1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How many dolls are enough?

Dec 27, 2019

1. At most I've had 12 dolls. Right now, though, I have 7 and it's a decent number. My tentative doll plans at the moment will inevitably bring it up to 16 if I manage to complete all of them, though that's a long way off and those plans may change. Personally, I think less than 20 is going to be where the number naturally falls, but we'll see. If I manage to get good at anime faceups there will be no hope for me.

2. I don't know if I can have too many. Right now I have 10 dolls in my possession, but I have 10 more on the way. It's crazy to think that I'll have a total of 20 dolls, but there are still so many more dolls I want that I can't imagine stopping any time soon (especially with so many new gorgeous sculpts coming out everyday). The main thing I'm worried about is having the space to keep all the boxes in my apartment, but my fiance and I are working on buying a house right now, so hopefully that wont be too big of an issue soon. I like dolls to look at and customize, so I don't feel the need to constantly work and play with them, especially once I get them to a point I'm happy with. Once I have a doll to my liking, I'm happy to prop them up on my shelf and admire them until I want to change them again.

3. Hmmm. I think that only time, and maybe space, have the answers to this question.
      And I’m sure that you can make so much space in a room for dolls.

4. At first I spend one month looking for the perfect doll, cause it’s an expensive hobby, and I want the perfect match for a character, I didn’t want to regret my decision and have to buy another one.
      So I finally bought one. I thought she was perfect, but the next day the same company released a new cast and… she was awesome too. So I bought it too so the first one have company…
      I said “this is enough” and half year later I discover Supia and I felt in love again… story continues…
      And now I have 9 dolls.
      So… once you start here… maybe there is no limit.

5. I don't have a limit. I'll continue to collect dolls until I run out of room for them. Unfortunately for my wallet I'm really good at making space for more dolls! :sweat

6. I am a packrat, so it is a constant battle between more dolls, more art supplies (often for the dolls), and more books.

I am at 15 resin BJDs, soon to be 16 as I have a new boy ordered.

I tried to get myself to collect slower by saying I will sculpt my own BJDs, but I still bought some new dolls.

I think I am at around my limit for 60-70cm sized dolls. I miiiigggghhhhttt add one more 1/3 gal.

7. i remember when i joined the hobby i thought 5 would be a nice amount.
      now im at 14 with 2 extra heads. finally im feeling satisfied... but i suppose a few more would be nice also :XD:

8. My limit is how many I can display without looking cluttered which is a lot but I do want to set a limit so that it doesn’t become a hoard. I don’t want family members to have trouble selling them if something happens to me. It would be easy to sort the bjd but I have a lot of ot dolls too.

9. I haven't set a limit since my dolls haven't come in the mail yet but I doubt I'd own more than 10. :sweat I'm only interested in collecting larger dolls right now but I'm not sure where I would put a lot of them because I don't have much space. :,)))

Not to mention the prices of the 1/3 dolls and their clothes. :chomp: I'd like to give my dolls a lot of attention and gifts so keeping my collection limited is a must. :XD:

10. In 2020 this seemed like a lot of dolls

[​IMG]Doll squad 2020 by Indifferent Red, on Flickr

in 2022…

[​IMG]Group photo!! by Indifferent Red, on Flickr

Now we’re here. And I have 2 dolls on preorder, and a handful of floating heads that need bodies. And a couple that were being modded when I took this that I couldn’t string for pics! So I don’t try to make rules about quantity because we know I won’t adhere to them…

11. Never enough

12. I Know its different for everyone. i have 5 full dolls and 5 floating heads that need bodies with 2 more dolls on layaway lol its hard. i think i am going to slow down after i get some of the floating heads bodies.

13. I don't really have a limit, but i guess maybe 3. I have other things frivolous things i like to spend my money on and bjds aren't really my main priority. Plus, I always find myself missing out on sculpts i really love.

14. I have four right now, and while there's a body I would seriously consider grabbing if for some reason Dream Valley brought them back for an event....I am not really feeling the itch to get another one. I love my little group and the stories they've given me together and. I think I'm good. I see other dolls, new dolls, and I might go "OOOO pretty! But I don't have the "MUST HAVE NAOW" burning inside.

Which rather confuses me, because I'm definitely one of those people who goes hard and deep for things and hoards. But I don't want to with the BJDs. I just want to spoil the children I do have xD

15. I have too many dolls now. I am trying to slow down and buy less, so I can actually get my dolls somewhat finished. No i have no limit or self control. I'm trying to work on that. Now I am only trying to buy my favorite brands and only the ones I truly love the most. I ended up buying so many I missed out on some dolls I wanted more than the previous dolls I bought.

16. I had 7 for years, then a sculpt I'd always wanted for my OC was on sale ready to stop being sold, so it edged up to to 8.

Then lockdown happened and my commuting costs morphed into dolls... 2 dolls I'd been extremely fond of (and casually looking for) for around 14 years came up secondhand by chance and I jumped at the chance to have them as neither are every common. That lead me to decide after 15 years appreciating another doll I should just buy her while I could before she becomes one I have to wait for 14 years for!

I used to think my limit should be keep them under 10 and I'm now at 11 so not far over. I think it's a very individual and a personal thing and also that the timing is everything.

If you have been admiring a doll for 14 years and it comes up for sale, it can change your mind!

17. I do not have a limit set because I know I will not be able to stick to it.
      So if I start to feel overwhelmed with the number I have I will let a few go.

18. I agree not to limit yourself but as long as one can afford it! I am constantly re-evaluating my collection to see what needs to be moved out though. I think one should always look for getting the most enjoyment out of their collection.

19. My self imposed limit is thirty, I have twenty three complete dolls at the moment, with three incoming. But I also have a box of heads (mainly Minifee). It’s difficult when I see new sculpts that I fall in love with, but as I still have a bit of wiggle room I am not panicking yet! I have also sold a few that didn’t work out for me, so they’ve sat around the early to mid twenties mark for a while.

20. I think for me it's mostly about space, and being able to store them all properly when they aren't being played with/displayed. So in my current living situation, until we move into a bigger apartment, I think my cap is going to 6 or 7. But once we move and I have a more dedicated office space/hobby room I'm not sure there will be a limit anymore :lol: