1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How long do you keep clothes on your BJDs?

May 2, 2011

1. ~ When you store them or just have them sit around for long periods of time, do you keep them in just their underwear, or a full outfit?
      When I move and have to store my dolls, they are butt-naked with lots of bubblewrap and a facecover, staying that way until I am ready to unbox them. In terms of sitting around for long periods of time, they`re wearing clothing for dignity. All my girls haven`t stained, and my boys whose pants unfortunately did stain them got scrubbed lightly with a magic eraser and there`s no more worries.

~ Do you make sure their outfits are light?
      Nope. I chose outfits that are appealing to them- which could mean dark colored clothing.

~ To what degree do you worry about clothes staining your dolls?
      I really don`t. There`s nothing a good rub of Magic-eraser and Mr. Thinner can`t do- even erase Sharpies sometimes.

~ Do all dark clothes stain, no matter the material?
      I would say no. There`s some black outfits my dolls have been wearing and haven`t stained. The ones that seem like they do stain are the thicker fabrics to me.

~ How long would one estimate a dark piece of clothing have to be on a doll before staining of the resin is apperant?
      I wouldn`t know. Though Humidity may take part in it.

2. I always throw any new dark clothes for the boys in the washer before they ever get to wear them (or hand wash them if the material's really delicate), so staining has not been that much of an issue, even if I leave them in their outfits for a few weeks or even months.
      I do check every once in a while though, ever since I've had a pair of black pants on one of my boys, that didn't seem to stain at all at first, until I took them off a few weeks later and discovered that his whole legs were a marvelous mix of black, grey and blue. That was definitely not fun to remove, and by no means easy.

Luckily, the majority of the dolls I own now mostly wear very light clothes by default anyways.

3. I haven't changed my boys in almost a year now. :x But that is because I've been in a busy time and don't have time to pay attention to them...

But I used to change them more often, but maybe... about 2-3 times a month? They always wear quite a bit of black, so I am surprised they don't have any stains.

4. I don't really worry about stains. My dolls just wear whatever I feel like dressing them with and so far, barely any stains. The few stains I did have were easily washed off and magic eraser does micacles.

5. I have hearsd that jeans stain horribly. I personally never had such problem, but some people wash dark clothings and jeans especially before putting them on dolls. However, the stains are washable with thinner. Don't worry too much though ;)

6. I keep my dolls in the same clothes all the time. I don't worry about stains from clothes because I can easily clean them up. They are my dolls and I won't ever sell them so as long as I am happy with their condition then it doesn't matter.

7. I switch outfits a lot - I've not noticed any of the jeans staining. I've had some black pants stain a bit (easy to remove) & a pair of dark red fake ostrich skin pants OMG stained so bad & tried to stick to the resin - I got THAT photo shoot done & those pants will NEVER be on any of my dolls again!!! The staining came off however. My Harry's wig has stained his hairline (just where he has a faceup ie MSC is stained) but you can't see it w/the wig ON so I could care.

8. ~ When you store them or just have them sit around for long periods of time, do you keep them in just their underwear, or a full outfit?
      He was in storage about 5 years in a black shirt and paints. He has been in the same shirt and pants for 9 years. Because of the way he is painted, I don't think staining will be an issue...

For the doll I just order, I did buy a completely white outfit, because she has an odd skin tone and I don't want to worry about staining.

Never thought about it until this new one that will be coming.

Not sure of resin, I have found the dark blue/purple clothes on Equestrian Girl plastic dolls, have stained.

~ How long would one estimate a dark piece of clothing have to be on a doll before staining of the resin is apparent?
      No idea... :nowords::clover

9. I keep my dolls in a mostly white outfit when I'm not taking them anywhere.

10. ~ When you store them or just have them sit around for long periods of time, do you keep them in just their underwear, or a full outfit?
      I keep them fully dressed. It is silly but I think they are more comfortable that way.
      Not at all, I choose outfits according to their style and I don't really worry about staining. Fortunately, any of my characters wears only black clothing, they have more of a casual style.
      Well, I'm aware of staining, so I usually do a wash to the clothing that might stain. But as someone stated earlier, there is nothing a good rub of Magic-eraser can't fix.
      I don't think so. I have this black tank top and it doesn't stain at all but lets go tiny black particles like dust O.o
      ~ How long would one estimate a dark piece of clothing have to be on a doll before staining of the resin is apperant?
      No idea, sorry!

11. My dolls basically stay in their clothes until I decide to change those clothes, or if I restring them/clean them, which I do periodically. I used to keep my boy naked in his box, but I enjoy him (and Cat) much better when they are out and I can admire them while I'm puttering around in my room.

12. ~ When you store them or just have them sit around for long periods of time, do you keep them in just their underwear, or a full outfit?
      I always keep them dressed, as it would take too long and be inconvenient to dress and undress each time I pull one out.
      Nope, I pick whatever works best for the doll and the character.
      I'm not really worried at all. I just check them once and awhile and clean with a magic eraser if there has been any "staining", but so far it's not been permanent.
      No, I don't think so.
      I suppose it depends on the material and how much excess dye is in the material. My Dollshe boy has been wearing black underwear for about 2-3 years and just recently I noticed that there were black "stains" by his legs, but it was quickly fixed with a magic eraser.

13. I've only had her for about a month and a half, but so far I'll try to switch her clothes every few days or so. I usually try to keep her in lighter clothes unless I'm about to take pictures or something. Now that I'm sewing stuff for her it's gonna be various colors as far as fabrics go, but I do plan on making her some white socks and underwear first and I'll see if that helps prevent staining.

Of course, after being so careful about clothes and sitting location, it turned out the wig left a few marks on her back and there's a random tiny blue spot on her foot that I have no clue how it got there. :doh so now I'll have to figure out how to get that out; the wig is light pink so I think it took me awhile to notice cause in some light it blends right in.

14. I am NOTORIOUS for only having one outfit (eyes, wig, clothing) per doll. This is something I hope to be better at...

15. Too long, haha. My Saber's butt and feet can attest to this, unfortunately. Black clothes and white vinyl do not mix...I'd love to change it up more, but, unfortunately, the money.

16. My dolls have been wearing their clothes for a long time. They are wearing white undergarments and I do inspect them from time to time for staining but i'm not that concerned really. I admit I can't be bothered with the hassle of undressing them and leaving them bare for a duration of time before re-dressing them again. As I do check them over periodically i'm not anxious that any staining would be able to get out of hand. None of my dolls are stained. Once one of them had on red faux suede boots, I took them off and found the dye had permeated through to her white stockings but hadn't transferred to the doll and all I had to do was handwash the stockings and the marks came out. I did get rid of the shoes after though lol.:XD: It seems some clothes/shoes are more prone to staining than others so it's best just to examine your doll every so often so you can nip it in the bud if you notice that some colour staining is taking place.

17. I only keep them dressed if the clothes are white, be ause somehow, most of my dolls are white skin Otherwise, the poor kids are left naked. Only exception being my tan doll who is wearing a beige dress.

18. I make most of my doll clothes, and I wash all fabric beforehand as a general rule. Especially as most of the fabric comes from second-hand clothes. So there's no fear of staining most of the time. My dolls are also changing clothes once a week as I slowly make them new clothes. I did have a pair of jeans I bought that stained so I put them in the washing machine a few times and they're fine now.

19. I haven't had clothes stain a doll before, but it's happened with a black wig. I don't worry about it.

20. I keep all of my dolls out and visible, and usually they are fully dressed unless I'm in the middle of a project with them. I don't worry about stains because I do my own blushing, and I've never had a stain so bad that magic eraser can't get rid of it. If it means wiping the blushing, it's not that bad to redo it.