1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How long did you doll search before you fell in love?

Sep 20, 2016

1. The process of deciding I actually wanted a doll took maybe half a year, as a friend was getting into the hobby, but then it only took maybe a month to decide which one I wanted :P

I basically looked through all the dolls of all the doll companies I could find, and bookmarked the ones that appealed to me and decided what I wanted(boy, SD size, kind of realistic, not too masculine, neutral facial expression). Then I excluded all that didn't fit and looked at owner photos and compared prices to find the one I liked the most.

2. I fell in love with Iplehouse BJDs (yes almost with every mold they offer lol) like 4 years ago and I have to say it did not take me long to find the ones I really wanna buy when I have the money. Like half an hour after browsing through their dolls and I've already found 5, haha. The thing was, when I could finally afford one, I could not decide which one to get first. But the whole process of finding one was easy because my girlfriend showed me her Iplehouse boys when we've had our first date and I immediately wanted to see more Iplehouse dolls, so we checked the site and BAM; I was in love.

3. I think I searched for about 3 months before buying a doll and in the end I still ended up being disappointed when she arrived. I chose the wrong resin colour. I wont make that mistake again!

4. I looked at dolls on and off for several years, knowing at that time that I couldn't buy one. When I started looking at dolls with a fraction of intent to buy, it was within the same day that I found the one that I ended up ordering. I think I had a pretty good idea of what I was looking for, though, so I feel like it could be a lot different if you browse without being certain.

5. i was lucky and found one i really wanted to buy ariund my first time researching bjds. well, i say "lucky", but at the time i couldnt afford it so ive been waiting for years to finally enter the hobby, and i didnt even buy that first doll i fell in love with! its still on my wishlist though x- D
      its important to be very confident with your purchase so you dont suffer from buyers remorse later on, so i think its fine to really search thoroughly. theres no need to rush, because in the end you'll be waiting for the doll to arrive anyway.... haha!

6. Um.... about two years.

7. In all honesty, it took me 10 years to fall in love with a doll. I first started learning about bjds when I was 16 years old, and after many years, countless OT dolls and 2 resin dolls later, I finally found the perfect doll for me: the 48cm Obitsu. She is practically perfect in every way! I love her with all of my heart, and I can't wait to buy more dolls from this company!

8. I've been browsing a lot and have been for the past few years, looking for "the one"...or "the ones" :lol:
      But I always feel I am attracted to a certain type...and when I found one, it only took seconds for me to fall in a love with a doll...whether or not that love is long lasting, I have yet to find out...:XD:

9. Same as @brightberry and @thedarkeststar13 - I had barely even heard about BJD, I was just starting to look into the idea, and I was flabbergasted at the prices of these dolls. ("And they're naked! And don't have eyes or hair!" I explained indignantly to someone at the time.)

But then I hit the Iplehouse site just as they released the teaser pics of Lisa, from The Addiction series, and I was smitten.

Three years later, and I don't regret it at all.

10. Wandering around the sidelines for some years, then found some off-topic little dolls locally at an amazing price. Was having so much fun with them that I finally admitted to myself that I would take the plunge. From then, about 3 weeks cruising pictures and found the one I really liked. Then a few months arranging the finances, then ordering and arriving :)

11. I bought my test doll almost a decade after learning about bjds. He arrived in less than a week.

Soon after I bought a mid-range Impldoll Akasha because she was a vampire with an open mouth. Akasha took 3-4 months to arrive.

However, my Iplehouse Aurora changed the way I looked at and bought bjds. At the time she was the most expensive, my most realistic, and my most beautiful doll. Aurora is still my favorite and she is the most beautiful. Though all iplehouse dolls are extremely gorgeous.

12. For me, the process of searching the right doll took about four years and a half since I first knew about BJDs from a friend (I didn't really start investigating them seriously till three years later), but I didn't really fall in love with the first I bought.
      I found the one I fell in love with a year before receiving the first one (I sold the first one a little while after that).

13. I fell inlove first before i search...hehe cos i saw the pic accidentally before I search for it and ask for it... I first saw my grail doll and I own her now

14. I searched for two years before deciding on my first doll! :lol: I love doing research so for each doll I considered I'd right a list of pros and cons, I compared prices and poseability and what clothes I'd get and resin colors and hybrid-ability and more nonsense. It's a wonder I actually picked one!

15. Took me six months, and it was because said doll was released at that time. If he hadn't been released, it would have taken me way more time to fall in love with another one :lol:

16. Not long at all honestly. The first doll I ever wanted was an Iplehouse Lawrence, but I couldn't afford him at the time. That ended up being a good thing because I no longer like his sculpt as much as I used too. I found him a few hours into seriously searching for a doll to buy. Not too long after that I lost interest in the hobby for a few years before searching again. I then discovered twigling dolls on tumblr and knew for sure Ingenue was a doll I had to have, the only problem was she's SD size, and I thought that would be too big for me, especially since she would be my first doll. However once twigling introduced the Miningenue, I knew at that moment she was perfect for me and would be my first doll. I have her sitting in my room right now, and couldn't be happier with her :)

17. Looking back at my old chats...it took eight hours from when I mentioned looking seriously at buying one of these dolls to getting an order confirmation. Next month will mark 10 years (eek) so I guess not all impulse buys are bad, heh.

19. I didnt even know what a bjd was when i saw a picture of Secretdoll Person 04. Love at first sight.

20. I looked around and "researched" BJD's for about a month or so before I settled on a sculpt I really liked.