1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How many dolls are enough?

Dec 27, 2019

1. Right now I have 11, with one floating head whose body has been ordered. I'm pretty content with this number! I don't get that string NEED urge for beautiful sculpts anymore, and I can now focus all my doll guns on perfecting their customizations.

2. Before I had any dolls, I always knew I wanted only one. Actually before I seriously started researching the hobby, I was under the impression most people only had one or two dolls (especially since they're so expensive). It really amazed me when I saw the large collections people have! Now I have my doll and I still stand by my one doll policy. I would be too overwhelmed by a large collection. If I ever did get another doll, it'd probably be a cocoriang peppi or some other off topic animal like doll to act as a pet for my current doll but I have no desire to get another human/human-like doll. Currently I am content and not planning on purchasing another doll any time soon but who knows what the future holds for me. :)

3. I thought I'd be satisfied with one, then two, and the most I've had is 5 at a time. I do feel like the more I have the harder it is to get clothes for all of them and give them equal care. But I love my dolls <3

4. My limit is my cabinet space :lol:
      Once there's no room for dolls anymore I can't buy more of them.
      I currently have 6 and my cabinet has room for 8 so after that I'm good.

But seriously I'd say it's certainly enough when none of them is totally forgotten. Equal care isn't realistic since I have favorites, but if I just kinda forget some exist then I have too many.

5. Depends on how much shelf space in available. To me, 40 of all sizes, feels like enough. I only have so much free time to photograph them and for them to inspire my writing. The more I have the more over whelping it gets

6. I started with one doll. That rapidly increased to 8:sweat So far I adore each of them dearly, including one MAD I tried to sell and later got attached. But I still miss the idea of having only one (or two) bjd. I also have Barbie Chelsea for one of my doll. One non-bjd fox and awaiting for one bjd baby Capybara. No one warmed me dolls themselves won’t be end of it even if you’re done adding doll to collection:nosebleed I still have an urge to let someone go because I feel like I have too many for myself but not sure who or when. :sweat

7. For now, my three is more than enough with all the customization work I'd like to do on them along with clothes buying :3nodding:

I feel like some new released or LE release could change my mind pretty easily, though.

8. i have 11 full dolls and 7 floating heads with a possible other one on the way bdvcvvcb idk when ill stop as running out of room hasnt slowed me down just forced me to get more creative with placement

9. My rule is if I ever get to the point where can't display more for lack of room then I can't buy any more dolls. Mind you I am VERY good at making space for new dolls and it's not happened yet. :P

10. Right now I'm only willing to buy a doll if I have a specific wardrobe mapped out for her beforehand. I currently have 3 wardrobes all planned out (1950's, 1970's, Nutcracker ballet), and I'm working on two more (1890's, 1920's). So theoretically that caps me at 5? But one doll could share multiple wardrobes, so I might end up with even fewer...

11. My limit was 12 and I now have about 25 in my collection. I want to downsize a bit but I’m at the point where I feel like I am quite happy with my dolls that I have and I don’t feel the need for more like I did when I was first in the hobby. I think when you start in the hobby you can get excited and overwhelmed by the amount of choices that are available but you will slowly learn what you like vs what you don’t and build your collection around that. But yeah sometimes I still get the want feeling :blush

12. I go less off of how many, and more off of oc's I love the most. From the looks of it my collection will stop at 9-10 (+ floating heads for alternative expressions.)
      It makes things a lot more exiting for me if I really care a lot about the characters the dolls are based on.

13. i dont remember whatever i said in the past but now that i collect msd and not only tiny dolls it is changed.
      limit 8 msd!! im already at 6 less than a year into them. yike

14. I have 10 right now . . . and I've only been in the hobby for a little over a year lmfao.
      There are two (maybe three) that I got early on and am planning to sell, though, so that'll trim it down a bit.

I'd like to keep my collection relatively small. I've obtained all of my current grails at this point, so I'm not planning on buying any more super soon! I just wanted to get my nasty hands on all the ones I just HAD to have. Now that I've done so, I can focus on getting/making more clothes and accessories for them, settling on their individual looks. Might get some little furniture for them and whatnot . . . generally work on my doll photography!

I KNOW I'll come across more dolls that I'll absolutely fall in love with in the future, too! But I'd really like to keep my collection in the 10–15 range ideally!

. . . [smash cut to me with like 30 dolls a year from now]

15. I set myself a limit of 4 and now have 5, which definitely feels more than enough for me. It's actually beginning to get a little overwhelming to get everyone enough clothes and accessories!

In a perfect world where I'd have tons of space, I might expand into having a few 1/3 dolls in addition to my 1/4 crew but as it stands right now, this will be a long way down the road. But under 10 in total, certainly!

16. Updating my reply, a bit more than a year later...

I have 7 dolls at home currently + two more in production -- total 9 dolls, and I feel that I've reached a "enough, for now" threshold. In fact, I'm planning to cull one doll from the collection, and am wondering if another one might go later.

My "enough" limit is absolutely a mental one... I make characters for all my dolls, and right now my head is full of those 8 characters (sans the one who'll be culled). Any more characters feels overwhelming to think about right now -- which has the side benefit of making me not want to buy new dolls either. Who knows, maybe I'll make room in my head later and then the collection will grow again. But right now, I have enough resin and I'd love to keep my collection in the single digits!

17. I haven't set a limit for myself yet--my collection is currently at 7 (on-topic) dolls with 2 more on the way. I figure I'll need to set some kind of limit eventually, but for the time being I'm having fun exploring different sculpts and finding dolls I enjoy. :)

18. I originally thought one would be enough. I couldn't have been more wrong... I currently have 9 dolls (8 SDs), 1 floating head and 1 head on the waitlist. My limit has been at 21 dolls since my story began.

19. It feels like setting a limit on myself has just sort of guaranteed I'll blow right past it. I originally thought I'd never want more than 5, then told myself no more than 10. I decided to just not set a limit after that and sure enough I've managed to stay under 20. I do think too many more would start to feel over whelming to me. I think if I did more with them day to day I'd want to keep a smaller number.

I guess the one hard limit I've found is I want to be able to display all of my dolls. If I can't display them I don't really want to get more until I've found a new spot for them to live which did stop me from really buying any dolls in a few years ago.

20. "I'm overwhelmed! I'm overwhelmed!!" I scream as I plan another new doll :roll: