1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How Many Dolls Did You Buy Your First Year?

Aug 21, 2011

1. How many dolls did you purchase in your first year of collecting?
      I actually waited four months between my first and second doll. It wasn't that I wasn't satisfied with the first.. it's that I found other dolls that would be perfect for my other characters. I love all my dolls. I got three dolls my first year and three so far this year.

Did you finish your first doll before buying more?
      I didn't wait, no.. She's 'finished' now, but I had to build up the courage to send her out for a face-up to get her perfect and that took a while. My second doll, however.. was finished within a month of my getting her.. It's just easier to bring some characters together than others...

2. Except for body blushing I agree with this ^^Since I tattoo and faceup all my dolls myself and I don't body blush I just don't worry about that X3. But to be "finished" they need their standard eyes, wig, tattoos/peircings/scars/etc and one outfit X3 Of course faceups and tattoos change.

Thanks everyone for the great replies! I'm readinf through them all and I find some people buy 2-4 and some around 20 XD

I'm hoping to end my first year with three dolls and two heads if I get the one I want for my birthday ;)

3. I only bought one doll in 2006, and I was able to give her a face-up and everything that year. It wasn't until three or four years later that I REALLY got into the hobby.

4. Aiden arrived in January 2010, his body came a month later.
      I didn't get another doll until Chase's head came in June.
      August was when I got Ryuu, my first whole doll (yeah!).
      And It came full circle when I got Chase's body for Christmas.
      So three in my first year.
      I hope to keep up the streak because who really needs money in high school anyway? -mom screaming about how I'm not going to be able to pay to wash my clothes in college-

I do agree with the 'they're no finished until faceup, outfit, wig/eyes thing'. techinally only Chase is finished, since I've been slacking on Ryuu's faceup and Aiden can't get his redone until I get his brother... god knows when that'll happen.

5. I bought most of my dolls in about the first year and a half from when my first one arrived. I have sometimes been waiting for two at one time but never more than that. Since then, my buying has slowed down quite a bit. Now I may buy about one or two a year at most.

6. I'm a month in (give or take) so far, and...I already have ONE girl at home with me (DZ Demi) that I paid for in full last month. I put another, an IS boy, on layaway on MOC because IS was having a summer promo (sooo, my second/final payment on him comes up in a few weeks), AND I found, just this week, an old/very loved DZ Shoyo for sale on the MP, and of course I couldn't pass her by, so hell! She's on layaway, too, now! (Yay short jugging act of payments? xD;; At least Kahn won't actually BE here for a few months..) And I'm planning on asking my folks for a RS Song for Christmas this year.

So in total (so far), looking at four dolls in the span of five months or so? Which is funny because I swore (not only to myself, but to my partner, to my best friend) that I WOULD NOT buy any new dolls until a full year passed having Lenka with me. Oh well for that--I mostly wanna get the "bulk" of the hobby's buying (the buying of the actual DOLLS) done and over with before I move into my own place with my partner, and have more financial responsibilities. I know which ones I want, and which molds suit the characters I want to invest in--I just want to get them all, as soon as possible. :lol:

7. I bought 6 dolls in my first year in starting in May of 2005: Volks MSD Kohaku (assembled with faceup, eyes and wig from eBay), Pocket Fairy Minimay (2nd hand complete with extras), Volks MSD Hisui (assembled with faceup, eyes and wig from Volks Japan), Orientdoll So Ji (2nd hand complete with extras), Angel Fantasy Ari (fullset from eBay), and a BambiCrony Misty Rose Kumi (blank, had to get stuff for). So with each doll, I did have it complete before jumping to the next one. I had them pretty well spaced out and I still have them all.

I used to say in that first year that I would never buy a large doll that was SD and bigger but I broke that "rule" in 2007! LOL!

8. So far i've gotten two dolls, but hope to get two more before year's end (at least put one on layaway).

9. I bought one doll in the first year I was in the hobby. It was maybe a year and a half before I bought my second doll (I'm starting to get fuzzy, that was a long time ago). But that year I went sorta crazy. That's when I got most of the dolls that have stuck around, but then I've bought (and sold) a lot every year since then.

10. If I remember correctly I purchased 4 dolls and was gifted 1 doll my first year in the hobby. I did sell one that year as well (my first doll). So by the end of my first actual year in the hobby I had 4 dolls but had owned 5 I think. That was a while ago and my memory is a bit poor these days. I don't know that I could actually tell you how many dolls I've had in and out of my possession at this point, or when they all came and went.

11. How many dolls did you purchase in your first year of collecting?
      2 full dolls & 1 floating head (plus I get 1 more floating head for free 8D).

No, I won't ever finish with her, she's so demanding.. :lol:

12. My first year I bought my very first doll, AR Diana and received the AR Warrick head as a free event item. In that same year I purchase a Dollshe Saint face plate, a MNM head of Eric Northman/Alex Skarsgard and a Dollmore Pado, I also purchased a body for the Warrick head . . . I think . . . lol - I can't remember anymore when all my dolls came home unless I go look for their boxing opening pics.

13. I bought three dolls in my first year, a 60cm obitsu, an orientdoll so and a DZ Megi. They are still works in progress but when I first got them I wasn't sure who they were yet. Final wigs, clothing and eyes took a while to find.

14. I just got my first doll about 2 months ago and I am already trying to resist getting a second and a third.
      Hopefully I will be able to limit my count to one on my first year!
      And to think that I thought one would be enought…sigh...

15. Well, April will be my 1 year mark and so far I have 2! If I can manage it, I hope to have at least two more, maybe even 3. Though if my roommate ends up getting a few it might slow down my addiction for resin. ; )

16. In 2009, the first year, I got one (and not counting the one which belongs to my mother), which I completed the next year with eyes and wig and he's my beloved one.

The second year I got another one. He didn't have face-up nor wig, though he's complete now.

And this year I've got a head. I don't know when I'll get a body for her...

17. How many dolls did you purchase in your first year of collecting?
      My first year of collecting (2005-2006) was the period I got most of my BJD. 9 along a year, 10 with the BJD I got for my mom. After that I only got 4 new members more in my resin crew.

Basic things (Like eyes, wig, faceup and some clothes to wear) were already finished on my first BJD (By then only her tattoo was pending) by the time I ordered my second and third BJD.

18. I've to correct me... it's my first year on this hobby and now I've 6 dolls at home... and it's possible that I buy a zenith of soulldoll ^^U
      I think that I'll finish this year with 9 dolls O_OU

19. I ended up with... twelve? I think? o_0

Now, before anyone gets up in arms or has a metaphorical cow over that number, let me point out that my first year of collecting was also the year I discovered that those "spare" Dreaming and Sleeping heads that come with Delf "Specials" and limited dolls rarely end up staying spare for very long around here. Several of that total were secondary heads that ended up becoming members of the crew in their own right. And then there was that stray Nanuri freebie head... And yes. They were all finished as I got them.

I didn't set out with the intention of having a dozen little resin minions so quickly...
      It just sort-of worked out that way.

I'm glad it did. Of those first twelve, ten are still here. ^_^

20. My first year I only bought my one Ellie (MNF Soo) with her random eyes, wig, outfit, shoes, & even underwear in one purchase. I also bought the sleeping head with her which I then later swore not to buy any other dolls till I got that head her body.

This past 12 months I have bought 4. Which was very naughty of me and also what happened to my tax return and an other extra money this past year. I guess that is what happens when you become SOOMed.