've been doubly sure to hang onto them.

17. I don't think I could part with the boxes :[ I use them for storage in many cases, but they also hold value to me. The doll and the box feels like, excuse the pun, the whole package. I would have to be in a certain situation (serious move or ABSOLUTELY no extra space) to part with them.

18. I keep all my doll boxes, inner packaging and face shields, etc. Could come in useful if I needed them for temporary storage, like moving house, and also given that I'm planning to let some of my dolls go, I'm glad to have kept everything that arrived with them.

19. Keep! Unfortunately, I will have to move fairly often because of careers reasons for a few years still and until my work allows me to settle down for a few more years, it is more practical for me to have the boxes in anticipation of the move. Also, because of this, I never bothered to have a beautiful, functional shelf, so I store my books in towers and my things in boxes, so I am swamped by towers, boxes and towers of boxes. XD

20. I keep them because I’m currently storing my dolls in them, but I will probably still keep them once I have my display case set up. There is also a good chance that I will move in the next 2 years though, so that display case probably won’t be up for a while.

I don’t intend to sell the dolls I currently own at all, but I’m a sentimental pack rat and these are my first dolls so I will probably keep the boxes and foam forever. If I buy more dolls in the future I’d probably be more inclined to throw the boxes for those out than for my firsts :XD: