1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How long do you keep clothes on your BJDs?

May 2, 2011

1. My dolls are always in various stages of dress and undress. Sometimes I leave them in their clothes for months at a time, sometimes they only stay in the clothes long enough for me to get bored (which can be only hours, or even minutes). It's not uncommon to see nude dollies on my desk, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they're always nude. Really, it just depends.

2. How long do you keep clothes on your BJDs; particularly dark clothes?

I don't like staining, but I'm also terribly lazy and like a lot of dark clothes... I have limiteds and one-offs... but I'll keep them in the same outfit for years!!! *_*

~ When you store them or just have them sit around for long periods of time, do you keep them in just their underwear, or a full outfit?
      I don't store my dolls... I like having them lay about all dressed in their outfits... I suppose if I were putting them someplace secure for a length of time, I'd undress them and keep them in their underwear... But I've had dolls since 2004 and haven't done that yet!

~ Do you make sure their outfits are light?
      No. I love dark colors too much.

~ To what degree do you worry about clothes staining your dolls?
      I worry about it a bit. So far, I've only had a few minor staining problems. Most of the clothes seem pretty good--but it IS hard to tell. It happens so rarely that I figure I'll just freak out about it when it happens, and then start scrubbing away with a Magic Sponge thingie. It doesn't happen often enough or drastically enough for me to worry about it too much! I want to enjoy my dolls--which means, dressing them and playing with them... and not having to tip-toe around them while I do it.

~ Do all dark clothes stain, no matter the material?
      Not that I have experienced. I've only had a very, very few problems... and they weren't big problems--just some SLIGHT staining in spots from one or two items...

~ How long would one estimate a dark piece of clothing have to be on a doll before staining of the resin is apperant?
      I don't know. If it's dye that isn't well-fixed, it probably wouldn't take long.

Roka is begging me to give him his usual white dress shirt and black dress pants, socks, and shoes, but I'm deathly afraid of keeping them on him for any length of time. Any advice...?
      I've had staining from wig caps and shoes... so if you're worried... have your guy wear light underwear and socks and something under his wig if it's dark. Usually the staining happens in areas where the cloth fits tightly-- like the hips, crotch, knees. Maybe you can just check now and then to see if any staining is happening... It could be that the fabric of the dress pants is just fine and won't stain him. Maybe you can keep him dressed and just change his outfits regularly--maybe every few weeks, whatever you can comfortably do... You can check for staining then and see if anything is happening. And if something is staining, at least you'll catch it and know what it is--and maybe soak it or follow directions for making the dye fix or wash out before using that item again.

OR--the really careful types will wash/fix ALL items of clothing before putting it on their dolls (or items that look like they might stain, or whatever). You can do that, if it concerns you that much. I don't like washing doll clothes (gets them all wrinkled). But that's me.

Or just continue to do what you're doing--keep them in underwear until they need to get dressed for some reason!

Oh--I think I saw someone selling a bodysuit on ebay for those who worry about staining! Heh. Maybe your guy could wear light-colored tights for protection!

--and--it's the wig-cap staining that affects the faceup that is the most annoying and damaging... I guess if you have lots of body-blushing, you'd have to be more careful, too... since you can't just scrub away at the stains...

Good luck! :)

3. I always keep clothes on my boy. :sweat
      He always like to look cute. ;)

I do change him often, since I enjoy putting him in different outfits, but he is almost always clothed. Even with black clothing, since I found that /none/ of the clothing I have (so far) stains.

4. My dollies, who are always on display and sometimes played with but mostly sit around and look pretty, are always wearing their clothes year round. Most of them have not stained but when they do, I (effortlessly) remove it with a Mister Clean Eraser.

I don't bother making sure their clothes are light. They wear whatever suits them best.

I wouldn't say all dark clothes stain. All of the clothes I own for them are dark in color and only one set has ever stained. It was a Dollzone Floy set and it stained like no tomorrow. In the end, the staining came off without issue.

I don't know how long it would take for an article to stain a stationary doll, but I can say that having the cloth rub against the doll definitely speeds up the process! Heck, the moment I put some very tight arm warmers onto Afanasiy, his hand was immediately stained. :huh?: <--That was my exact expression when it happened.

5. My crew are always dressed in their default clothes; most are dressed in dark fabrics. So far no staining and it's been over 4 years. And even if they stained, it's not such a big deal. As Harlequin-Elle said: staines are easy to remove.

6. I actually always leave them with clothes on, if they're light colored that is. I'm too lazy to change clothes xD but if I put them in their box I'll just strip them naked. I always think they might like the fresh breeze or something like that :p

7. How long do you keep clothes on your BJDs; particularly dark clothes?
      I usually keep them dressed for weeks- in dark clothes, light clothes and everything in between. They only get changed when I've made them something new, which with my school schedule means rarely.

~ When you store them or just have them sit around for long periods of time, do you keep them in just their underwear, or a full outfit?
      I usually like to have them in a complete outfit, but if they aren't then I just put 'em in a box and don't display them. (Having naked dolls on display in my room would only be weirder.)

Nope. They wear whatever I made for them and they like it!
      Not at all. I've got much more important things to worry about- like my term paper.
      Not that I've noticed. Dark knits don't stain in my experience, in fact nearly every dark material has been safe except dark denim (and my lot sit around in that all the time. They really don't get stained that much to be honest. In fact, only my Bobobie gets badly stained from dark denim, so I think it depends on the resin.)
      ~ How long would one estimate a dark piece of clothing have to be on a doll before staining of the resin is apparent?
      I have no idea, I only clean them when I change them - if I notice the staining. Otherwise, no biggie.

8. I generally keep outfits on my dolls for as long as I want to. I prefer to keep them clothed in full outfits, so I don't undress them for "storage" or any prolonged time periods. I don't change their clothing on a particular basis--instead, I change it when the mood strikes me. I find that I change my doll's clothing frequently (say every week or so, or even more often) for a month or two, and then they wear the same outfits for several months at a time.

I don't worry about their clothing causing stains because their dark outfits seem to be fairly colourfast. When I first put either of my dolls into something dark-coloured, I check every few days to see if there is any sign of colour bleeding. Thankfully, most of their darker clothing has light-coloured lining, so the dark fabric doesn't often come in contact with their bodies. Also, not all dark items stain; It's entirely dependent on the colourfastness of the garment.

9. The simple answer is it depends on how long it is between me playing with that particulr doll and the next time (or how frequently some event comes up - like a dollmeet or a convention - that I'm moved to change their outfit for.

I don't store them.

Nope - if something stains I clean off the stain the first time it happens, and make sure I line that grament, or make sure the doll wears something else under it in future. So far there's only been two items.

Not much - it doesn't happen often adn it's not likely to be permanent - I might worry more if my dolls were tan skin that might change colour with cleaning, but not much. Dolls are for playing with and dressig up, i'm not goign to mar my enjoyment of that by worrying about something that might never happen - especially somehing that is so easily fixed in the relatively unlikely event that it does happen.

No. You're more likely to notice dark staining. One of the items that I have which stains is a red sweater - it took quite a while to notice that the doll who wears it was getting a bit more pink around the joints. The dark purple britches left a more noticable stain, but both wiped off with no problems and the staining is easily avoided in futer with both - tights under the britches instead of long socks and a thin undershirt beneath the swater and there's no more staining.

~ How long would one estimate a dark piece of clothing have to be on a doll before staining of the resin is apperant?

No way of setting a time lmit on it, depends on the dye, the colour of the doll the colour of the garment. Before i got any resin dolls one fo my vinyl dolls was stained by a dress that left makrs on the hands as I was putting them through thesleeves the first time the dress was worn. The red sweater was on the doll for weeks, the purple britches only for a few days.

Stop worrying about a minor problem that may never occur and enjoy playing dress-up with your doll instead.

Teddy

10. How long do you keep clothes on your BJDs; particularly dark clothes?
      However long I want, in the beginning he would get a few marks on the back of his legs but they easily come off with a magic eraser.

In full outfit, I don't like to see him unclothed and looking cold all the time. Plus sharing a room with my sister, I don't think she wants to see him naked so much. I do need to get underwear for him since his pants slip right off his but.
      It's all light but I make him dress in layers.
      30% worried, not too worried, it's the combination of the dark lint and hot glue suede that sticks together possibly staining the joints is what I'm worried about but so far there's very little cleaning.
      I haven't gotten any jean material as of yet.
      If the weather is hot, I'm more likely to find some staining but washing the clothes helps.

11. Just a suggestion, if you are worried about a fabric or an outfit staining the doll.
      I always make my own clothes for my dolls and I will usually wash the new fabric before I pattern it and sew it.
      Or you could wash the clothes after they are made. If premade you can wash the clothes by hand in some mild detergent such as dishwashing soap. Let them soak a bit, rinse them thoroughly and set them out flat to dry on paper towels or other white cloth. Hopefully this helps someone avoid stains. :)

12. My boy stays in his clothes all the time. Luckily, I've never had staining even with the dark clothes he wears. When my girls body(Volks DDdy vinyl) comes in however, I'll probably be a bit more careful about it. I've had vinyl get some pretty horrible stains.

13. I make all of my own doll clothes, so if I am working in a dark or bright color, I just line everything in white. My Elfdoll Mir is ( he tells me) a reincarnation of Ramesses II, so for everyday and storage he wears a plain white linen kilt but he is too vain to leave off his Egyptian collar necklace. If you don't like to leave your doll naked, and want to preserve his dignity you might consider a white shirt and khaki pants. I left one of my dolls stored in such an outfit for 3 months... no sign of staining. I do wash and dry all fabrics in the hottest temperatures possible before sewing it into doll clothes.

14. My dolls are always in various states of undress. When they are clothed, however, they could be in those clothes for months. I really don't worry about staining at all.

The only time I worried about staining was when I had an obitsu 1/3 girl and that was only because she was vinyl.

Any staining that has resulted from dark and/or colorful clothes has always been taken care of with a magic eraser.

15. I tend to change their clothes when I have made something new for them to wear. I've made a huge wardrobe for my Sleethwelth Briar so she changes her clothes more often than others. Right now I'm on a knitting kick so new clothes evolve more slowly. The only staining I've experienced is with a second hand body that had been blushed -- the MSC (or whatever was used) coating was stained from a black outfit but it was easily removed.

16. When you store them or just have them sit around for long periods of time, do you keep them in just their underwear, or a full outfit?
      I don't really store them, they sit on shelves, and always fully dressed. I don't even have enough underwear for my dolls, my four girls have some, which they wear under dresses and skirts but I have about 30 boys and they own one pair of underwear between them, and it's only because my first doll arrived in it. I believe it's in a drawer right now...
      Some of them change clothes often, some never.

Do you make sure their outfits are light?
      Nope. Most of my dolls wear dark clothes all the time.

To what degree do you worry about clothes staining your dolls?
      I don't. At all. Staining from clothing is almost always going to be easily removed with a magic eraser, some rubbing alcohol or sometimes even water. It's nothing more than a slight pain in the ass. The only time I had a real issue is when my Thinking Kara Klum (NS not WS) had the unfortunate job of being Snape at a Harry Potter themed meet. He looked awesome, and I left him in his snape clothes for like...a month or more. He is fully blushed, tattooed and scared over his body, meaning he's covered head to toe in tons of MSC. The clothing did pretty much turn him black everywhere. I was able to get most of it off however...though it took work. around his scarring he still looks dirty :P but since he's fully clothed 95% of the time, and no one ever sees it, who cares.

Do all dark clothes stain, no matter the material?
      No. I have a lot of black clothing...mostly from Anotherspace and Dollmore and none of them stain. I have a pair of Dollheart pants that stained, but I cleaned it off. I do have a pair of dark jeans from Dollmore that stain but again, I clean him and he's fine. I soaked those in vinegar and they seem to be better now....

How long would one estimate a dark piece of clothing have to be on a doll before staining of the resin is apperant?
      All it takes is the act of putting them on for them to rub off on your doll. I've tried stuff on for seconds and had it "stain". Some stuff only stained after being left on forever.

17. My dolls are dressed all the time, and change clothes every month or so, and have no stains.
      What if I get scared a little, is the stain of wigs that are more difficult to remove.

18. When I got my first doll, I changed him every week. Now it's once every few months. This reminds me to change them into lighter clothing as it's now spring =) Initially I was worried about stains too but they are removable so it's ok in the end. Also, if they're wearing dark jeans or something like that, I have a layer or protective pants underneath to prevent dark stains.

19. Though one of my dolls would be perfectly happy to sit around naked, I keep my dolls dressed. Just have to be careful and make sure the clothing you have doesn't stain and if it looks like it might, after a short time, change your doll into something else maybe? Like an outfit you know won't stain him or her :)

20. I just got my doll a month ago and he still wear his old clothes i brought for him. I only brought one outfit because it was so expensive. I'm thinking about make him more clothing in summer when i time.