1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How Long Before You Named Them / The Importance of Naming

Jun 15, 2008

1. Thanks for all the input! This is really helpful (and interesting!) to read ^.^

Haha, currently I refer to him as "my doll" or "my boy" when talking to others. When I'm picking him up I often call him "you" (nicely, not in the harsh "hey, you!" way). When I bought him "Cain" stuck in my head, but I really didn't like the negative connotations associated with the name. Since then I've considered Edward, Emmett, and Theo, but none really seem to fit well... XD

2. Well, I have two very handsome boys at home with me right now. For my first boy, Shoji a DoC Hoo [f], he literally got his name right out of the bag. I saw him and immedately knew his name. As for Draven (Dz Assassin Hid) his name took me about a month. I kept looking at him and looking at him. Every name didn't seem to stick until I thought about the movie The Crow. My boy certianly reminds me of the main character, Eric Draven. Hence, where he got his name from! :)

3. All my dolls were named before I even thought of them most of the time. Except for one, but she got her name soon after getting her. Like it was really easy for me to do that. Names are important, because with the name I kinda get a feeling for who the character is going to be. It just works like that for me. I don't know if I'm a lone on that but I kinda doubt it.

Names make the doll, and help create the personality.

4. I've found that sometimes you have to just go with whatever name is even remotely close to what you like or think you might like, and try it out for a few weeks.

For example: My sister named our cat Billy, and I HATED the name. But I called him Billy because that's what she wants, and now it's the best name for him.

Give it time, and most likely the name will "settle in" with you, or you'll realize why you hate it and what it is you're REALLY looking for.

A while ago I wrote this little bit on naming your doll (and other things). It might help too.

Good luck!

5. I made the mistake of naming Alaw (by a different name) before she arrived and when she did...it really didn't fit her. I got her for another character completely and she just didn't exhibit any of that character's personality when she arrived. The name clash and her arriving with a completely different personality almost made me sell her a week later because I didn't know what to do with her. Now I think she has settled in to her new name, which means 'Melody' in Welsh.

As for my Soulkid Harang, who arrived this morning, his name goes against the pattern. I wanted to give all my resin family Welsh names, but last night I was staring at pictures of him and realised he wasn't going to suit any of the Welsh names I liked. I have a demon-universe that I write in and my favourite of my own original characters is a sparky little demon called Zeelzaroth. As soon as I opened the box and saw him wrapped in the bubbles, I knew he had to be Zee :)

6. Most of the time, my dolls have names before I even order them. Usually I look at their photos on the dealer's website and know who they are (well, Minnaloushe didn't just tell me her name, she announced it and that she wanted to come home with me!). Zenshin and Hinoko were the exception: a friend desperately wanted the Juri 07 head, and so I ordered sooner than I would have. They did tell me their names soon after they arrived, fortunately, since without names I couldn't know what color hair/eyes they needed, or how to dress them. In other words, names carry their personalities, and are of paramount importance to me. I guess I read too much LeGuin and McKillip as a child!

7. I always name my doll within the first few days of having them. I usually find one to fit their personality.

8. I just got my first doll and she took me a week to name. I wasn't really thinking about it until I got her faceup done and that's when names started rolling around in my head. After reading some posts I was worried at first that since she didn't have a name immediately we weren't bonding properly, but in retrospect I was just being silly since I loved her from the minute I opened the box.

9. Some boys tell me their names as soon as I see their preview-photos, 3 months before they're even released... Other boys don't tell me their names until 6 weeks after they arrive home. But they all eventually come clean and tell me who they are.

Just let it happen. Naming is one of those things that will happen with or without your input.

(But here's a tip to hasten the process: If you're indecisive, reduce your list to just 2 choices, & then take a vote among 3 friends! Or, flip a coin! Even these time-tested cosmic tiebreaker techniques are still guaranteed to choose the right name.)

10. All my dolls have had a name before they arrive...its a little strange, most of their names i want to convey a specific meaning (except Ninde's name i filched that from a book i was reading as i thought it sounded like a good name for him). I use one of the baby name websites that allows you to search for a meaning. I search for the meaning and read all the available entries until one sort of jumps out at me...thats the one the bjd will end with.

My tinies were a little different tho i didnt want a meaning for their names; they just sort of popped into my head when i ordered them.

Im due to order a mnf a la carte doll, originally i was gonna sell the head with my old mnf body (that came with my mnf miyu) but the head in question sort of has a name now so it looks like she is staying. I never buy a doll until i can find their name, i did want to get a lati blue boy but for the life of me i cant find his name so for now he is just a dream.

11. My dolls were named before they got here. They were named before they were ordered. Their names were very important to me, and I wanted to know what would fit them the best.

12. It took me over a year to name Violet. Up until then she was just "Megu13". The others have been easier.

13. Let's try this again, the forum went down right as I tried to post.

Even though I haven't ordered my first boy quite yet, he and my hopeful 2nd boy already have names since they're little brain-characters of mine. The characters however got their names because I like historical references and such, so they are Alexander and Jason. Alexander, the Greek emperor, and Jason, Greek hero of the "Golden Fleece". <3

14. I like to develop a character before I even think about getting a doll( name, background, age, etc.) Then I start looking into what type of doll i think would best go with my character.
      I think you should take a good look at your doll and run through a list of names you like. It takes sometime to develop a name but don't worry it will come to you. I don't think because he doesn't have a name that it will hurt the bonding process. You picked that mold because you liked it not because of that potential name you could give it. Just love him as much as you can and the name will come to you eventually

15. I had the names of my dolls elected even before I bought them.
      When Thae arrived I really wanted to call him Yamiki. But he just decided he preferred the name I had chosen for his future sire: Thae (Alantha Elemmiïre). Now Yamiki (Actual name of the sire) is going to be the name of a future bjd, the sire of Thae.

16. Emory (Souldoll Arhanian, my first bjd) I ended up naming for Junky Spot's Emory (the owner) + Cam mainly because the 'real' Emory shipped him to me on his (the 'real' Emory's) birthday. However we never did bond, & I sold the Arhanian head & replaced it with a Rickman Minimee, & so now he's (obviously) Brandon, but also Reynaud de Lacey High Sheriff of Nottingham & Maghwa, an Iroquois (no, not a Huron). My first girl, Belladonna Aphrodite, I had no name for except The Limhwa Princess. I had to run a contest & get help naming her after several weeks of no name. Aliyah had her name well before she arrived, & it fits her. It just sort of 'came' to me.

17. Before they arrived. Hjalmar was named when I first saw his picture in the sales post. He just yelled out 'Viking' so I went to search for a suitable name. It stuck and fit perfectly. Pavi was named when he arrived. Kauko was named after Hjalmar arrived and decided his sidekick needed a scandinavian name too. Skjalm was a bit harder to name because I haven't seen very good pics of him, just his body and a blank head. So I hope it was a good choice when he arrives and else it's back to the name list.

18. I've never had a doll come home nameless. I always make sure I have a full , (first, middle and last) name in mind before they arrive at my door. I'm sure there are 2 schools of thought upon the importance of naming. Some people are going to say it's very important to have a name for your doll as soon as possible and others will say that you should take your time and name your doll when it feels right. I'm a supporter of the former school of though.

I think it's very important to have a name before you order/while you're planning the doll. I'm also a very big fan of having a character or bits of a character in mind while planning the doll too. In the end bonding will be easier and you're more likely to be less confused about your doll as a person.

Anyway, I hope you and your boy bond soon! Good Luck!

19. Well, I ordered Blisdon under the pretense that he would be a completely different guy with a totally different name. But as I looked at him more, I just couldn't get around the fact that he looked just like the pictures I used to draw of the angel Blisdon. So, that's who he became, although I was a little reluctant about it.

My Soom Sard, however, was ordered over a month ago and I STILL have no idea who exactly he will be. :sweat

20. it took me about 20 minutes before i had chosen Masako's name. (i was originally going to name her Aiko or Hanako... but they just did NOT suit her at all!)
      i named Shiro and Hikari before they came home, and their names suit them so well!
      Mineko, my daughter's doll went around nameless for about a half day.