1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How Long Before You Named Them / The Importance of Naming

Jun 15, 2008

1. I didn't have a name for Soleil until a couple weeks after I got him. I wasn't in a huge rush to name him, I just wanted to take my time and pick a name that fit.

2. I name my BJDs after their mold and plan to continue doing that for a long time. If I have two of the same mold [for example, getting 2 DOB Libras--one will be Libra and the other will be Libby. If i were to get 2 DOI Lukes, they'd be Lukey and Lu].

I fall in love with the mold, not some imaginary person in my head. That's why I name them after their mold (: i don't find it makes them any less special, just that they are who they are and who I fell in love with over their promo pictures online.

3. I chose my doll's name a few weeks before he was due to arrive at my house xD I looked up many upon many names that would not only fit the way he looked but gave a meaning to the entire experience, as he was my first doll.
      Chose a name that means "Victory!:, thus the name Masaru xD
      I named my 2nd doll before I received him, but I was looking for something that you don't hear as often as other names (maybe I thought that lol) and I named him Alexander, as I don't know many people with that name.

4. I pick my dolls name when I buy them! I normally just have a name pop into my head, the one time I did not I just looked up names and as soon as I saw his name I knew it was his~XD

I agree that not having a name would make me feel like I could not bond with them as easily~ I find it with humans too... I need to call them something in my head... even if it's just a nickname~ : )

5. I've had my doll for 6 months now, and up until a few days ago she had a name ~ :)
      Then I changed her wig... :|
      and I don't feel that her name fits anymore ... :(
      I've decided to pick something from my shortlist after her new eyes arrive this week ~ :aheartbea

6. The name usually come to me quite fast, and if it doesn't I have a list of names and I just pick one I think would fit.

7. Aki got his name as he was being shipped, as I'd seen pics before. Gloria got her name shortly after she rejected the one I had for her before I adopted her, and Xstian took on the one I chose for him after seeing his company picture as a Lyall, and it stuck when I cuddled him :)

I think names are important, personally, because it creates a deeper attachment, I feel. :)

8. None of my dolls have solid names yet. Mostly I refer to them by their mold names, although I will eventually them. I just have to come across the right name, that not only sounds nice, but also seems to evoke their faces and images, too. It's been about four months for my first doll, but none of them seem to mind, and it hasn't affected the bonding process for me. I LURV them all. :)

9. It depends on the doll for me.

I try to keep my dolls limited to the characters in my various stories ((though my more impulsive side would have me buying gorgeous little resin angels left and right if I paid it any mind)). None of the stories are finished ((not even close)) so sometimes the character just isn't real to me until I've found the perfect sculpt. For example, one character in my vampire story had two possible names but no sculpt. When I saw the Ringdoll Frankenstein teaser on MoC, I knew he was absolutely perfect for this character and had to adjust some of the backstory and habits to suit how the character evolved in my head upon seeing him. The first of the names ((Cael)) just did not seem to suit him at all so the second ((Samael)) became his name. I haven't gotten him yet though. ((Still not released! T~T)) Other characters have names before they even have personalities! Like my Saiph, whom I have named Serafimo. I knew I wanted a servant for my Master Vampire and the name Serafimo just popped into my head immediately. It took me a while to find a sculpt that meshed well with my Gluino but once I settled on Saiph the personality just kind of formed. It has taken me a really long time to settle on a last name for him though. I've only done so recently, after a certain creative spark mixed with a spell of insomnia that has practically forced me to work on fleshing out my story. Speaking of my Gluino, he was probably the most difficult to name and the longest any of my dolls has gone without one. When he arrived I called him Velkan, after a character in a previous story. It didn't quite seem to fit so I changed it to Lestat... but that didn't work either. I called him by his sculpt name for about a month before I settled on the name Halvir. It sounded very weird to me for quite a while but I think I've grown used to it... It just seems so right for the character now, and my gorgeous Gluino, that I can't imagine why I found it odd in the first place. Of course, when he arrived he didn't exactly have a character. I just adored the sculpt so much that I had to take him home. When I received him, though, his personality kind of erupted and his character just happened. I actually created the entire story around him and his character... My absolute favourite story as well... Funny how that seems to happen sometimes. :3 Like with my Gluino, I sometimes create characters for dolls I like. It's kind of a good thing, I sometimes need inspiration to create more characters and more diverse characters for my stories... I suspect, though, that it is my brain attempting to rationalize impulsive buying... "He would make a great addition to this story!" "Ooooh... I could really use a saucy cook... and she would be perfect!" Or my personal favourite, "But... She'll be lonely unless I get this one to be her counterpart!!"

How do I come up with the names to begin with? Well... It may seem silly, but I generally go to a baby name database and search by origin or meaning. I'll think on the character or the hole in the story I'm trying to fill and make a list of names ((with their meanings and pronunciations of course)) that I think might fit. When I'm finished, I'll read over the character's information, if there is any, or look at pictures of the sculpt I have chosen, if I have done so, and weed out names that just don't fit. Sometimes a particular name will just jump out at me and that will be it. Other times it takes a while of mulling over the names in my head to really settle. I usually get torn on the way the name sounds when I pronounce it and what the name means. Meaning is very important to me. I will usually choose a name that I like the meaning of over a name I like the sound of.

For me it doesn't seem to affect my bonding with the doll. Really what determines that is how well I like the sculpt and how well the sculpt fits the character. I've had great luck at it though, probably owed to how long it takes me to settle on things. :3

*cough* Sorry about that... Did not realize what a wall of text I had created until I posted. <_<;;

10. I'd hold off on names until I have the doll for a while. Gotta get a sense of the doll's personality, so to speak!

11. I will call my dolls with their default name: Beatrice and Neris. Another Blood will be called Bloddy or similar I think :D

12. Well, I'm looking for a dolls that will represent characters of my story so their names are already given. But, ofc, it makes task of finding them even more difficult ^^""

13. I found her name before she arrived home. I browsed a lot on the internet, couldnt find a name that fit and stumbled upon Lorelei (as in the germanic legend) and I somewhat had a revelation :D

14. I usually have a name in mind for my dolls when I see a sculpt that I really like. It comes to me and the name sticks before I ever purchase the doll.

15. I actually day dream a lot and I always have several stories and plots that run concurrently. Originally I didn't even plan on naming my dollies or anything.... just sort of using them as props. And then one of the stories took a final form and somehow it became my doll's history. So I have named and given characteristics to all my dollies even though I don't have any at home! Even for my far-future male BJD I have a story for but he won't be coming home until next year or something. hahahah

16. Koriel had his name long before I even found the right sculpt for him. (I was searching for more then 2 years >.<) I can't remember how long Mokuba took to get her name. She was my first doll and didn't really have any character yet since she was a gift but she ended up being one anyway. ^.^ And Karasu maybe a few weeks then the name just clicked.

I try to keep my dolls as my characters in a story so they tend to have names before they get ordered. It can be hard sometimes because they might not end up being who they were suppose to be. But, that's part of the process I guess.

17. With my first doll, I knew her name before she came home. She told me her name the first time I saw her on the Dollmore website. Bossy little thing!

Everyone else has been named after they came home - usually by me but a couple of times by my parents. My mother took one look at my DOC Zen and told me his name was "Mikail" and I went "okay, Mother." My dad held my Puki for the first time, the day I opened his box, and my father said I should name the Puki "Achmed" (after the Jeff Dunham puppet).

The rest of my brood have introduced themselves to me in their own ways, but I still have no names for my two floating heads. I want to wait until I have bodies and complete dolls before trying to figure out who they are.

18. Well for my first doll, I kept her sculpt name. I decided on Marki's and Cecil's name before I ordered them both ^//^

19. For Thurinthel I had her name months before I got her and with Aiden it was just a week or so before he came home, so it varies. Then again I planned Thurin out for a long time and with Aiden there was a Christmas sale so we just went for it!!

20. My imagination doesn't seem to stretch into the realm of creative names. As much as I love the idea of using beautiful sounding Japanese names (that's what I'd like to do), in reality I think of them by their default names. Some of those default names are pretty cool.