1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How important is poseability to you?

Jun 18, 2017

1. I used to worry a lot about it when I thought I would do more photostories, but it seems like my only deal breakers are "can't sit up unassisted in a chair" and "can't stand for beans" as these are the positions my dolls are most likely to be in these days...

"can't reach own face" is a borderline one and "must be able to slouch" depends on the character.

2. Beauty comes before poseability for me. I don't care how well a doll can hold a pose if it doesn't suit my aesthetics I'm not going to buy it. I don't ask too much of my dolls as far as posing goes, sitting, standing, lounging, holding things & hugging are about as far as I go anyway.

3. Poseability > aesthetics, but I'm super picky about bodies. If they're particularly unappealing I won't go for it, but finding one is a tricky balance between "fitting the character aesthetically" and "best posing possible".

4. In the five years I've been in the hobby, I've come to value poseability more than I did initially. I love my single jointed dolls and the characters I've developed for them, but the limit in the poses they can hold can be frustrating. Being double jointed is now a requirement for any doll on my wishlist.

#84 Leo Pheonix, Dec 18, 2018
      Last edited: May 11, 2019
    5. I like to take pictures when I can, so posing is pretty important to me... but it's not a deal breaker. Most of mine can be a bit of a bear to pose, but if I'm careful, I can usually get something good out of them.

6. I had the opinion that it isn't that important but after getting a doll who can't do much now I think it's important, but I don't really mind it if the doll can't pose well if that's how they turn out ,however ,if given the choice I would choose good poseability

#86 Arletstar, Dec 20, 2018
      Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
    7. My thoughts on this have changed a lot recently, and I think it comes down to a lot of factors, with posing just part of it. I feel like it's more important to me the larger or more realistic the doll becomes. At the same time, it doesn't so much matter to me if a doll can't do EVERY POSE EVER, if the poses it can do look natural and effortless.

8. I think my dolls should pose well. It’s annoying if they don’t hold certain poses even after giving them restringing and sueding. I will say I’m not too picky about how much they pose I just want them to stand and move their arms a bit. My feeple does all that but her joint is a bit finicky and doesn’t like to pop into the right position while the other arm does it just fine. While my venitu is kind a heavy in odd places and his arms just sit like an L() L which I need to fix haha he won’t hold them straight. However as long as they can do a little I think it’s good enough. My angelphilia is wonderful at pairing though.

9. After having the chance to get my hands on a couple of different bodies now, I've found that the question is more complicated than a thought. I still value posebility, but I've sacrificed a little for aesthetic. And there are different aspects of it. Holding a pose, being easy to pose, and being able to do lots of poses are three different things, and I have bodies that exemplify one of those at the expense of another. Really, every body has its own quirks, it all depends on what a person is willing to put up with for a doll and/or their character.

So far, I've found that an important part of posebility is figuring those quirks out and how to work with them (like finally figuring out that my boy actually can sit unaided, as long as he has a slouch). And sueding never hurts.

10. Poseability is one of my top important. With that said, one of my favorite dolls that I own is a single jointed doll (luts dark elf soo) and I can't do much with her as far as posing goes. It's a little maddening. So a body that is a good poser and also able to stand is a big must for me.

11. It's important, but not on the first place for me.

12. Posability is very important for me. But If I don't like the aesthetics, it can be a good poser, I won't buy it.

13. I'm not huge into photography, I'm more into crafting and sewing for my dolls, so posing isn't particularly important to me. That being said, my first and second dolls are both single jointed and I'm going to avoid that moving forward. I don't need a lot but it turns out I'd like them to be able to at least kind of reach their own faces.

14. The poseability of bjd’s was a big factor that drew me to the hobby. I’ve collected Blythe’s for years and they can’t really pose, so it’s opened up a whole new world of photo opportunities. I do think the overall look of a doll is my top priority though and if I loved a doll who was a bad poser, I’d probably buy her still.

15. Its not a deal breaker for me as I have a couple that don't pose too well however its a bonus if they do as I like to do photo shoots with them

16. Important, but if I really like body sculpt, I can buy dolls with few joints.

17. To me it is very important because I love photographing my dolls, and coming from a fashion and dance background I like to be able to put them in all these poses =P For example, single hip joints are sort of a turn down for me, even though my doll she boys, both with single hip joints, are still able to bring their knees up if I remove the leg from the socket.
      However, I am not fan of shoulder joints. I think the technical aspect of them is amazing and I actually enjoy some of the poses they can give, but I don't enjoy the cuts on the doll because they are to close to the face. I think there is a balance but I do enjoy a lot of articulation =)

18. Articulation is probably the most important factor to me. An ugly sculpt can be covered with clothing, or disguised with a very good faceup, but you cant fake jointing. Highly articulated dolls are just more fun to play with. I also collect off topic dolls, and articulation is an important factor there too. I think one of the reasons Monster High was as popular as it was, was because of their novel articulation. You could pose your dolls, and have them sit realistically at chairs, for example, something you couldn't do with Barbies.

So yes, articulation. It's more fun to pose dolls that can pose, and they look less stiff and artificial in photographs

19. It's something I heavily appreciate, but I also think that the face is by far the most important part of a doll to me, so if I saw a doll that wasn't fantastic at posing but had a gorgeous face, I'd probably still get it. That being said, if it was a REALLY awful poser, I'd see if I could just get the head and then buy a different body.

20. I used to be way more into posing than I am now. I preferred 3-part or multi-part torsos, double joints, etc. The more joints, the better. Aesthetics came second.

Now, I put more emphasis on aesthetics. I find I prefer 2-part torsos (with the joint just under the breasts/pecs so it's more or less seamless), and while I prefer double joints for their versatility, I want them to have hidden peanuts rather than ones that are part of the sculpt. I value steadiness and natural poses over sheer variety of poses. It's been interesting to look back at what I used to prefer as opposed to now.

That being said, a doll that has too limited in pose range or cannot hold a pose does not stay long in my home. If I can't find a fix for it, the doll (or body) goes. Aesthetics only go so far. I still want to take my dolls out and play with them, and if I can't do that without raising my blood pressure from sheer frustration, then what even is the point?

At the end of the day, I suppose I'd favor function over form, as I have an old Dikadoll body that I adore because it is hands down the best posing doll I've ever owned. But then, I also have an Iplehouse FID and the Doll in Mind Sweet body, so clearly I straddle the fence. As always.