1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How Long Before You Named Them / The Importance of Naming

Jun 15, 2008

1. Wellp, I have been in this hobby for over 5 years now, and only recently I actually came up with a 'system' to name my dolls!
      I decided to name all my (future) dolls after cloth and fabrics, and only now I feel like I finally have it right.
      My first boy I named Cotton just because I wanted a a 'non-people/human' name, and my cute pink boy reminded me of cotton candy.
      He's my absolute favorite, and the head of my dolly household, so it suits that every name is in some way derived from or inspired by the concept of his name Cotton.

I have gone though a lot of molds myself, also having bonding trouble due to naming issues, but with my new system I feel it's much easier to name my future dolls, just because I have a list (of all fabric names) now from which the doll itself chooses his/her name. Narrows down the choices so it's easier.

2. I've been thinking about this recently! To follow up on what l33tprincess said . . . the dolls I've had trouble naming (either it took me a long time to settle on a name, or the name I chose never quite seemed to "fit") are all dolls I've eventually sold. In my case, I think naming a doll quickly and easily is a sign that the doll really suits me, and is likely to stick around long-term.

Though, having said that, I have two dolls who refuse to be named, and they definitely aren't going anywhere. They'll still be Oneechan and Otouto-kun when the undertaker puts them in my coffin. ;) So much for my theory, huh?

Besides, I know plenty of BJD owners who always use the original mold name for their dolls, and are happy as larks.

Honestly, it isn't something to worry about--these dolls should be fun, not a cause of stress! Listen to what your instincts are telling you. If the mold name feels right when you use it, go ahead and use it. If maybe, deep down, you suspect this isn't the right doll for you, well, there's nothing wrong with that, either.

3. Some I named shortly after they arrived, others while I was waiting for them to be shipped. Usually I just look at the doll and I get this feeling whether the name should be short or long, should it sound harsh or soft, if it should have a special meaning, if it should be human or "made-up", sometimes even which letter it should start with. Then if no good names come up in my head, I go to www.behindthename.com, run all kinds of searches and "taste" the candidate names - write them, say them, "try" them on the doll. There's always one that would feel right :)

4. I didn't have a name for my doll until just recently, and I got him in March.

I don't know that it really matters that much. It's better to wait and see what you want to do with him/her before you just come up with a name. Of course, if you ever want to change it, that doesn't matter, either. :P

I say just pick something you like that seems like it fits. I ended up naming mine Jacob because he looks a little like one of my comic book characters.

5. Outside of the prize head twins everyone is thought of and named before I even buy. I usually start out with a character then search for a doll to match.

6. my doll hasn't arrived yet but i'm trying to name her and think of who she'll be. i've come up with 3 names, Lilith, Lenore and Victoria. and i still can't decide which is which.

my friend said that i'll only be able to name her once i hold her. in the meantime, i call her Lenore.

7. Sometimes I think of names before they arrive, sometimes right after, sometimes I name them, then change their name later. I have a few I haven't named at all yet. I guess I just like to wait until I have the perfect one for me. I don't think it matters to anyone, not even me, how soon it happens.

8. There are names I go back to often for characters for RPGs, or art, or what-have-you, and usually one will fit for just about anything. The dolls on order (or planned to order) fit into various character types from the RPG world I cooked up (or half-baked, depending on one's perspective) years ago, so some I had various characters planned for before ordering. There have been a few pre-arrival switches, but when the girls that have arrived made it to the doorstep, their names had been picked, and they really seemed to breathe life into them right away.

9. Take your time to find a name for your boy! Don't rush just because you think he needs a name; you'll know when you've found the right one. ;)

I've had a pretty good run with naming my dolls; most choose their names pretty soon after arriving home, usually after I've finished their faceup. I've got a few that had their names picked for them before they arrived though. Thankfully, those names fit. But with Rome (my Volks Tony), he went through 4 name changes since I got him nearly a year ago before it was right. :XD:

10. Sometimes I will have a name all set for them, then they show up and tell me how wrong I was. Others come to me as soon as I see them dressed and with wig on. Others take time to come out of their shell and tell me. The longest I think I wrestled with a name was 1 week. But then sold him and he got a whole new name, so it can affect the bonding or not. I find if you have a theme to your names it makes it so much easier to find a good one.
      Think of what you really like and names will come flooding to you.

11. I'm currently torn between two names for my boy. -_- I get the feeling when I settle on one, he'll want something completely different. 8D

12. I like this idea. Unique but makes one think of something soft or comfortable. Great Idea!

13. Frequently I wait until the doll arrives, unless he or she has a pre-planned character. Sometimes I give a temporary nickname, until I decide on something that will stick. Sometimes it takes me a long time (I have a MNF Shiwoo girl here that I have had since January and she is still going by a nickname.) And I am also thinking about renaming my first doll, since his original name never really suited him.:doh

14. I had my boy for a few weeks before I named him. I just wanted to get to know him so I could pick a name that would suit perfectly. : D

15. I wouldn't worry too much. I have a doll here (thats been around since January too) that has no real name yet. I keep trying to pick one and they never seem right.
      There are a few dolls on DoA that have remained nameless for a year or longer (some still are).
      Another idea would be to name him based on what you refer to him by. Do you call him my boy, my doll, his sculp name, etc?
      Take part of what you refer to him as, change it a little, and maybe thats his name?

16. When my saving for a BJD first started, I pulled out a note book to write down all things to do with them...

sites, costs, ect.

Names soon took up a page of that lol. I have a bunch of names I love, and when he arrives, hopefully he'll want the one I pre-chose from that list for him...one can only hope...*sigh*

17. This isn't a problem for me really except for when Rhiannon came. I have a list of characters I want to turn into dolls so I look to see how well a mold fits my mental image of how they would look in doll form. Now this wasn't the case with Rhiannon. Her character was never planned to be a BJD. I just fell in love with the Shoyo headmold, bought her, and thought "oh crap she doesn't have a name!" So it took me awhile going through all of the characters I have and for some reason Rhiannon popped into my head. Now I did my best to buy her things to fit her character and the eyes is what did it. So it took me a few hours after purchasing her to come up with a name.

Right now I'm getting to that point again as I had a horrible impulse buy XD with a Volks Yo-SD Hinaichigo and she has no name other than her mold name. I never had plans for a Yo-SD sized doll so getting this to work is gonna take a bit of effort on my part. But I'm not worried as I just need a chance to sit down and go over names from my name book when she comes home and hopefully one will pop out.

18. Mine are all named before they ever arrive. When a doll grabs me and won't let go, I then decide how that doll will fit in with my resin crew. It helps that I have a theme - all are named after gods and goddesses. But, I carefully research what their name will be based on characteristics of the sculpt. I've purchased a fair number of my dolls on layaway so much of their name and character have developed before they ever arrive.

Everyone has given great suggestions for coming up with names. If you're still having problems, trying sanding and/or blushing your doll, or something that will help you bond. The name will come to you.

19. I named my boy before he even arrived since I had a character in mind. He became definitely Saif when I opened the box.

It feels weird to go nameless... or like... I can't refer to my doll... well, I could probably use mold name, but I guess that doesn't feel very personal to me.

20. It depends on where I got them, it seems...

All three dolls bought from the companies directly have been named from just looking at their pictures on the websites. Lillith (DM Suntan Asha), Ramsay (MNF Tanned El) and Keith (MNF Shiwoo) were all named this way. Oddly enough, they've liked the names pre-chosen for them.

The two I've bought from the marketplace received their names immediately upon opening the box. Mikail (DOC Zen) and Jessie (Mythdoll Little Leroi) popped out of their boxes announcing who they were. :)