1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How important are doll boxes to you?

Jul 7, 2017

?
  1. Keep!

81.8%
  2. Toss them!

9.3%
  3. Keep if CoA is missing, otherwise toss them

8.9%
    1. I like to have everything the doll came with from the company. No box is not a deal breaker, but it will definitely save some hassle if you are trying to sell a popular doll thats been recasted.

2. I voted keep because that's what I've done, but I'm honestly losing patience with doll boxes. I hate devoting the space to store them, and they're starting to feel less like a necessary part of doll collecting and more like clutter.

3. I toss the box. I just don't have a use for them and I have no plans to sell. If I was selling dolls, I might keep them to show authenticity but I can't think of another reason to keep them, unless you were storing your dolls in them.

4. I want to keep the boxes because they could come in handy for storage but in the past I often had to toss them because of lack of space. :( Imagine a collection of 20+ dolls or a lot more. You'll get swamped in boxes unless you've got a large attic or storage room.
      Nowadays I do try to keep every doll box but mostly because I need one for shipping when selling a doll. Also, if the doll doesn't come with a CoA it's wise to keep the original box.
      I'd say, if you've got enough space, keep at least one or two boxes just in case. If you don't have space and think the boxes are in the way you could toss them or find a new purpose for the box. Because, they can be used for storage of other stuff than dolls. :)

5. It depends. I don't really have a space to show them off right now so my two newest dolls are still using their boxes but, for the most part, I don't really keep them.

6. Keep. It has better resell value with all the bells and whistles.

7. I still have all of my doll boxes now but I plan to throw away a few of them after I settled down since I have been moving a lot. I think if I will keep the boxes if I plan to sell the dolls, if not, it takes up quite some space in my room and I kinda don't like that. Or exceptions being the box is super pretty (?) that I don't want to throw it away.

8. I prefer to have the boxes, but that's because I tend to keep the boxes for a lot of things just in case I want to sell it later. Collectors tend to pay more if it has the original box.

Only one of my dolls doesn't have the box, and it's because I bought it secondhand and the person I bought it from didn't have it.

9. I keep mine - I've moved around a lot and they are good for making sure dolls are transported safely. I don't keep all my dolls on display all the time so I also use them to keep the dolls in when I'm not playing wh them. I have bought a couple of dolls second hand without boxes many years ago, but now that recasts are way more common I'd think twice about it.

10. Hmm well I would describe myself to have "hoarder tendencies" because I absolutely hate throwing things away and get attached to random items for now reason so I would probably keep everyd I'll box I get XD and I would be more inclined to buy a secondhand doll that has a box.

I personally would also be willing to pay a bit more if the doll came with its box, just as sort of a collector thing lol

11. I decided to keep both of my boys' boxes due to them both being from Volks.
      Neither had CoA's due to being apart of the FCS system, so aside from the headplate, the box is one of the few distinguishing markers to show they're Volks. My SD came with a pamphlet, but nothing resembling documentation.
      (Not to mention I find the Super Dollfie box really nice)
      I also really don't like leaving my dolls out, so it allows a good place to keep them that I know they'll be safe.

12. Honestly, boxes don't mean a whole heck of a lot to me. This goes for more than just dolls, because I collect transformers figures as well. If I don't know for sure if I'm going to have a connection with it, I'll hold onto the box for future resale, but if I'm certain from the start that I won't be getting rid of it, the box is the first thing to go if I can't easily break it down at the seams and fold it away for storage.

13. I'm so glad to hear that some of you recycle the boxes. I just don't have room to store too many, only the very special ones!

14. I personally like the boxes especially if they are special or decorative. If they are plain I don't really care about keeping them as much.
      As for buying I'd rather buy the doll with the box as it's another piece of insurance that you're getting what you're buying but it's not necessarily a make or break if the doll I want doesn't have the original box.

15. I typically like to keep the doll boxes, it's nice to have some storage and it just FEELS safe to have a doll shipped to you in their original box.

16. Definitely keep! I use them as storage for my dolls and their parts/stuff as needed, and as a mild hoarder, I just really like having them. Also, if I were ever to sell a doll, I'd be more comfortable shipping it with its box and pillow to keep it hopefully protected!

17. I moved in March 2017 and I did a massive box purge. They were taking up space and I couldn't see myself dragging a dozen empty boxes partway across the country only for them to take up space in my new home too.

18. I frankly have neither the space nor the inclination to keep boxes. It would take away space for my beloved dolls and their displays, and we simply can't be having that around here!:)

19. This is what I dislike about my collector's brain, I want to keep everything including the box that I have no space for anywhere. Honestly, I tend to keep the boxes in case I sell the doll because I'd like to ship it with its original packaging but a lot of people these days prefer to have dolls shipped unstrung without their box to save money - who can blame them? shipping costs have gone up a lot. I still prefer to keep the boxes, and even if my brain says no my heart forces myself to pay a little more to get a doll shipped second hand with its original packaging, especially if it's a cute box. Then I'll break them down and store them in a container that'll protect them from weather conditions and insects because there's no way I can store them if they're not flattened. It's always fun trying to figure out how to put them back together if I sell the doll. :XD:
      (complete sarcasm, trust me, lol)

20. I keep all of the packaging that my dolls come with (box, bubblewrap, pillows, face protector) even though I don't really have much of a use for any of it. I'm just worried that some day I will need it for something and if I throw it away I won't have it. it doesn't really take up too much space either, I keep it all on a shelf in my closet with my suitcases.