1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How important is having your dolls all be proportionate to each other to you?

May 26, 2019

1. I have an established scale for my DnD girls, to try to keep everybody roughly in scale. Basically, my 7 foot tall Paladin is 75cm, and that means every foot is 10.71 cm, approximately. This makes my f60 (54cm) 5’ 1/2” which is half an inch shorter than her canon height, but I’ll live. I try to keep everyone roughly in scale. (It’s fun finding a 53 cm body for my shortest girl..).

This means, naturally everyone’s is an SD, or in that ambiguous, barely an SD space Zaoll goes in, because that’s roughly the height my shadar kai will be. However, this group includes just so many twigling hybrids, 2 iplehouse girls, with doll, fairyland, basically whatever best suits their characters. A bunch of them are different species anyway, so it doesn’t really matter. Super hyper realistic Granado dolls might look a bit off, and dollfie dreams and other really anime sculpts would look really off, but I’m not super picky about head proportions or anything like that, as long as the head looks right on the body I put it on.

my other series doesn’t have that strict of a scale, but some characters have to be taller/shorter. It’s also all over the map in terms of companies and styles, but has that same approximate idea of “it has to look normal with my twigling girl” because she’s the protag.

2. It doesn't matter to me unless they're meant to interact with eachother. Like, if they're in the same setting/story of mine, or partners, or brothers. uwu I have 20+ settings for my dolls to go into, so most of them aren't going to interact with one another!

3. It’s fairly important to me, that’s part of the reason I got rid of my Resinsouls and Sooms, their heads just looked bloated and bulbous next to something like a Withdoll. MiniFee is kinda on the line, most are a bit too child like. It doesn’t have to be perfect, but pretty close, so as a general rule, I try to go for 1/4 mature dolls with 12mm eyes and 1/3 dolls with 16mm eyes.

4. I like all my dolls to be kind of similar in size, which has worked out so far. my DC dolls are a little taller than my DZ dolls, but I'm ok with that. it would bother me if they were wildly different sizes or styles

5. I frankly couldn’t care less if they match! I knew this about myself going in, so I wisely created my world to be set in a Tim Burton-esque fantasy realm instead of a close knit family or group of similar friends, where everyone could be different and unique and their differences could be celebrated. I love the freedom it gives me in my collecting.:)

#65 PoeticSoul, Apr 23, 2020
      Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    6. I have only two hard and fast rules for this collection of mine...

The first of those rules is (and has always been) that the dolls who are meant to be displayed and photographed together, as members of the same "cast", MUST match each other in terms of both scale and sculptural style. They don't all have to be from the same company, but they *do* all have to look like they go together.... So no chunky, bobble-headed old-school Volks sculpts paired with scarecrow-skinny DCs or So-Very-Anime CP Delfs hanging around with realistic Granado guys. Even though I have all of those in the collection as a whole.

They just occupy different cabinets and never show up in pictures together. :lol:

7. Arrrrr me crew be a motley bunch.
      Joking aside, most of my dolls can kinda fit together. I have 3 tinies in scale with Yosds, but then theres the 2 pukis, and I accidently bought a 50cm obitsu(she's off topic, but I thought it was one of the small azone dolls. Nope 50cm. Teaches me to shop drunk)

I gave up on a universal scale. They all still fit good enough for me

8. Very. I have a huge range of dolls, but they have to look good next to the other dolls in their "groups". I've had dolls that were not proportionate to one another and they just look terrible in photos. The most recent: I bought a Dollshe Amanda head to be Poison Ivy not too long ago, and when I got her she was so tiny she just looked ridiculous next to my other dolls. Like, all my other dolls. Even though I love that head, and would love to use it for something, it's never going to happen.

9. While doing research on bjd dolls I have noticed that I take note of their heights. I don't seem to mind their appearance at first as even though that is the most important to me, I want them to be around the same size. I do feel that at some point this might become a negative and stop me from buying a doll sculpt I love but scale accuracy is what I take note of. If one looks out of place it will bother me and I would then sell it.

10. I would like all of my resin crew to be relative in height to one another. Most of them, when I eventually get them all in, will be couples and/or groups. I can't really have an FID [what I'm looking to switch to] paired with an SD [what I have currently]. The proportions would be all wrong!

But, for the sake of just having a physical representation of a character, I would forsake proportional variances in the different FID sculpts. There's only a 0.5cm difference in the Muscle and Model bodies. So, all of the boys will just have to be the same height, or just a teeny minuscule bit taller, with similar physiques. The girls could have a full cm difference between with one on the athletic and one on the slim; though, in reality, it'd be a bit more than that. But, again, it's not much of a difference in doll-form.

Some of my characters tower over the others in their stories, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make for the sake of having my favourites in doll-form. And, with them being in FID, I can fit more of them on the shelves or, maybe, in-shot for photos. I do love my SD+ crew, but I just feel a little overwhelmed with their size at times. I'm currently paying off my first FID, so I'll see how he settles in before making the final decision on the switch.

11. For me it's not really important. Only two of my dolls 'go together' story wise. Everyone else happens to be fairly proportional because I just really like big SDs and 70+.

12. Its pretty important for my dolls to be proportional to each other as they are all part of the same world. I have mainly mature tinies, so all their eyes are 6 or 8mm, and all their wigs are 3-4 to 4-5. They don't all match aesthetically though. Some are more stylized and some are more realistic

13. Hmmm... This is an interesting question. First off, I don't really have any BJD (yet!) to speak of, let alone a large group - the only dolls that I have are vinyl fashion dolls that have been redone, so they're all a uniform size.

That being said, I do have plans for my future dolls. The thing about them is that practically ALL of them are going to be fantasy type dolls. While I'm not sure how extensive the collection will be at this point, the smallest dolls that I'm looking at (<30cm) compared to the largest dolls (58+cm) won't be THAT bad considering they they're sprites/fae, so the small size doesn't bother me.

On the flipside, despite being fantasy, these dolls will be proportional and (mostly) realistic face sculpts, so I doubt that I'd want anything too 'cartoony' like those huge anime eyes, or those dolls that are like 1/4 scale but look like giant babies/children.

14. Very important. I’m not sure why, but I love them all being able to be next to each other and look like a group of human friends or a family. Not just heights and head size have to be similar, but I require the same level of realism/detail in their faces and bodies.

15. This is extremely important to me since I want all my dolls to be part of a story or part of the same universe. Of course I have smaller dolls but they are still part of the story and they "fit in" like magical smaller creatures. I get really annoyed if something doesn't match so size is important to me. I want to own a SD one day just to see how big and heavy they are and their presence must be fantastic but since I own MSD's the SD would not fit in with the rest and that would drive me nuts.

16. Nope! Though I’m sure the fact that the world my kiddos are set in has a dimension that warps your appearance the longer you stay contributes to that!
      I also just don’t like extremely realistic or anime sculpts so there’s less room for severe disjointedness in general.

I would also like to point out that my 70cm boy and 45cm girl translate in 1:3.4~ Scale to 7”7 and 4”11, both of which are real, human, somewhat normal, heights

17. My collection is pretty eclectic, I like having a few of all different sizes and aesthetics. I go through different phases where I'm more into one size than others but I really think I'd miss most of my band of misfits if I tried to make them all match.

18. Being at the beginning of my collection, I think sometimes I see really beautifully dolls but they don't necessarily fit what I would want to spend that much money on yet. So I think for me its less about matching aesthetic of whatever dolls I might have (just one bjd so far) and more about what I want to get first.

19. Hmm, not sure if I really considered proportions to that kind of extent. But I do tend to stick to a certain style of dolls so they have similar looks.
      I do tend to keep my SDs/MSDs/YoSDs around the same size. I guess it's mostly intentional because having a doll be a different size makes it harder to find clothes for them. That's my main factor in determining doll proportions.

20. Just go with what you like. It just depends on you and what you have planned for your dolls and your finances. But honestly as the years go by and you are have a more clear idea of what kind of BJD owner you are, it doesn't matter.

Between my husband and I, we have a Yo-SD, DearSDs, SD10s, SD13 girls, an SD13 boy, SDGr girl, ICONs, and two DDs from Volks. They all kind of mesh together well, but I do have to admit that the SD13 boy kind of towers over them even though he is appropriately proportional. He made me realize that I probably wouldn't want to invest in another SD13 boy or taller. However, that being said, for certain Grail dolls I would still consider them but they would sit prettily in their curios as display only types. I wouldn't mind another Yo-SD, but I've been really enjoying DearSDs and would definitely get more of them. I am looking into Luts' Honey Delfs and Baby Delfs as well as their Senior Delf boys (which I've always wanted but haven't gotten yet). They are roughly proportional to my Volks dolls so it wouldn't be too much of a variance. However, once we start adding Iplehouse dolls and all that then it'll start to get interesting.

We are at the point of our BJD collecting stage where we just get what we like and are not limited by company or sizes. The main limiting factors are money and space to house all these dolls. It'll always be about money and space when it comes to BJDs. Hahahaha.:chomp::sweat