1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How long did you wait to get your first doll?

Dec 4, 2017

1. I decided on my first doll at least a year after I discovered resin BJDs. I wanted an artist's model and I first started on small vinyl Obitsus, but the Iplehouse aesthetic drew me in after doing research on alternatives. (Ironically, none of my dolls are from Iplehouse.) The starting cost of the hobby was quite hefty for me, so it took me quite long to convince myself it was worth it (and it was!).

2. I literally bought the first head I saw for sale with no prior knowledge. I think I'd seen them in passing a few times but not really paid much attention beyond, 'Oh, cool.'

If you're wondering how this happens: I'd actually been searching for a toy of Thranduil from the Hobbit. I'd looked everywhere but they were all terrible sculpts. Having collected 1/6 figures, I thought I'd try typing "Thranduil head sculpt" into etsy, and the Modoll head came up. I bought him straight away, then found a body which (luckily) was legit: from DollMix after a lot of googling. The order got messed up, so DollMix sent jointed hands as an apology, which was nice.

I have autism and ADHD.... I work and everything, but I'm still stupidly impulsive with buying things. I'd also got my first solid, full time job, which took a year of exams, interviews and assessments so I figured I was owed a present!

Luckily, it turns out I love BJDs, and I now have 15 (including on order). I still have Thranduil and I still think he's awesome!

3. About three months from when I first started thinking about buying and actually buying.

I would think it's different for everyone and depends upon a lot of things. Doing research and being patient is very important, though, because a lot of time and money is involved.

4. I found out about BJD about 6-8 months, on Deviantart. I didn’t know how or where to buy them, it took some navigating and finally found them on eBay and I went ahead and ordered my first two with my tax return. So basically, not very long. That was almost 8 years ago.

5. around 3 months and 1 week. luts is pretty good at timing :whee:

i know bjd years ago but wasn't that into it until july this year... i got three doll and 6 heads....:doh

6. For me... it's been over 10 years? I think I found out about BJD in 2004, then saw some live for the first time in 2006. I was in love with Dream of Doll and Iplehouse sculpts, though DoD is out of business and Iplehouse has discontinued the sculpt I wanted. Still, my first doll is an Iplehouse and I got her this October. :) Now I have a new head and a new full doll incoming so I'll have 3 full dolls early next year.

7. I learned about BJDs a long time ago when I was around 12 so it was impossible for me to get one back then but I recently rediscovered the hobby and got my first doll after saving up for around a month. My doll is a hybrid so when I got my doll the head took around 2 weeks and the body took a few days over a month to arrive.

8. The official timeline of my first doll:
      1. Sept 2006: See's a fellow human carrying a doll at a festival and inquires. Fellow human refuses any info at all. Tries to google with no knowledge or search terms and fails. Gives up.
      2. Sept 2007: randomly buys anime magazine and finds teeny ad for JunkySpot. Squeals "THESE ARE THE DOLLS!!" and visits site. Finds no dolls of interest.
      3. Oct 2007: becomes obsessed with google. Only knows term "ball jointed dolls". Finds Luts, Volks and DIM. Still no dolls of interest.
      4. Nov 2007: Decides to quit after one last search. Somehow finds Dollmore even though they never showed up before in search. Finally finds doll of interest. Becomes obsessed again.
      5. April 2008: finally caves after months of obsessing and orders first doll
      6. May 2008: first doll arrives. Chaos ensues.

9. I researched them for about 3 months prior to purchasing one. The price was the initial hindrance; I was shocked at the price but ultimately couldn't stay away :)

10. Not long cuz i got a 2nd hand doll for my 1st doll and the seller was just from around town so i just picked it up :D which was convinient :D

11. Seven years... It literally took me seven years of research and saving up and getting to the point I knew enough about ordering online and being financially stable to an extent so I could take the plunge....

12. Not that long. I was already knee deep into doll collecting by the time I got my first bjd.

13. Mmh... 4 years of search. I planned on getting a Dollmore doll Chami. Before that I hesitated between her and I Souldoll, a Fairyland and a Supiadoll.
      Finally, I bought a Dust of Dolls (I saw her on pictures of the LDoll and got a crush) and I waited 5 months to get her home.
      And I never got the Chami XD

14. I thought about this for way too long...I think I can now confidently say my first sightings of a bjd can date back to my uni years, I'd say 2012/2013, on Tumblr. Saw a picture, got interested, checked out their website and let it go since I didn't have an income at the time. Around June last year the topic came up with a friend who got interested in them and I decided to order my first doll after my birthday in September. Recently with the help of a friend I tried to find out which sculpt/company that first doll was with no luck, I thought it would have been really cool to bring it home, but I delated that old blog to start fresh with a bjd-only one so there's no way of tracking that old post down. All in all I'd say I waited a couple months before taking the plunge, cos last year is when I really got interested in the hobby and started gathering info.

15. I think it was close to 6 months. I had to spend time deciding what I wanted and researching everything (sizes, brands, sites, etc.)

16. I dithered about buying a doll for nearly 7 years. It is a lot of money, after all. Did a lot of research first. But for the most part, it served me well since I knew what I liked, so I only have a few dolls that I turned around and sold again.

17. Five years. I was interested in BJDs back in 2000 when there were maybe 6 sculpts total? I didn't buy my first until 2005.

18. Oh got it over seven months after ordering her body! Ironically my second doll came in before she did

19. I waited 6 months before I bought my first head only because it took me a long time to save up the money

20. I waited a year to get my first doll.