1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How important are doll boxes to you?

Jul 7, 2017

?
  1. Keep!

81.8%
  2. Toss them!

9.3%
  3. Keep if CoA is missing, otherwise toss them

8.9%
    1. I always always always keep! But I tend to move around a lot, so having boxes for everything makes the process much smoother. I keep boxes for anything 'collectable' if the value is over $50. I also personally prefer to buy dolls if the original box is included. I can see the appeal of tossing them though- especially for large dolls. It takes up so much space!

2. I won't buy a doll without a box. I keep all the boxes though I have no plans to ever sell one of my girls.

3. I'm a box keeper - unless they came in something flimsy or only a packing box (like Dollstown does) I just stack 'em in the spare closet. I collect other toys and figures and that kinda got me in the habit of keeping every box 'just in case'. As far as buying second hand is concerned, I don't really care if the doll comes with it's original box. I just want the CoA if it came with one to begin with.

4. I only have 2 SDs now so it's still okay for me. But I don't think I can bear to throw them unless they come to me in a really bad state. My dolls live in the boxes sometimes so its like their home. Though if someday my collection grows too big I will probably throw the "not so pretty" ones haha

5. I keep the boxes only because it seems to be required if you ever need to sell. Though I'm getting tempted to just carefully flatten them out for storage as I'm running out of room to store empty boxes. I only have my bedroom to store everything in. Closet is full, under the bed is full....

Edited to add, closet and under the bed are full not just with doll boxes, but everything else I have, craft supplies, clothes, a dollhouse I don't know what to do with, action figure boxes, school memorabilia, life stuff. I hate having to keep boxes.

6. I used to keep mine. Then I started rethinking it just a few months back, after they started taking up so much room in my little house. The decision to toss became easier once I pulled them out and saw that the lovely humid climate in my area had encouraged little spots of mold all over them.
      Yuck!
      So, no more box keeping for me. I do keep the COAs, receipts, and pillows, though. Hopefully, if I ever try to resell that will be enough.
      If I ever buy a fancy-schmancy limited something-or-other, I will probably try to find a way to keep the box, though.

7. I keep the boxes if my doll came with them, but I haven't been bothered whenever I get a secondhand doll sans box. I guess that would make me in the category of take it or leave it. Nice if I have it, but not required.

8. I keep all of my doll boxes, and while it does take up a lot of room, I do use them to store my dolls in as I just do not have the proper way to display them how I would like. It also seems like a sin to throw away such beautiful boxes, even if I did have them out on display.

9. I have kept all of my doll boxes. I do as others have mentioned, and will store accessories and clothes specific to that doll in the box. I also have space to store the boxes. I think I will always find a way to store them, just because at some point down the road I may decide to reduce my collection. Having the boxes makes them a little easier to sell, and easier to ship.
      This applies to both my resin dolls, as well as my large off topic doll collection. :)

10. I've kept most of my doll's boxes. I do buy a fair bit second hand so not all my resinkids came as boxed originally. Also have disposed of some of the rattier ones, mostly older Volks standard issue that are more flimsey. Their white FCS one-off and limited boxes tend to be sturdier. I went out of my way to have my newest Yotenshi shipped in her white box. These boxes ship real well even without the outer shipper. Layer of small bubble wrap plus brown paper is all you need. I sent most of my crew home from Japan this way.

My crew lives boxed in my closet when not playing with them. About 2/3rds of my crew has boxes. the ones that don't share with similar size dolls or sleep on top. I have more pillows than boxes.

My first doll, Angle Region Kai, first issue from 2004 or earlier came in a wood box that is truly special.

11. I've kept some boxes and tossed others. I just don't have room for them all.

12. I keep all boxes! I just love them!
      The boxes that my pretty ones came in are pretty sturdy and/or beautifully decorated and I keep them.

13. I keep their original boxes, I used to also keep the boxes they got mailed in-- but I'm slowly getting rid of those. I also keep most of the foam/plastic bits that the dolls I've bought directly come with, and when I sell any of my dolls I try to repackage them as close to how they arrived to me when I'm able. Any fullset parts that I'm not using stays in their original box.

I probably could get rid of the boxes of the dolls I don't plan on selling... But that can be thought about if I ever run out of room in my closet :sweat

14. I prefer boxes, if I have them I keep them and I always pay extra used for the original box.

They do take up a lot of space but it's a collectors item ^^ original packaging is always nice!

15. I personally hate doll boxes. They are boxes. They are bulky they take up space they get in the way. For collectors incase i sell my dolls i try to keep the boxes but like my one doll box got messed up. It sat behind my bed and something got spilled its now in that box and that just annoys me. I have nowhere to store them where i currently live as my whole life is in one room. They are pretty yes and its nice to have your dolls in them but personally i do no care if i buy a doll and it doesnt come in the original box. I didn't buy the doll for the box. The box isnt on display. Im going to chuck the box in the back of my closet and im going to forget its there. It will likely get crushed. Sorry but i dont care about the pretty cardboard.

16. I've always kept all my doll boxes, and to be honest I'm a bit of a box hoarder for other things as well (especially makeup). I use my doll boxes to store their COA/extra hands and parts/etc but I also feel that it just sort of adds a sense of completion to the doll to have their box, especially if you decide to resell it. Like if I'm buying a doll second hand, I'd probably be willing to pay extra for one that comes with its box vs one that doesn't haha. It definitely takes up a lot of room but it's worth it to me!

#36 cocobash1019, Jul 8, 2017
      Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    17. I keep my boxes,They don't take up that much space and its a way to keep your doll nice clean and tidy when not in use. If you ever decide to sell your doll the box is a good thing to have for shipping as well. I still have the original candy that dollzone gave me with my dolls, I just like to keep everything.

18. I don't have room to keep the boxes from every doll I buy so most of them usually end up being tossed. The only exceptions are the Fairyland boxes, because they are so sturdy and well-made, with cut-out cushioned inserts to hold the dolls completely still during transportation and such. They're just too NICE to toss.

I also will try to keep the box for any limited doll I buy, like the Soom limiteds.

I also try and keep the shipping boxes. It's hard to find boxes that are the right size for mailing dolls, so I break down the shippers and store them, so if/when I sell a doll I've got a box the proper size to ship it in. And I'll keep the pillows from the doll boxes, too. They come in handy to make seat cushions for doll chairs and such. Or I'll use them to add extra cushioning to shipping boxes if I sell a doll that no longer has its box.

Some of my dolls don't even come with boxes. The Trinity dolls arrive packed securely in very nice carrying cases (that are almost as tall as I am). The Kaye Wiggs girls also arrive mummified with bubblewrap and shipped in a cushioned green carry bag.

19. it depends on the box, like.. my doll chateau's box is SOOO nice, it's really pretty and holds the certificate and little baggy he came in safe. The resinsoul boxes are just shipping boxes and they're HUGE so they get chucked and the bags? Honestly i'm tempted to see if anyone wants a couple because there's no way i'll ever be transporting 5 dolls simultaniously unless i'm moving house and I really doubt i'd put them into individual bags for that. And the msd cases are just so dang huge, i don't have the space.

But if it's a really nice looking box? Yeah I keep it. I kept my SDCC exclusives boxes even though I deboxed those dolls (MH dolls) and I also kept for years the really dang nice Pinkie Cooper box because omg half the retail price went into that box I swear, it's way too nice for a playline doll and it's bizarre. But unless the box is really special? Or I have an alternate use? (I keep doll clothes in my Makies tubes for instance) they just take up space.

20. Boxes are very important to me because they keep the doll safe when moving.

I try not to be picky when buying secondhand, but Dollstown's direct from company shipping method kills me (although I have two bodies). A shipping container with no doll box, some packing peanuts, and bubble wrap. Whyyyyy?

Naturally, by contrast, Dollshe's boxes are some of my favorites because all the extra pieces have a home! Each little extra hand, foot, dressing assist, elastic, and option head. This pleases me greatly!

I think I wouldn't mind getting a dolly carrying bag instead; however, like Resinsoul.