1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How long before you gave in?

Apr 12, 2009

1. I first found out what BJDs were in december 2007 and ordered my first doll in december 2008, so it's been almost exactly one year :lol: And I joined DOA after I had ordered my boy, but I don't think you could call me an active member... I read a lot but rarely write XDDD

2. I first found out about BJDs back in 2004-05 and fell in absolute love. But they were too expensive so I never seriously thought about getting one...then I lurked around DOA for a year or two...and I finally ordered by first doll several weeks ago. XD...It was a very veryyy long wait but all the research was worth it.

3. I found out about bjd last summer from FallenEverdark she and I are both Penny Arcade Expo Enforcers and she was telling people about her incoming Beryl, Aquamarine on IRC and they were for the most part not "getting it" but I was curious. I was a porcelain doll collector when I was younger and my sister is a Barbie collector so I had a framework to put the idea in. I was immediately fascinated and kept going back and looking at the sites every month or so. Apparently my husband almost got me the doll I had been mooning over for Christmas but decided not to in the end X)

I joined DoA the day I ordered my doll a month ago, although I had been looking at the public areas before that. I actively read the forum but don't always post a lot. I think when my girl gets here I might post more 8) I also just ordered a second doll before my first even arrived. So now I am waiting for a Bobobie Ophelia AND a Soom Violet (with evil parts he he he!)

4. Found out about it in 2005 I think, but no mold really spoke to me.
      Then I stumbled upon my dream doll and ordered it in 2007.
      I was hangin' around DOA since 2006, but only as a guest, after my doll arrived I finally joined the forum.

5. I've known about them since November 2007 and got my first one in May 2008 (nearly a year from now! :D) I was active and doll-less on DoA for around 2 weeks till I recieved my doll at the beginning of May. And then, my doll family proceed to explode in number. ^^;

6. 2, maybe 3 months between the time I found out about them and the time I ordered my first. But before I found out about them I already had a load of money saved up in the bank otherwise it would've taken much longer to get him. ^^ (Specially since I'm just a poor student with no income! :XD:)

7. Well I found out about BJD around 2004 when a former friend had a volks msd. He was so cute I fell in love. I got my 1st doll about 6 months later and join doa with in another 2 months.

8. I found out about BJDs about a year and a half before I got one, and got a BJD 6 months after I joined DOA.

9. umm well i gave in about a day in but i found them in say jan and i had to wait until june till i had the money(i had already spendt chrismas money! and we were moving house!)

10. Hrm. I'd seen them around online for several years, and first saw a few in person about a year ago. I was never really a big doll person, though, and the ones I'd seen around were mostly more stylized and/or childish sculpts that didn't really grab me: I thought they were pretty enough and appreciated the craftsmanship involved, but I had no desire to own one for myself. But at some point last year a couple of online friends who don't normally post much about dolly stuff happened to have a brief, glowing discussion of their Iplehouse boys, which piqued my curiosity enough to look up the site to see what all the fuss was about...and I was absolutely mesmerized by their more mature/realistic sculpts and range of lush darker skin tones. I fell utterly in love with a LE Cocori, and finally a year later I decided that if I was still sighing over her after all this time, I might as well get her before the LE ran out...

I didn't join DOA until after I placed that order last month, but of course I didn't have a doll in hand yet -- I'm still waiting for her! :...( But I did pick up a tiny a few weeks later from a domestic vendor, so I'm no longer doll-less and can participate in more things here.

11. It was a long time. Deciding to commit to a doll that expensive was a bit decision. It seems strangely easy these days.....

12. I bought my first doll about a month after I found out about BJDs. Luckily, I had been lots saving money for no apparent purpose. I didn't join DoA until maybe two weeks of waiting.

13. I've been a member for a year now ..i guess...:sweat
      and loved BJD's for 3 years...and still doll-less...
      hating it but working hard to convince my parents to let me buy one...
      saying I'm just 16 and such :?

14. I saw BJD's in maybe early October, thought they were cool and beautiful but out of my league as far as price. A couple weeks later I was still thinking about them and interested, so I joined DoA so I could see more of them and learn more. Once I started seeing the not-quite-so-expensive ones, I decided to save up. I already had some money saved up, so it didn't take as long as I'd thought. My first doll came home December 15, and they quickly began to multiply.

It's almost scary how quickly I went from "OMG these are all so super expensive!" to "OMG, only $300 for that doll!?!? That's a steal!"

15. Five years. I first learned about them in 2003, but didn't purchase a doll until last year, 2008.

I'm glad I waited because I was really a little too young in '03 and didn't have the money to handle this hobby.

Edit: Oh, and the other reason was that I was really, really indecisive, and kept jumping in about out of being interested in bjds period, not to mention various infatuations with dozens of molds that I would later become disenchanted with.

I'm happy with my choices now. ^_^

16. Not very long...i found out about them in april 2007, i really liked them so i started saving and getting info from here and some uk bjd sites..It didnt take me long to have enough for my first doll E-an from DoD....she arrived in the may of 07...lol Now i have 8 dolls at home and one on layaway.:fangirl:

17. I had to hold out for about five years! I first caught on with Cassiel's boys and Leechy's Ryo she used to have, then I joined the DoA Yahoo group that moved to here. I bought my first head in December and ordered my first full doll last month.

18. I joined about a week after I ordered my first doll I think. I didn't exactly know about the place until I started asking the friend who showed me these dolls multiple questions, which made her lead me here.

19. Well, I discovered BJDs at the beginning of 2007 but the price was enough for me to cringe and think that it just wasn't meant to be. I actually tried to forget about them, because at that point I was having money problems and have a terrible habit of impulsive buying - I just couldn't afford this hobby. However, I just couldn't escape the image of one of my characters as a doll (this one particular character), and so I searched for the right doll and in Jan 2009, I bought her.

I've never looked back and want to expand my little family lol

20. I found out about them about 3 or 4 years ago? But it wasn't until I met people who actually owned them and actually got to play with them and ask some questions did I really get interested.

About a month after I went to my first meet, I started looking around, and I ordered my first doll about 3 months ago. She should be getting here either tomorrow or Tuesday :)