1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How important is poseability to you?

Jun 18, 2017

1. Not that important for me personally as I'm a type of person who puts aesthetic on the first place and everything else on the second. Sitting and standing properly are important even for me though. Also I now avoid buying dolls with single-jointed limbs as much as possible (my first doll has such a body though and it's not fun at all tbh. Wiring helps quite a lot tho, but then there are holes which are to be covered so no shorts/short sleeved shirts...)
      Anyway, if the doll's poseability is good it's a very pleasant bonus to me. Haven't happened to me yet but I guess it's not bad to have a little hope :з

2. Poseability is pretty important, but I would sacrifice it to an aesthetically pleasing design any day. Some of my favorite bodies are single-jointed and don't compare to today's BJD standard, but they look so good to me! It may sound odd, but I prefer the look of single-jointed BJDs even if though it'd be impossible to see the joints under the clothes.

3. Interesting thread. For some time now i am trying to create my own figures and bjd's. At first i went all out on poseability but looking back on a figure i did.. Well i could only see the big gaps and everything. So i moved to the other side and now its all about aesthetics... BUT.. Its all about finding the balance between the two tho.
      Also for me a figure must able to stand on his/her own feet and be able to sit down as well. Oh and most important of all, look alive doing it :)

4. I can definitely say I find poseability very important. I want a dynamic doll not a static one. Also this helps me pull clothes on without having to decapitate my doll! Also I tend to think that is what make bjd's stand out in the field of collectable dolls.

5. I am not super concerned with poseability. As long as a doll can do the basics; sit, stand, lay down and move their arms and head in a simple variety of poses they are just fine in this house (although I really do appreciate double-jointed elbows).
      I never dress my dolls in any way that would show their torso but I really love solid-torso bodies so I'd go with one of those over better posing bodies with multiple joints.

6. To me I think it is important becoz that’s what define BJDs
      If they can’t post it is just a figure

though for plastic figures I don’t demand much becoz it always sits in the shelf

7. I used to think i didn't care - i had (and still have) a pair of abs plastic dolls that are awful posers, but that i still adore

but THEN i got my first 'real' resin bjd. She's so easy to pose! bad poseability isn't a deal breaker, but i care about it much more now

8. I definitely started to care once I realized the limitations of my first doll, when I tried to pose him in (what I think) are fairly simple poses. I cared so much so- that I ordered him a double jointed body last month lol
      I think I wouldn't have minded as much if I had bought him just to stand or sit, but I started taking pictures of my dolls, and his limitations are grating to say the least.

9. I think I might've gotten spoiled on Pullip/Obitsu ABS body poseabilty, as it's given me this expectation of competent poseability at the very least. I like my crew to at the very least be capable of basic posture and positions, but much prefer them to be able to accomplish a lot of different poses. So the more flexible and poseable, the better.

It's especially important for my more acrobatic or flexible/active OCs, as they need that flexibility to achieve more poses for a variety of different things. Like in Nira's case (she's on the FBG Impl Star body)—she needs to be able to not only be flexible to participate in athletics along with her teammates, she also needs the ability to take on different poses when she chooses to show off for the camera (or for her admirers and her romantic partner). The same applies for several of my other shelled OCs/existing characters.

So, yeah—the amount of poseabilty is going to be dependent on the shelled character, but my expectation is that they should have some competent poseability if I'm going to bother picking them up.

10. Good poseability is more like the icing on top to me. The sculpt/body primarily has to look good. I've seen some dolls that look like they pose really well, but they have weird proportions (to me, anyway), or sometimes those extra joints just don't look good.

11. Posing is one of my highest priorities. Even if I really like a sculpt, if the posing is meh... I generally pass. But I’m not going to buy a doll just because it has great posing either.

12. I care about poseability a little, because I do like taking pictures of them. As long it can stand by itself and move some joints with no issue it's fine to me.

13. I care about possibility too, because I love to pose my dolls a lot for pictures!
      But if a doll I really like is not a great poser, it won't stop me from buying it :XD: The sculpt is what make me buy a doll, if she's a great poser, it's just a great bonus! :)

14. I feel like as someone who likes bigger dolls, poseability is more important to me... I'm already dealing with a heavy doll, so I would prefer it to be as easy to handle as possible.

15. posability is really important to me. i love photographing toys and the items i make for them. being able to pose a doll opens up so many new opportunities for pictures and scenes. it is really what makes them worth the high price tag, for me personally.

16. Posability is one of the main things I've been drawn to in bodies. There are a few exceptions where the bodies are just so far outside my aesthetic that even the posability of them haven't swayed me to like them. The main thing that drew me to the hobby is the ability to actually pose the dolls, instead of being stuck with heavily stereotyped poses with the plastic dolls I grew up with.

17. I need to be able to make my dolls do acrobatics lol
      I’m just kidding. But one of the main reasons I got into BJD is the photography. Can’t do much with a stand still no movement doll. I’ve gone so far as to look for jointed feet lol

18. I prefer a doll to have good poseability for display reasons. I want my dolls to sit in natural poses rather than looking all stiff on the shelf. If I was absolutely in love with a sculpt and it had poor poseability, though, I would probably be willing to make an exception. I’d rather put some extra work into sueding the joints and get a sculpt I love rather than settle for something with better poseability out of the box.

19. Honestly, it's not that important to me. Good poseability is always a plus, but I also care a lot about visuals and would compromise on poseability for a more aesthetically appealing body. I do prefer double jointed bodies but even then, that's a rule I've bent and am willing to bend again for the right dolls.

20. It’s a big deal for me, the posing & greater articulation is what attracted me to BJD's.