1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How important is having your dolls all be proportionate to each other to you?

May 26, 2019

1. I don't have characters or back stories for my dolls, so sizes don't matter at all. I do like them to have a cohesive style which in my case seems to involve mostly fantasy colours and unusual sculpts.

2. Pretty much this right here.

Now, that said, I have bought a doll specifically to fit with another doll, but in general, I just go for whatever I fall in love with. So it might nudge me to buy one, but it usually won’t prevent me doing so.

3. I am definitely going to need to see these, if you do. :love

4. My Argonautica Little Ifi and arriving soon Doll Chateau Elizabeth are going to be out of proportion to each other, but they'll have a similar aesthetic/face-up since I'll be doing face ups on both. They're in the same story and it's fantasy/supernatural so it's not going to bother me (in fact, Elizabeth being so much bigger will work in my favour for story reasons).

5. It is important if they are characters in the same story, I only have SD dolls anyway so that helps, but still my Volks dolls heads are huge next to the other company dolls I have and it's a bit annoying

6. Doesn’t matter to me at all, as I buy what dolls I like. None of my dolls have stories or are characters. They are just for enjoyment. I have micro up to 47cm and have them all on display together. The only criteria I have for not buying a doll is the cost and size (nothing over 50cm).

7. Different proportions won't stop me from buying. But it's a challenge to make photoes of dolls with different proportions. You can add a fantasy characters to realistic storyline and give a nice explanation, but taking pictures of very different in style and proportion dolls is harder. So, if you like challenges, welcome.

And I had second thought while searching fitting couple for my Sabik with a huge but realistic head. I'd like him to have a realistic girlfriend, but not usual choices like old soom sculpts. The girl I finally choose has a much smaller head. That's why I started a research on human proportions and found interesting couples: for example, Jason Momoa with his wife - totally different head size and proportions, but still one of the most beatiful couples. Long story short, life is much more varied and complicated than a fiction. Learn from life. Enjoy your dolls in their different or similar proportions

8. It is absolutely important to me. All of my dolls (except the anthros) fit in the same storyline, and they have to look good together in pictures. It's okay if the aesthetics are a little different (say, Luts and Elfdoll for example), but couldn't have two that are extremely different (like Dollfie Dream and Granado). Proportion is so important to me than I even choose dolls or make hybrids so the characters' heights are right in comparison to each other. They don't have to scale up to their exact height, but I can't have two 58cm dolls representing my girls who are 5'2" and 5'8" in character. The taller character has to get shelled in a taller doll.

My only exception is that Amir is MSD when the rest are SD. This is only because Amir was my first doll, way back when I thought MSD was the best size for me, and after 11 years together, I can't part with him even though he doesn't fit in and hangs out in the sewing room instead of with the SD crew.

9. When i first started this hobby around 8 years ago this was a huge thing for me. I wanted all my dolls to be somewhat similar so i only bought one brand. I was petrified of my dolls looking like they don't belong in a photo together so only bought from one company. So can totally relate to people who find this important.

However, when i met my best friend in the hobby and saw how beautiful her doll was it opened up my eyes to the option of having smaller dolls and dolls who weren't from the same company (all my dolls at the time were 1/3).
      As soon as i bought my first doll from another company and my first MSD i totally broke down that brick wall of wanting them all the same. My MSD doll is a younger versions of my SD doll so wouldn't have them in the same photo, but otherwise all my dolls are different from each other now and i love it. They all have their own personalities and differences but regardless they all look cohesive.

10. Some cohesiveness is important for me if the dolls' characters have familial connections (i.e. parent/child), or are a couple who are going to be photographed together often, like this:

[​IMG]
      Family Photo 2
      by Yela Gatchalian-David, on Flickr

I tend to favor petite heads, and it bugged me to no end when my male doll's head ended up smaller than his partner, who I eventually reshelled to her current incarnation. However, that does not mean I don't cave in to a stylistically different doll every now and then, and it's pretty much anything goes when that happens.

11. Since my dolls tend to represent some of my more favored OCs, I prefer them to be in the same style/size as others in the same story. But that doesn't stop me from getting a doll I love - it just means I have to then figure out where they're going or which character they're going to represent. Bringing my FID Arivd home sparked a whole new story between my girlfriend and me, where it's populated by fashion-sized dolls XD

The only exception is our fae. We both like our fae to have an otherworldliness and creepiness to them, and so seek out more stylized dolls, while the humans of that same world will have a more realistic look. We've gone so far as to do a realistic skin texture on the humans that the fae lack. We even have some tiny and mini dolls planned for that world, as our fae come in a very wide variety of sizes and shapes.

12. I like for my dolls to be in proportion to each other. I have SD, MSD and YO size but they work together because the MSD and YO are all children. No mature dolls under SD size in my group. I have dolls from several different companies but they still look good together. I haven't branched out into fantasy dolls yet. When I do everything could change.
      (I need more display shelves.)

13. At the start it was important to me having similar sizes and realistic features, but now I have branched out getting dolls completely different from my first. I even got one with anime style eyes which was a big dislike for me initially (now I love them) eventually they will get a matching style but even if they don't they still look great alone but I'd still put them on a different shelf than matching ones

14. It kind of bothers me a little
      Recently i had a minifee into the family which is 42cm and my original msd doll is 48cm

I never knew 6cm difference could be so huge till i saw them side by side

15. I don't really mind. I do have some dolls that I photograph together a lot that are mostly the same or similar proportions, but there is no consistency in the group as a whole.
      I have quite a few fantasy sculpts, and I do love fantasy colours. Somehow I think proportions matter less if one of the dolls is grey and the other is green... LOL!!

16. Nope, I really don't care. It's especially obvious with my 1/3 scale dolls, since I have super skinny, small-headed DC dolls alongside the standard chubbier, bigger-headed ones. I find 1/4 scale a lot easier to stay proportionate with, but even then there's some scale weirdness going on.

17. Nope don't care a jot. Like my dolls to be like humans all shapes and sizes

18. I prefer cohesiveness. I never thought my 1/4 and 1/3 bjds looked quite right together and would not really photograph them together, etc. Now I only have SD and am happier with my collection that way.
      I do sometimes miss the smaller size but I ever venture back into collecting minis it would be like taking on a new type of doll for me.
      Stylistically too, I prefer my dolls look like they go together. All my current dolls are from the same company and anymore I rarely even look at other types.

19. Most of my dolls are the same general size so they can interact in photos. I don’t get as super fussed about features and head sizes matching exactly as I used to, but for the most part they look like they could exist in the same world.

20. I prefer my dolls to share a similar aesthetic yes. Lucky for me, I don't really like the realistic look anyway, so my entire collection is wonderfully old-skool.