1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How long before you gave in?

Apr 12, 2009

1. I first found out about BJDs in March 2008. I saw hiritai's Hayden on deviantart and i was awstruck. I fell in love with the dolls. I kinda stopped looking at BJDs for a while and then started looking at them again around Sept 2008 but they were so expensive that i was very hesitant about buying one so i started with volks 1/6 dollfies first and then i decided to order my Havid in early January 2009. And ever since i've been addicted and trying to find extra spending money. XD

I joined DoA as soon as the joining restriction thing back in January was lifted, so i was doll-less for about a month, and i wasn't very active.

The wierd thing is that i never really liked dolls but i love BJDs.

2. I found BJDs about... 2 years ago, give or take a little. I was pretty shocked at the price, though, so I kinda pushed them to the back of my mind. But they kept coming back xD I finally decided that they were worth it, and I wanted one ohhh so badly. So about a year after that, here I am waiting for my first boy to arrive! ^_^

3. I found out about ABJDs in 2000 when the only dolls available were Volks Four Sisters: Nana Kira, Sara & Megu, Nono, Ian and the Unoss girls. I didn't buy one until 2005 when there was starting to be a bit more variety. I'd nearly caved earlier when I saw the first release of Volks Cecil but didn't actually jump in until I saw Dollshe's Bermann.

I didn't join DoA until decided to buy a doll.

4. I think that's actually very common with Asian dolls. For some reason, loads of people who didn't use to like dolls as kids "turn around" and change as soon as they get into Pullips, Obitsu, or BJDs.

5. I saw a couple dolls that Himeko showed me, and a couple weeks later I was seriously looking at dolls. About a week later I joined DoA and about a month after that I'm saving for my first X_X

6. Heeee... xDD

Half an hour after looking at it, I gave in and I have started saving up ferociously for it. Still don't have him, which makes me terribly sad, but I've been an active DoA member otherwise. c: I just can't participate in all those fun dolly games and whatnot that need dollies. D;

But joining DoA has given me a bigger drive to raise money for him. It's actually really nice to see my percentage meter grow. <3 =w=

7. When I joined this forum, I started to save for my first doll. But after like 2 months I wasn't motivated o_o

Then in Jan 08 I started to seriously save and want one~ I decided on a different doll mould and then a few months later I got my first doll :)

8. First SAW dolls in May 08? Didn't give them a second look and said no way in hell

Saw Ari-chan's AS Cain...deathly afraid of him

Met/Held Ari-chan's Cain....wanted to take him home

Got Mei-Lien (BBB Ophelia) for my birthday in November early December...
      So that was the time frame of 8 months? XD

Now....well I'm paying off a DZ Yuu XD Funny how less than a year you're about $1000 into the hobby

9. I came across them back in 2005 but at that time we were barely and I do mean barely making ends meet so there was no way I could spend the equilavent of 2 months house payments on a doll!

I decided last winter to look around a bit and discovered that new companies had emerged since then with lower prices and so I jumped and bought my first boy. I joined DoA two days after his arrival because I wanted to find good prices on clothes and accessories for him.

10. I actually do not remember the exact date however, I came across volkusa's website some how randomly searching the vast expanse of interwebs. I too was put off by the prices and thought I'd never own a doll. I did join DOA before owning a doll but do not recall how long ago that was either. I've been here awhile lol. I've had my first doll for 3 years. I'd say it was a good 2-3, possibly even 4 years before that that I became fascinated with the hobby. It was my first year back here in PA, and ive been here like 7 years now. So i'm guessing it was like 2002 or 2003 when I first discovered the hobby and like 2006 or 07 when I got my first doll.

11. I first found bjds around 2003/2004. Joined DOA May of '05 and bought my first doll in June, been hooked ever since. :)

12. I was introduced to BJDs in about the middle of November.
      I spent the next couple of weeks searching for the perfect one, because I knew I wanted a doll. I just didn't know who I wanted first.
      ...And Tender Elf Sha was released.
      As soon as that happened- I begged my parents. A few weeks later, they ordered him for me for Christmas. I'm not sure exactly how long it was between seeing him and ordering him, but if I had the money- he would have been ordered pretty much the day I saw him. xD
      I was pretty active on the forums from the beginning. I found out everything I could about BJDs, then hung out in the waiting room and on the boards for the months that followed~ ^-^

13. I had seen some Volks girls at anime conventions in the past, but wasn't really that impressed. This winter, my girlfriend decided to get a Souldoll Tae, and I thought he was absolutely gorgeous, but I still wasn't sold because of the pricetag. As I started looking at more dolls though I became more interested and decided to join DOA. Well, once I got access to the marketplace I saw a doll I just couldn't resist and now I'm hooked :sweat So I really only resisted temptation for what, 5 months? :doh

14. I knew about BJD from anime conventions years ago.

After I decided I seriously wanted one, I joined the forum, and a month or so later I ordered Razidae. I like to research a bit obsessively before I buy. :XD:

15. I saw BJDs years ago on the old Cissy group when you still had to use a buying service to get them & thought they were the most hideous things I's ever seen. Swore none of those little aliens would ever be part of my doll collection. Then a few years later a friend brought her tan Lishe elf to our Fashion Doll Club meeting & she was much more intereresing. Still It took me about a year after first seeing her dolls & playing with them before I took the plunge & I've never looked back since. I think it's now close to 5 years since I started collecting.

I never even found out about DoA until after I had my first doll. My first exposer to BJD boards was from Yahoo groups & then ZoZ.

16. i just stumbled across the DoD website. i had no idea what they were for. it was hours...no, maybe minutes before i gave in. i don't recall. i was only doll-less for almost two months because DoD were taking their time delivering :lol:

i don't even remember why i got into this hobby in the first place :?

17. It's been quite some time since I've known about this hobby, but I have yet to cave in and buy a doll myself. I'm not really that active here on DOA (which is probably really obvious by looking at my stats <.<) but I do come in a browse through peoples pictures a lot. I just need to start posting more often.

And I agree with you on how everyone here is really nice even if you're still saving up for your first doll, that's something I'm extremely grateful for.

18. A few years! I was definitely not in any financial state to be spending money on a hobby, and so avoided every aspect of the doll community and just occasionally treated myself by browsing the Luts website! XD I remember staring, for hours, at pictures of Hound and El. I thought these dolls were actually a little intimidating because they were so beautiful... in a way, their beauty put me off as I couldn't imagine owning something so ... palpably beautiful? I'm not sure how to put it into words.

I did not give in and buy a doll until I finally "found" the one doll that I knew I wanted to own. Then there was no turning back ;) I love her - and my other dolls - more and more every day!

19. Well I0ve know about them for a year or so, first company I knew was also Luts, then I started searching more about them in september or october can't remember now lol.
      I still am saving for mine and its gonna take a long long time for me to get my first one so I'll just keep crawling here wenever I can.
      I was more active in the asian artist part of the forum but sicne they closed it I started visiting doa less and less, that part of the forum was my favorite and were I was more active and I still don't get why they closed it, couz seriouslly the explenation of the mods makes no sense at all to me. and they opened another forum about it the joint I know, but it has so much brocracy for u to join and to post and see posts that its completly discuraging to go there. I am at a point that if it wasn't for my friends pm and wanting to respnd to them and stuff I would rarelly come.

20. I discovered BJDs in 2005, but didn't buy my first until a year later in March 2006. I admit I held off buying a BJD because of the cost. But, after a year of longing, I finally caved-in when I saw Doll in Mind's Persia. It was love at first sight. I thought, 'Well, I'll just buy ONE'. (...famous last words...)

I joined DOA shortly after getting my Persia. But, because I was only a lurker, my account was deleted, and I rejoined in Jan 2007.