1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How many of the same molds will you get?

Jul 6, 2011

1. I'm not a huge fan of doubles except in certain circumstances (like if I was making twins or mirror versions or something). Then again, my favorite company is Fairyland and there's a million different face plates for me to experiment with so I've been able to branch out in that aspect.

2. I feel like I could have multiples of most dolls I look at/own. I get so inspired by owner pictures, and take those ideas and run with them and create differences and personas in my head for each style I come across. I think I could possibly own, like, 10 of any one sculpt and have 10 distinct characters- that is by utilizing different skin tones, faceup, wigs, etc.

3. I don't really like to duplicate molds, but different eyes/hair/skin tone/face up can really make a mold look radically different. I am not super opposed to it as long as the dolls look different enough. I don't like having dolls that look almost or exactly alike.

4. I've only got one mold I MIGHT get another of--the minifee FLAM sculpt, which is my alltime favorite. But other than that, I really want to work on avoiding the same sculpt and having very diverse sculpts and bodies.

5. I thought I wouldn’t be interested in multiple face moulds but I do have two versions of the Iplehouse Bichun, albeit in two different sizes. I have an EID and an FID. I would love another EID Bichun in a darker skin tone than the current real skin version I own, when space and time permit.

6. Very interesting to see the many opinions.

Personally I don't think I would ever get a double intentionally unless the 2nd one was not for me. While you can manipulate the sculpt however you wish I don't think it is something I would be keen on.

7. Most of the time I stick to 2 at the most, 2 or more of the same skulpt is rare for me. Now with that said, I went way overboard on my favorite head mold and own 11:XD:

8. I wouldn't buy duplicates- unless I wanted to have identical twins or something lol

9. I don't think I would ever buy a duplicate. I can see myself buying closed eye and open eye sculpts, or the standard and "romance" sculpts, like Luts does sometimes. I really don't think I could do two identical sculpts though.

10. I would consider it. I’ve thrown some ideas around about doing some sort of “mirrored” concept—like a human version of a doll, and then a ghost version as well. I have far too many dolls on my wishlist to go through with it right now, but it’s still something I’ve thought about. Does the same sculpt in a different size count? I’ve wanted a Doll Chateau Bella for quite a while, and then when they released Mini Bella I fell in love with her too. I would love to have both even though they’re the “same,” but I also feel like their heights differentiate them.

11. I have bought duplicates in different colors, but I would not buy the same sculpt in the same color twice. I know some people love to do this, but it kind of seems like a waste of money to me. I noticed that duplicate sculptures in the same color seem to be quite frequent in the Dollfie Dream and Smart Doll circles. Anybody else notice this?

12. I tried duplicates in different colors a few years ago, but in the end I kept only one. Now I tried it again because I want to make twins and did not find two times the head in the same color (it's an OOS mold). One will be female and the other male. I may modified the female one for half-closed eyes, so they won't be 100% the same in the end.

13. I'm exactly the same! I try to have all my bjds with a different sculpt. And for my minifees, I only have one body to share with 2 heads :)

14. I’m so glad other people have multiple moulds! I have 4 OE elfdoll dami and 3 or 4 of the half closed eye one as well. I also have two of elfdoll Amy and two for oasisdolls yaoyue, Naomi and Linglan. Come to think of it, I have too many of the same moulds LOL but I love them!

15. The only one I really plan on buying the exact same sculpt is kinoko juice haine. I have her in mint and want to make a boy version in lavender. That's the only one though.

16. In my case, I am not planning to get a two or more mold of my girl. Except a really special one that made me enter to this hobby: Volks DDS Shimamura Uzuki.

I got Volks Shimamura Uzuki 2nd version last year and sold her 1st version, and found out that it's a very bad decision since I can't really let go of her 1st version. And she's really my first doll ever in my life so I got a really special feeling for her. Thus I'm looking to get her 1st version back right now lol.

17. I had 3 lunnula mods at one point. Haha. It’s my fave sculpt and I loved all of their faceups. I am parting with them all now though. I have 2 minifee that are the same and they’re twins. I probably won’t get more then one of the same doll again in the future :)

18. For the exact same sculpt in the same scale, I don't think I would want to own more than two, and only for a select few sculpts that are my absolute favorites. If the sculpt has some kind of alternate, like a human/fantasy or open/closed eye version, then I could stretch that to three, but I would only use that as an alternate head for a doll I already own, and not as completely new full doll. As much as I love my favorite sculpts, though, I don't want to have more dolls than I can handle, and if I'm going to get a new one I'd rather use my limited space to explore something new instead of something I already own.

Maybe one day in the future if I have the space and money I'll buy a duplicate sculpt of one of my favorites, but make them look completely different from the one I already own: ideally a different resin color, a different body, faceup style, even a different gender if the sculpt allows for it. I see a lot of people with identical twin dolls and the idea is so adorable to me, but I know I could never make it a reality in my own collection since any duplicate sculpts that I would own would look so different from each other that I doubt they could ever pass as twins!

19. I’m unintentionally going to be the owner of two of the same sculpt. :lol: With the first doll of that particular sculpt that I bought, I didn’t like the resin color when it arrived (which was only a week ago). So I’m ordering it again, just in a different color. I’m trying to sell the first one, but if I can’t sell it, I’ll just come up with a unique look for her.

TBH, I’m not a huge fan of the idea of owning doubles, because I don’t want a large doll collection (as of now, I have 5 dolls). With such a small collection, I want every doll to be unique.

20. I don't think I would get duplicates of the same mold intentionally. I enjoy having my dolls being identifiable from one another, I think it adds to their character and uniqueness. Having two or more of the same mold would just feel like I have a bunch of clones. Though maybe I'd make an exception if I wanted identical twins.