1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How important is having your dolls all be proportionate to each other to you?

May 26, 2019

1. If I wanted certain dolls to be in the same story together, or to be photographed together, then I think proportions would matter a lot. But as a whole, it doesn't matter much to me since I mainly use my dolls like little fashion models. The two that I have right now are a YoSD and a mature tiny, so the scale with them next to each other is so strange, but I love them both! I just like to buy the dolls that I think are pretty, or have nice sculpting. That's what's most important to me.

2. For me, being proportionate is a serious must if the doll is going to be part of my story. However, I wouldn't mind getting a doll that wouldn't quite look right next to them if I liked it enough. Dollzone Miyou is a great example. I love his little face so much, but there's no way he could be a character in my story.

I'm also dying for a chubby bb doll whether he'd look right with the others of that size or not. I freaking adore those pudgy angels! In fact, I wonder if a chubby bb would actually look more like a child than a regular msd does in comparison to the more mature 70cm dolls.

3. If my dolls are meant to be characters that interact, I want them to be proportionally similar. I have sold heads because the faces didn't look like two boys who could kiss. Lol

Otherwise proportional similarity is nice for sharing clothes and shoes and eyes, but not a dealbreaker.

4. I have three different "worlds" for my bjds. The medieval fantasy ones I like to work together aesthetically and proportionately but because it's medieval fantasy (D&D specifically) I use a YOSD doll as a halfling without any real issue and an SD as a giant kin lol. But I do try to make sure their face sculpts and heights etc are at least proportionate and stylistically similar.

My other big group is the monster circus crew who do NOT match up aesthetically because it didn't matter to me with their world. They're all some for of monster or mythical creature, meaning any shape, any size works in that context. They're VERY varied with a large assortment of different styles incorperated.

And my final group is currently only the one doll but I intend to get him a friend. They're my modern era more doll-like dolls. He's a Blue Fairy doll which is the first bjd I ever wanted many years ago and they're quite old fashioned now in a lot of ways with quite "doll-like" faces. I intend to get him a Luts friend heh. Their round little sweet faces work together but don't really mesh with the fantasy and horror dolls of the rest of my collection.

Doing this saves my sanity. I like each group to look cohesive for sure.

but I also don't get quite so nitpicky about it all because i'm accustomed to collecting quite a large assortment of playline dolls anyway so a varied collection on one shelf doesn't bug me that much.

But man, when i'm shelling existing characters I definitely get SUPER nitpicky about scale to one another (they need to be the right heights!) and that is a whoooole other level of insanity.

5. Not in the least important. Otherwise I would go insane lol. Aesthetic isn't even all too important to me just so long as I like how the doll itself looks.

6. I will try to keep proper proportions as much as I can until I meet a doll by which I can not pass. It will happen, sooner or later. =)

7. I don't have any dolls that go together or are part of a story so none of them are proportionate to each other really. I do hope to find a boy for my Minifee though so I do hope to proportion him at least.

8. People come in all sizes and shapes, so it's not that hard to get dolls to all fit in one 'universe' so to speak. Aesthetics, that's a bit harder. My dolly world is 1 cm = 1 inch, more or less. SDs are adults, MSD are older children, YOSDs are toddlers/kindergarteners, and 1:12th size are babies. Pretty simple. There ARE couples where the guy is a foot or more taller than the girl!
      Now, some dolls have bigger heads than others - the one that I am having the hardest time with is a Soul Doll Vito who's supposed to be my Volks SD 10 boy's best bud. I have to be real careful how I take pics of them due to head size. Funny thing, tho, my DZ MSD Mo looks more proportional to the Volks :D Still, done right it works!

9. It does matter to me, but I don't think too hard about because I have pretty particular tastes and prefer a certain aesthetic. So all the dolls I like already look like they belong together. When shelling characters, I am careful about making sure their heights are proportionate, though.

10. My dolls are part of a fantasy storyline, so height doesn't really bother me. I currently have a tiny Unidoll and a 60cm SD on the way!

11. I get dolls I fall in love with regardless of scale or size. I really like having a wide variety and am working on a club/bar set up presently specifically so that I can display a wide variety of dolls in WIDELY varying styles together. I also find my big girls like having some little dolls of their own (get a job you bums!!!!) and that helps the display work. I once did a display with a bunch of the bigger girls at a doll show "buying" the smaller ones. IMO it just makes things more interesting and gives you even more options which is my favorite thing about bjds in general.

12. I used to want my dolls to be like a big extended family so everyone had to have the right size head, and the right ratio in size. Now I have at least 3 groups and one has all the odd ones because they are ion a fantasy realm so size isn't a issue. I am much happier and I get to keep the ones I really love.

13. I wanted everyone to have about the same height, until I brought home 70+.

14. I have a few different groups of dolls, and I prefer to have everyone in the group be stylistically similar to each other. I'm mostly comparing heads together in a group, the bodies are less important. As long as the dolls in those certain groups are cohesive, I'm happy to have other dolls as one-offs/randoms in my collection. :)

15. I think it's mattered a little more than I might have anticipated. :sweat My first two dolls are very realistic and perfectly to scale with each other, but I was recently gifted a doll with a much wider face and more simplified, anime-like features. I like the doll, but it does bother me just a little how he sticks out... I tried giving him a realistic face-up, but the soft features just made it look a little strange. So at this point, I'm thinking I'll probably try changing the gender and trying a more feminine face-up to see if it'll help the doll fit in with the rest of my crew. We'll see how it goes!

16. Yes, I would buy the doll. I like the differences. Though, that said, I also like reasonably proportionate dolls, so they can wear each other's clothing. :-)

17. Pretty important to me. I have SD and immature MSDs. As much as there have been mature MSDs I would love to have, I refuse to get them.

Mine is a collection of cohesion with a few smatterings of flavoring.
      The anthros can get way with being a bit oddball. ;)

18. The first doll I got has definitely influenced dolls I've purchased after. He is MSD size so I have carried on that tradition. He does have a bigger head than the ones bought after which does bother me a bit. I would like an SD but it wouldn't fit with the little collection I currently have, nor would it fit in the display I plan on making for them. It would have to be a seperate entity.

19. It's not important to me at all. I have super realistic SDs, fashion MSDs, cute MSDs, I have creepy Doll Chateaus and Dream Valleys, kawaii YOSD and I want to order a realistic Maskcat YOSD too... I don't keep my dolls exposed, so it's not a problem fo me at all. My dolls don't even know eachother :lol:

20. It doesn't matter to me for collecting purposes - my on-topic dolls are in 1/12, 1/4, and 70cm scale as well as whatever the bird is by fantasy bird standards (well, the 70cm boy is headless at the moment, but that's fine), and my off-topic collection has a variety of different-proportioned 1/6 as well as 1/8 and 1/12. I actually think posing the 1/12 and 70cm dolls together is fun, since for him 1/12 works out to a bit smaller than MSD.

I do, however, have a considerable preference for mature dolls and anthros/animals, and I haven't deviated from that. If I saw a doll I loved, though, I'm sure I would. I actually like my dolls to be really different from one another!