1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How long did it take you guys to learn?

Sep 8, 2007

1. This I would agree with, ive been into BJD's for many years and with new info/dolls/etc coming out all the time, your learning new things every week.

2. I first fell in love with BJD's when I saw a picture of Sha, I think....almost two...possibly three years ago. I searched everywhere to find out WHERE that picture had come from. At first I thought it was a person, or maybe a 3D image my friend had found. But then I noticed that joints and went on a MAD hunt to find where it came from. Last September I finally found out about BJD's. And how much they actually cost. I told my self there was NO way I would EVER spend that much money on a doll when I knew NOTHING about them. I didn't know how big they were, how good the quality of them was. Because I've collected dolls since I was a little girl. Prosolin dolls just sit on my shelf and collect dust. I didn't want a $300+ dust collector. So I pushed that thought out of my head quickly.

Then i saw them everywhere at Anime Boston. Broke down and I am now waiting on my second doll ^-^ I still have a lot to learn though. I've been sewing clothes for my doll since I got him, and now I'm working on learning how to do face ups. And learning what's good for a doll, and what's not~ it's a LOT to learn, and a very expensive hobby. But the way I see it. If I get good enough at sewing, or doing face up's or both. Sooner or later doing that will pay for my dolls ^-^ But i've still got a LONG way to go.

3. The other thing is that you can learn a ton by reading DoA, other websites and doll magazine articles, but there's a different kind of learning you do by having a doll in hand. There's a big difference between looking at a stringing tutorial, for instance, and having your own doll in pieces on your kitchen table! I also agree with the poster who enjoyed the thrill of not knowing. The phase of gathering information is always my favorite--my inner corvid loves picking up pretty shiny facts and arranging them in piles.

4. As others have stated, no matter how long you have been into ABJD's there is always new things to learn seeing as new companies and dolls pop-up all the time, and because so many people are starting to create their own molds. :| Personally I know that I will never be able to name/recognize even half of the different dolls/companies out there, I'm not even going to try, it'd make my brian hurt.

I first got into BJD's a little over two years ago, and I just surfed around the company sites that I could find (not thinking that there may be places like this that I could come to), fell in love with CH Sia and bought her really without knowing what all I was in store for. Now a year and a half after I got my first lil one, I have two more at home and another on the way, and I still feel like a noob at times because I'll look in on some thread and just go WTF... Everyone has something that they know really well, whether it is about doing face-ups, mods, molds, making clothing, whatever no one knows it all so there is always something to learn.

5. You never stop learning, something new is released every day and there's always gonna be an area you know less about, it's just part of the hobby :) I for instance, will never ever be able to tell the volks sculpts apart lol

6. I agree with Lulu.

Although I am getting the hang of things! (Like telling Volks sculpts apart..xD).

It's all pretty easy to understand once you have a good look at a few different sites. I've known about BJD's for awhile...but I never really got into them until my friend Pat told me he's ordered his E-an over a month ago.

Then I became obsessed and started researching..xD It didn't really take that long, probably because I was committed (If only I was that enthusiastic about school xD).

I understood the dolls' concept before anyone had told me, and I get frustrated when I see people asking question (not on the forums, by the way) that are PRETTTTTY obvious..xD I mean.. I don't even own a doll yet, and i know enough! xD

I guess it's just different with each person..xD But yeah..usually..the best way to learn, is by doing it! xD

Good luck xD

7. I researched for about 6 months before being confident enough in my knowledge of the hobby, but of course there is still so much that i can learn after all i'm in this hobby for not that long.

Totally agreed:)

8. I still learn things everyday! I don't know if it's possible to know everything about BJDs. I find that after a while you tend to gravitate towards certain companies or brands and the knowledge you take in becomes specific to those dolls. For example, I know a lot about Migidolls, Luts and Fairyland but almost nothing about some other brands. I still discover new dolls I've never even heard of! Once you get the hang if a couple companies and learn the basics, it's not very hard to branch out and learn about new dolls c:

9. Well, I have 10 years in this hobby and I'm still learning. Restringing and maintenance didn't took me more than a year as I was always reading everything and from everywhere. But now I'm focusing in learning how to do face ups, sanding/modding and I want to learn how to make wigs and eyes.

You never stop learning in this hobby and that's the beauty of it. =)

10. Ten years! I came across ball jointed dolls in 2004 and have been researching them since.

11. I think about 5 years, and then the new model explosion started and joints changed and all sorts of things come up. Just read the news/forum constantly and you'll almost keep up. ^_^

12. It took me almost 3 months to fully know the basic of bjd.
      at free time, i find myself reading some doll materials... sometimes even at work breaks...
      i also joined some doll communities and i'm glad i have friends there that are willing to help me.
      I'm still learning until now. its an just like art.

13. OTL. I am never going to learn it all either. I'm with you there. I want to know more, but it seems that I'm a better learner the hands on sort of way.