1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How many dolls are enough?

Dec 27, 2019

1. 40! I’ve sworn to my husband I’m making a hard stop at 40 for all 1/6 size and above (of course he just rolled his eyes at me in response.) But I really feel I’ve finally reached my limit now that I’ve ordered my last few remaining. characters. Certainly this seems like a very high number, and I don’t have any idea how this happened over the years. I do like doing the face ups and the tattoos, and designing outfits, not to mention creating characters...so I blame my own creativity for bringing it all so far. But to me, each one is like a friend and I enjoy just having them around, so they won’t be going anywhere.:) But even I can sense when enough is enough, and I’m very much out of room these days. Anything super tiny though (1/8 or 1/12) is still a possibility however.

#21 PoeticSoul, Dec 28, 2019
      Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    2. I don't really have a limit either. My current plans will get me up to 10 dolls and after that we'll see what happens.

My dolls are more display items and models than characters at the moment so I don't really have the limit I see a lot of others here have. I'm fine with having multiple dolls in need of ...practically everything. I'll get there someday and fortunately the dolls aren't complaining about the wait :lol:

3. I currently have 15 dolls, consisting of 13 full (almost) and 2 heads, and I’m happy with that number, but I’m hoping to shell a few more OCs yet! I think that’s my biggest problem, I don’t have space atm, but I have so many OCs that I love and I want to shell so many of them that physically I have to have a limit for now, but ideally I’ll go as long as I happen to go. Maybe I’ll end with 20 dolls, maybe 30, possibly even 100, but as long as my OCs keep growing, I’m not letting my love of shelling them stop either

4. I personally don't have a limit. If it feels like "too many," I'll find a way to cut back, but currently the only reason I sell a doll is because, for one reason or another, it's just not working for me. Numbers don't play into it. For me, the joy in it is in the customization, and I have all kinds of ideas to realize that wouldn't work well if I had any kind of "hard cutoff."

5. when i first joined the hobby i felt like i would never own anymore than 10, but now that i've been here for 2 years i feel that there isn't a specific limit i could set for myself. eventually i know i'll reach a point where i feel like i have enough dolls, but until then i'll just keep collecting to my heart's content!

the only real limits i have at this point are space... and money.

6. "All the shine of a thousand spotlights
      All the stars we steal from the nightsky
      Will never be enough
      Never be enough
      Towers of gold are still too little
      These hands could hold the world but it'll
      Never be enough
      Never be enough"

7. That answer is different for everyone. My own limit is less a hard number and more of a, “Will it fit in the cabinet without me having to sell someone?” I don’t like the collection to get any bigger than what I can put behind glass away from inquisitive kittens.

8. I think that is so different for everyone. I have a few characters I want to shell, which realistically is what got he in this hobby xD, but I also don’t have space for all of them that I want. Luckily, thus far, I need an oc in order to get a doll. I have yet to see a doll and just want to make a character for it. So I guess that time will come when I’ve shelled maybe 5 or 6 of them! But I don’t plan to limit myself. I might make some in msd as well as sd, the possibilities here are too endless to set a strict limit I think!

9. I totally agree with you. My limit is the space I have in my room. I have more than 40 dolls, not only BJDs. Sometimes I think that are too many and that I should sell some.
      But when I look at them one by one I like them all and I couldn't get rid of any. I love to enter my room and see them all although I can not always spend the time that I would like to have them all as I like

10. So far I've only bought secondhand and in-stock dolls. Maybe someday I'll take the plunge and have a doll newly made just for me, but while I love looking at new sculpts and features and trying to either come up with characters that would fit them or see existing characters in that sculpt, nothing has 100% clicked yet. (I have learned to never say never in this hobby, though!) A lot of my collection has grown because I see a doll that I think might work as a friend/sibling/someone else in an existing doll's world...but sometimes I get that doll and they don't fit that "role" at all. I seem to have the easiest time bonding with my secondhand dolls, even if I have yet to figure out who they might be - something in them planted a seed of creativity in my mind, though some of them grow and develop more slowly than others. Some dolls I've had for a couple of years now and am still figuring out who they might be, or reinventing who they might be, but that's okay! I do become overwhelmed when I have too many dolls without ideas. That prompted me to rehome some dolls since I had learned that while they were nice dolls, they weren't for me.

I guess you could say that "enough" to me is less a number and more an instinct.

#30 Rakonto, Jan 18, 2020
      Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    11. I don't have a limit just keep aware of money and if I really love them. I would own much more dolls if dollar wasn't so expenssive.

12. I truly don't know anymore. I once thought I'd stop at 20, but I kept getting more and more home as the years passed. I'm not too bothered if I don't regularly pick each one of them up and do something with them, I enjoy just as much simply sitting/standing looking around the room they're in and just marvel at them all. I think, but not sure at all, that I will stop when I hit triple digits. I think.

13. No present limit, but I'm thinking maybe 6. That's the number I've got currently, and I say that number because there's not a lot of room where I am presently and they're sitting around [I wouldn't say 'ignored', though].

I am looking at refreshing my collection this year and next, actually. Moving on a few that just don't gel with the rest and bringing in one or two that I really want. I do want to thin out my collection as well, so I can concentrate on a few and share my time equally. Maybe, one or two of each main size; SD+, MSD, YoSD. Possibly, a boy and girl in each of those sizes. SD+, I'm sorted with my Dollshe Saint and Impldoll Azalea. I've got a BJD Gravity boy on layaway, and he's likely to be my only doll this year for financial reasons [unless the situation changes and I find I can afford a MSD girl of similar size to go with him]. Then, perhaps, a pair of YoSDs next year. We'll see...

If I'm honest, I do find my current collection [consisting of 5 SD+ dolls and an MSD I just haven't connected with] a little overwhelming, even for the minimal amount I have. The dolls are a little big, even though I do enjoy the comfort in their weight and size. I've kind of gone back to the Barbie-size dolls this year, with the release of Mattel's BTS line, and I do like the smaller feel. It takes me back to my childhood of playing with Barbies. I don't feel confident in taking the bigger dolls out with me, but an MSD [and especially a YoSD] would fit easier in a backpack that can be slung over my shoulder, and I could go to the beach or the park with them for cute photoshoots. I'd feel happier going to meet-ups. That's why I bought the MSD I have, but I just didn't gel with him when he arrived. So, he's been chilling in his box for the last few months.

Who knows, really! I might finally find that I really enjoy the dinkiness of YoSDs and end up with an army of them, as each of them won't require as much space as an individual SD would on the shelf!!

14. I will have reached my limit when I have gotten all the dolls on my wishlist and I stop falling in love with newly released dolls and I do not see that happening anytime soon.

15. I used to want a small amount of dolls, and then I decided to shell characters from a story I wrote ASIDE from just having my whimsically put together dolls, so now... I'm at 14 dolls, if I count floating heads and dolls on the way. I can even see my collection growing in years to come. And I'm okay with that. Sometimes I give more attention to one doll than the other, but they're all well loved.

#35 dancingkitsune, Jan 20, 2020
      Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    16. Well, I have been in this hobby for about12 years. I have 20 full dolls, 6 floating heads and 4 full dolls and a floating head (darn those Dollshe sales) on layaway. There are still more on my wishlist. So, I guess as long as I can find room for them they will keep coming home.

17. I'm happy with my soon to be five. My three bigger ones(lol bigger, my biggest is still a tiny) don't get played with as much as my puki's. But I see them everyday and they make me happy.
      I also tend to play with my bigger dolls in the summer. It snows a lot in the winter here and I don't have indoor set ups yet.

18. Like most people here, I don’t have hard limits. I’m happy with my two - soon to be three, less soon to be four, contingent on actually finishing Amara. But I’m sure I’ll find other dolls to fall in love with over time! I suspect it’ll eventually become a problem, because I never get rid of anything, but I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.

19. It is a difficult question, and I asked my self but got no answer...I guess my answer to this question would be " no limit". Currently i have 8 big boys and I am planning for some boys in this year. I don't know for sure how many I will add to my family, at least 2 I know. Now I still have 2 bodies to be matched with heads which I am still looking for. Maybe I will sell one body, I don't know...

I felt my thoughts are all mingled. In a summary, I will see how things are going, hahaha, with some financial controls.

20. I have decided to only shell eleven of my characters from my story, and currently, I have four at home an two on layaway.
      But I've decided that my total hopefully will be twelve. I want a cute non-character girl, who can wear big dresses that I could never use for my characters. :)