1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How Long Before You Named Them / The Importance of Naming

Jun 15, 2008

1. As soon as I see the doll, usually the name just floats into my mind. There are two dolls that I decided on their names before I even met them too. My DZ Junkyspot X Aleicester exclusive took longer though, about a week I think, but I think that was because he seemed to come as an already formed character.

2. I always have the name, personality, history, etc etc etc all planned out before I get the doll. I usually leave clothing till last cause I dont know if what I make will fit them. ^^

3. I changed my first dolls name a few times. He was going to be Theo but that didn't suit so then it was Dorian..nope and then Aranel...nope. One massive character overhaul and now I'm happy with his name Jessen. Don't worry about getting the perfect first name straight away :)

4. Mine are always named after they get here. After they start to develop a look..... But most of the time, I look in the name book and find something strange LOL

5. Before I got Lenore, I had decided (firmly) to name her Ligeia. But then she arrived and the name just didn't fit her. I hesitantly thought about Lenore (another name from E.A. Poe), and it seemed like she loved it. Maybe that makes me crazy; I don't know. But I do think that, to some extent, the doll chooses the name.

6. It has depended for me. With MNF Central, it's been quite a variance. My first girl (Klae) I knew her name when I ordered her, because she was a character I'd had for a long time. My first boy I likewise knew because he was from the same universe as Klae. But I bought another girl head in the interim and I had NO idea who she was. Gradually, she gave me a hint at a name but no idea about personality. It wasn't until I decided to order another girl doll (with no name but a vague idea about personality) that I realized who the first nameless girl was, how everything would fit together, and what additional dolls I needed to complete the group. I've tried to pick names with significance for them, if they were Japanese names I've picked the exact kanji for their full names based on meaning and interpretation (and occasionally for puns and private jokes).

My SDs are a different story. All of them (so far) are based on existing characters, so I've known the names long before I even have chosen sculpts for them.

All that matters, really, is what works for you. It's definitely possible to still bond when you're only referring to the doll as 'the [sculpt]' or 'my boy/girl'.

7. Lily went for a few months without a real name. I kept trying random names and they never fit - I ended up just referring to her by a pet name until I figured out her current name. And who knows, this name may not last long either if I find another that fits better!

8. I name my dolls before they arrive, I think up their personality and then find a name that will fit their face, clothes and character. Just try to think what he's like and maybe go on a baby name site, see if any of the names suit his face. It will come, he'll let you know when he likes it. :) believe me.
      http://www.20000-names.com is a great site if you get stuck.

9. My dolls are all representations of characters I've had for years (except for one, and I had to sell him because I couldn't hold any interest in him). They're named long before I choose a mold.

When I'm naming characters I end up going through baby names sites until I find one that sounds right. You can search for specific ethnicities if you like certain kinds of names.

10. So far all of my kids have been named before arrival, though I was still unsure as to Shoko's when I first ordered her (from an agent, so she arrived like a week later). At the moment I'm saving for a Shushu (hopefully I'll be able to order by the end of August) and I've still got no clue what I'm going to name her. I've been trying to put a name to her and just can't so far. I think having her in my hands once she gets her face-up and everything that will make her who I'm imagining will help though.

11. Can't remember if it was three weeks or a month, but I was burnt out when I received my Bobobie Erin and so she was just "the Erin" for quite a long time, and it was another DOA member who ended up naming her, since she said "Oh, she looks like Claudia from Interview [with the Vampire]!" And that was it, I decided it was a nice name and then she eventually became the character.

I took suggestions from the room for my lilac Hanyuu when I got her too, since she wasn't "speaking" to me about it, but Phoebe Natasha ended up working great, lol. Same with my CH Mars girl, because I had a couple of options but didn't know which one to pick, so I asked my friends and they helped me decide on Emmaline. Everyone else had their names picked out before they came to me.

There's no way to say what's right, wrong, normal, or otherwise. Find the name in your own time. :)

12. I usually name my dolls before I buy them ^^ I like to have a name to call them by when I'm waiting for them XD Otherwise, I can't see the character ^^U
      However, when I bought my Schulze, it was just an impulse, so I ended having a doll without a name nor a story for 5~6 months... but finally he "told" me who he was XD
      Now I can't have a doll on my WL if I'm not 90-100% sure of the character XD

13. The longest my any of my dolls have gone without a name is about 3 days.
      It took my forever to settle on a name for Tighe. I went on a bunch of baby name web sites and made a long list of names I liked. Then I went down the list and said the names allowed while looking at his face and crossed off the ones that didn't work. Through the process of elimination, I ended up with Tighe and I think It really suits him well :)

14. Romeo was named within the week before I got him.
      Romeo's sister Tanya was named not long after that... but I still don't expect to get her for a long time. (She was named because I was playing Romeo in The Sims 2 and needed to name his sister quick when she was born, and it stuck)
      Sprocket was named sometime during the 2 month wait for him, he was named by my boyfriend.
      Kaien was named shortly after getting Sprocket, but before I had considered buying the doll yet. He was named using Japanese characters that meant cool things, and sounded good together.
      Clover was named during the wait for her to ship... but I wasn't "set" until she arrived.

My other doll, however, was created in one mold, then named, then unnamed, then remolded, and still not named after I've had him for 2 months in his current form. Hopefully I'll be able to name him after I get him painted.

However, I think that his lack of name actually does have an effect on the bonding issue... I don't really feel attached to him like I do for the others. I hope that settling on a name will help this.

15. I don't have mine yet(2 weeks) but Ive alread picked 2 names, ill pick one of them when she arives, for me(my opinion) I think having a name helps you bond with it, its like "hi ----- um doll" or this is ......" kinda thing, I think it will take you as long as you want, some people take a while before naming things,(dolls, children) somepeople like to pick the perfect name, and dont want to take it lightly, I started thinking of names the day I ordered mine, but Ive had my future kids names picked out since I was 8 and Im 21 now... so I think its all in the person. If your having trouble maybe think of a favorite movie or anime, or go to baby name sites, and just surf names.

16. It took the length of his layaway and about a week of having him with me before I got around to naming him. It was so bad that we called him 'The Nameless Wonder' until I finally decided on Takaya.

17. please deleate

18. How soon do I name them? Which time? Several of mine have gone through name changes. What I thought was a fine name eventually didn't fit with the character they became. I rarely buy a doll with a specific character in mind. In fact, I had well over a dozen before the whole 'horde' theme came into being. That was over a year after getting the first one. Names changed once the Horde arrived. Of course, they still have the original names as an alternate personality.

19. I decided on Hansel's name a few weeks to a month after ordering him. I'm still waiting now but his name was pretty much the first thing I gave him. :P

20. lots of my friends told me to name her when she came here..but i love to pick names(person who already has her childrens named picked out...) so i searched the web for a few names and i found Ashling, gaelic for dream(or vision)...apparently and Sgath(me) is gaelic for darkness..yay...but i realized that there are alot of ashlings out there..oh well
      my best advice would be to look up name meanings and pick one that you like best... its always good to have a meaning behind a name