1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How important is having your dolls all be proportionate to each other to you?

May 26, 2019

1. Not at this point. I have multiple shelves and put them together to work in harmony with the size they are. It's fun having a variety I have found many years in!

2. In general I enjoy seeing different sizes of dolls interacting. As for myself, I am currently planning on fitting all my coming dolls to a same storyline and take pictures of them together, so yes, in a sense being proportionate is important. I look both hight and head sizes. I don't like if one of the dolls in my crew would have super small or big head compared to others, so they would look "natural" with each other. I currently have/plan to get mostly SD 70cm+ dolls. However, I am planning to get MSD doll to be a child character etc., so I guess it would be still proportionate.

3. As I could not choose, I made 2 groups: the msd (minifee), for sewing, makeup, etc. And the little ones (pukipuki, Cocoriang ...), more for scenarios, preferably in nature. Sometimes the 2 groups meet, like in my profile picture.

4. Not at all for me, I have 1/12 all the way to 1/3 70cm! I love having the big dolls hold my 1/12's, it's such a cute setup!

5. I have small dolls: a mature 30cm fairy, and 2 mature msds, ordered 2 more + 1 head mature msds. So most are indeed msd girls.
      They all have different sized heads and bodies though! My souldoll has a smaller head and larger body compared to my doll leaves girl. And I'm guessing the raccoondoll will look very weird next to my other girls haha. I don't think I'll take a lot of pics of them all together since I don't have a lot of room and have only one doll stand D: But to me, my characters have different styles so they needed different sized heads/bodies, and I kinda enjoy the variety! I wanted my elf Siallu to be more mature looking so I went for raccoondoll for her, which is the most different in my small collection.
      I do plan on having a couple of SDs one day, which will make things weirder. But oh well! ^^

6. I originally thought this wouldn’t be important to me at all, but after several years of buying dolls, and selling dolls that didn’t work out, I’ve discovered that this is definitely a thing for me.

I have a preference for slim MSD dolls and I like them to all have ~*relatively*~ the same head size. There are some dolls I have on either end of the spectrum that push this idea a bit, but with wigs on, it’s not terribly noticeable and I’m fine with it.

I also have several YoSD sized dolls, but I like them to look like children compared to my 1/4 dolls, so I will probably stay away from mature tinies.

I did try an SD (a Feeple60, so not terribly large) but still found she was way too large and awkward to handle. And she just looked so out of place next to my other dolls.

So yeah, I guess that this is definitely something I find necessary in my collection. :sweat

#126 dxgirly, Jul 17, 2021
      Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    7. Yeah, but only for my SDs. I often use them to create references for drawing since it's easier for me to set up the dolls and take photos from a couple different perspectives/poses and pick out which one I like best. For that reason, it's really important that the dolls are the correct height for their characters. Usually I don't have a specific height in mind but more like a proportion - like, "x character needs to be taller than y but shorter than z" and I work from there. For my MSDs though, I really don't care as much.

8. Very much so yes at this moment though I could change my mind on that in the future. I want my dolls to be able to interact with each other without looking way off.

9. Heh heh...what a fun thread. Shows a lot about the interesting people who get into this hobby!

For me, well, my first Big Guys are currently being brought to life at Granado and I can't really answer this with complete honesty until they come in and I actually start working with them. Because I was shelling characters from my books, I bought based on the bodies that were right for the characters. Granado has a wide range of heights, and until I see them standing side by side, I'm not sure what I'm going to think of 70cm next to 74cm. It's mathematically a greater difference than I imagined while writing the books, but I think I can make it work.

Funny story that actually has to do with the topic. I imagined the boys as about the same height while writing the books. I wanted them to be equals in every sense. As I worked on the final edit of what could be the last book about them, I decided it was time to make good on the the 30 year promise of shelling them. So I went looking...and found the perfect body for Stephen: Granado's Adagio. Unfortunately, it's 75 cm, and the Vigor, an excellent body for Wesley, was 74cm. Wesley was adamant that THIS WOULD NOT DO!

Then Granado offered the Adagio in 70cm. Stephen didn't care, Wesley was delighted, but I was still torn. I really didn't want them to fall prey to what had become the stereotypical male/male physical pairing, stereotypes that had become popular well after I first began writing the story, and too many of which they already fell into. However, realistically, because Stephen is a gymnast and Wesley a rock-climber, it was OK for him to be a little shorter, but 4" is a lot.

And once I got my head past the stereotype and began examining my real objections to the height difference, I began to realize it had a different source. As I say, these two need to be real, equal partners, and after the last book, where Stephen really comes into his own...suddenly it didn't matter as much. Getting the right look for the bodies was the important thing. Beyond that, it was my job as the writer and photographer, to make it all work.

All of which leads to my feelings about my resin kids. Wiishu, a FL LTF established the "norm" for the role BJDs were to play in my life. He came to me out of the blue (he was a gift) and simply began reacting to the world around him. He was and is just a part of my life. He is what he is, and that's a given of our "story" together. Any other resin kids that come into the picture---whether they are new BJDs shelling characters in stories or just the old barbie doll types I once collected with the notion of shelling characters coming out of boxes---they are coming into Wiishu's reality, which is the real world, and they are, in return, simply what they are, whatever size and shape. For Wiishu, there's little difference between my big black furry companion, Shushu, and the tiny little plastic kittens other than the fact that he can curl up next to one, and hold the other in his hand. This wonderful character trait makes box openings, which Wiishu usually performs, some of the most fun photostories I do. That's when I really "meet" the dolls I ordered, even those shelling characters I'm extremely familiar with.

Because character, even resin-kid character, is not a static given. It's the dynamic gestalt of interactions with others.

It will be fun to see what happens when I get not only the Big Boy Stephen and Wesley, but their 30cm minime counterparts. I won't know until they all arrive in house. In general, with the dolls and their photoshories, I just do what I do when I'm writing a story: I throw them together and see what happens.

10. eheheheh no. Literally none of my dolls are proportionate to each other. Even the two from the same company.

The closest I have are my dollshe lady and my momonita girl. They have adult-ish proportions and the same size head, but momonita looks like a halfling due to their heigh difference.

[​IMG]

I'd rather have dolls of different styles so I can appreciate the full variety this hobby has to offer, yaknow? They're all lovely in their own ways. The next dolls I've had my eye on are the gorgeous Dream Valley dolls, which will doubtless look bizarre compared to every other doll in my collection. :3nodding:

11. Seeing as my on and off topic bjds range from about 5cm to about 65cm I have to say no. A lot of the time different sizes don't always interact but sometimes they do and proportions don't really bother me.
      [​IMG]
      My Doll Love Kaja - Vish with my Pukifee Ante - Tori and her little sister a Jun Planning Moss Rose - Moss