1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How Many Dolls Did You Buy Your First Year?

Aug 21, 2011

1. I'll just go by the first 'year' so 2007... I bought...19. But only 15 of them arrived/were completed that first year. And actually I think there were more then that, but that's of the dolls that I still have. I went a bit doll crazy that first year. I have gradually slowed down over the years. My dolls are rarely ever 'complete', and I do not let such affect my ordering additional/new dolls. I justify that if I buy the doll NOW when it's for sale/expecially if on sale or an LE, I'll be saving money from the evil second hand market inflation.

2. wow I started with this hobby in January (this year) and I have 5 dolls at home, and I'm waiting for 2 dolls more. Ah! and I wait for a combined order with a dealer for buy a limited doll
      At home, I have 5 dolls, but 3 of them are not "complete", because the 2 SD are waiting for makeup, and my yosd is waiting for her wig and her eyes ^^
      I know that is soon, but... I don't know if I will buy more dolls before January xD

3. I bought only one. I'll complete my second one after two years and a half of buying my first one.

4. I had to go look up my transaction history because I honestly couldn't remember.:sweat

Counting 12 months from when I bought my first doll
      apparently in my 1st year I bought 3 1/2 dolls (3 full dolls & 1 body)

and just for fun because I was curious about how my buying has compared over the years I figured it out for the following years too:
      2nd year bought 5 but sold 4 1/2
      3rd year bought 1 1/2 sold 2 1/2
      4th year bought 2 sold 1
      5th year so far bought 1 sold 1

and that's where I'm at currently :whee:
      got 2 more mos. until my 5th anniversary of being a BJD collector!
      With the exception of having to wait for a head or body to become available in a couple cases I pretty much have tried to complete each new doll before buying another.

5. Four and a half, counting a head. My Delf El, Cutie Delf (Not counting his sleeping head), Kid Delf Ttori, Delf Shiwoo, and a Dreaming El head. The head arrived before my El, my Ttori's body was bought seperately so his head came with my Shiwoo. I think they arrived in January 06.

6. I ended up buying 2 more. The first was in July then October then November. The short timing between the 2nd and 3rd probably wouldn't of happened if I hadn't seen the limited boy on Dolkot :sweat Then I had to hid them both for a long time before I let my mum find out!

7. by the end of my first year i had 2, which arrived in within about a week and a half of each other... both were completed before i purchased more - they remain to today my favorites :33

8. My first, Rika, was completed in May '10 (I had bought the head and body separately, though not that far apart). Yumeko arrived at my house that December. So to answer the question, two, though of course I plan to get more. My main problem, of course, is my eyes are far bigger than my wallet ^_^;

9. My one-year anniversary was just this month (the 11th) ^^ I have four dolls and a head. However, the first two were gifts and the head was a free event head with the second, so technically speaking I've only bought 2 ;) As for completeness, the first had his eyes and wig before the second came, I ordered a wig with the second and he happened to come with gorgeous eyes, but I'm thinking of getting more wigs so he can 'dye his hair' and the same eyes but smaller. The others are all incomplete.

10. I've been researching a while, but I got my first doll in June! I got a vinyl doll and I have 2 on the way with a head (those a resin) so I'm going to be having 4 with a floating head! :sweat lots of money

11. Let's see, I would have to say 3. Though the 3rd one barely made that deadline. I bought a 5stardoll Emma, then Pukifee Luna as Alice Fullset, and after that Littlefee Leah. Took me maybe 3 months between the first 2 and nearly a year before 3. I was really content after 2 and I was never completely content with 1. I think 3 is a keeper though. :)

12. I'ts my first year collecting and I've bough two so far. I got my first doll on Valentines Day and my second doll yesterday. I probably won't buy any other dolls for a year or so though because I'm saving up for an apartment in order to graduate without being up to my ears in student loans.

13. Considering I'm still in my first year... I have so far purchased four and still a few more to go. I really want that new 1/3 girl from FairyLand and I want a boy from IpleHouse.

14. I started my doll hobby in February 2011 ^^ and I am so madly in love with them.
      I am currently have 3 completed dolls at home. I am still waiting for 4 completed dolls to arrived and 4 heads. Not too sure if I will order any more this year or not since my wallet is quite empty at the moment.

My wallet was okay for a while until I discovered Soom monthly doll T__T.

15. How many dolls did you purchase in your first year of collecting?
      I brought two dolls.

Did you finish your first doll before buying more?
      Nope I am always looking for outfits for my dolls.

16. First year, I bought two, Amir and Loki, who are still my faves 3.5 years later! Though Loki has been upgraded. I technically got 3 dolls my first year, but I only bought Amir and Loki. The third was a gift and I no longer own her.

The second year, I got 4 more....which I also no longer have, with one exception.

The third year, I went doll crazy and bought far too many on impulse (at least 10, but I think it was closer to 15), sold old ones and bought more.

This year, I sold most of the impulse dolls from last year (only kept 4) and have been working on getting my collection where I really WANT it, not buying just to buy, but making sure to get dolls I really love and will want to keep.

17. My first year I bought 3 dolls, all SD-sized: my AoD girl and AA & Bb boys. They were purchased just a few months apart from each other (definately no waiting to "complete" one before the next for me XD; even today all my dolls are pretty much perpetual works in progress, and I'm up to 9 dolls now). After my third though I did spend a while discovering the joy of trial & error buying for their clothes/wigs/eyes (luckily these days I'm a lot more knowledgeable/discretionary about accessory buying than I was at the beginning), so it actually took two years for me to make another doll purchase (my Volks MSD).

18. How many dolls did you purchase in your first year of collecting?
      Are we going by calendar year? Because my entry into the hobby occurred in the early fall. I put my first doll on order (Bluefairy), but before it arrived, I bought a doll from someone on the secondary market, and that doll (Dollshe Hound) arrived before the company-bought one! Both did arrive before the end of the year.

If going by pure day count, then in that first year, after the two, for certain I bought an SD secondhand, and two MNF secondhand.

After that, it begins to blur....

Similarly, Did you finish your first doll before buying more?

My BF came from the factory perfect. I only changed his eyes. Even kept his default wig. The Dollshe also came with a wig I liked, and he had a custom faceup/body blushing (including the no-no bits) that I never considered removing. The later ones took a bit more tweaking, but since I've been a wigaholic/eyeaholic since the start, I always have options on hand. And unless the character is a tribute character, I tend to *click* with a doll's look pretty fast (or go insomiac trying).

19. I'm still in my first year and I have three at home, 2 heads (one body is on pre-order) and 2 more dolls on pre-order (one is expected to be home by the end of the home). Wow, did I fall in deep. :D

20. I got all the dolls that I currently own in the first two years of collecting. It seemed to happen so fast I kinda lost track of exactly how quickly I got them all but I wound up with 6 but 1 of them belongs to my daughter.