1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How much did you pay for your second hand doll?

Apr 10, 2017

?
  1. Less than half price of a new doll (0 - 50 %)

14 vote(s)
    12.6%
  2. More than half the price of a new doll (50 - 90 %)

25 vote(s)
    22.5%
  3. A bit less than the price of a new doll (90 - 100 %)

39 vote(s)
    35.1%
  4. Exactly the same as a new doll

6 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. A bit more than the price of new doll (100 - 110 %)

7 vote(s)
    6.3%
  6. Significantly more than the price of new doll (110 - 150 %)

6 vote(s)
    5.4%
  7. Up to double the price of new doll (150 - 200 %)

5 vote(s)
    4.5%
  8. I really have no idea/didn't check

9 vote(s)
    8.1%
    1. i usually look for price a bit lesser than original price, however, when it comes with a beautiful faceup or its in perfect condition, i may consider same or even a little bit higher :)

2. Looks like I'm one of the few to have paid less then half for their secondhand doll. But it certainly isn't as glamourous as it seems. I managed to snag myself a Darak Doll Remy off ebay for $151 which was amazing considering the fact that the original owner bought her with a face up and full body blushing for $420. However, she arrived to me yellowed, boxless, and certificateless (all of which I knew before hand, except for the lack of a box, this threw me off, but I got her in a Petswork box so I guess that's better then nothing). And as much as we all would love love love to buy second hand dolls for half the price, you're DEFINITELY going to make HUGE sacrifices for the price. Tbh even tho I love my girl I would have much preferred to pay more for a girl that came with a box and a certificate.

3. Less than half price of a new doll (0 - 50 %) x 1
      More than half the price of a new doll (50 - 90 %) x 3
      A bit more than the price of new doll (100 - 110 %) x 1
      Up to double the price of new doll (150 - 200 %) x 1

My out of pocket has ranged from 35% (or 12% if you do not count the cost of the head I was given as a gift) to 160% of a dolls original value. All of these dolls were out of production or no longer offered limited dolls.

I admit, at the time over paid the 160% one, but I was newer to the hobby and got scalped fiercely on that sale (seller did not even have the doll in hand yet from the person she bought the doll from... used other sellers photos... it was a huge mess). The doll would cost me about that much or more to replace today, so in the end it was an okay deal.

4. If I include my DD then almost all of my second hand purchases have been over the original selling price-- but that is because they are all the limited versions of the DD.

Otherwise, I have paid less than half the original price of the dolls for 4 dolls, all of them from local sellers that needed to downsize their collections for various reasons.

5. One time and one time only, I hit the 200% mark, even though his original selling price was pretty outrageous. Super rare, limited, sold out in hours, had never been out of the box, and a huge fullset consisting of a lot of complicated and beautifully made gear. I doubt I'll ever do that again...but I'd wanted him for ages and I just couldn't let the opportunity pass. Otherwise, I'll generally go maybe ten to twenty percent over for a limited, discontinued doll that I really want, if it's in great condition. I'd only be willing to pay less than the basic price for a non limited - although honestly, that's not something I've ever purchased secondhand. If it's still available, I'd rather have it straight from the company (weirdly enough, I've actually come to enjoy the anticipation of the wait time!) Plus...there are so many incredibly beautiful dolls coming out every day that it's practically overwhelming. If I miss out on one today, there's always another that I'll want tomorrow. :sweat

6. The most expensive 2nd hand doll I have was 400$ the cheapest was 200$. Which are both cheaper than the original price it would have been at volks.

7. I got my withdoll elf Ruby for $315 shipped secondhand. She had the company faceup and would technically be $330 + shipping on withdoll's website (though she's sold out for now); from what I gather shipping to the US would be $43.11 so I think I saved a good amount and I'm extremely happy with my purchase. :) My other doll I still have yet to get but it's a hybrid between a mirodoll body and modded fairyland event head so I guess it's hard to price that out, though I think I got her for a good deal and I'm hoping I'll be happy with her once she gets here.

Generally when it comes to standard/recent dolls I try to pay either retail or below retail, though, before taking the faceup into account (eg if it's something I'd keep and if it has an artist's faceup that I really like such as Angeltoast or Nomyens).

8. I don't remember how much I paid for Alistair, but it was more than half, but still a fair amount less than what he'd have cost if I'd gotten him straight from the company (he's a limited from Dream of Doll). I thought the price was fair since he was secondhand, limited, and had some very minor repaired damage (two broken fingers).

My other secondhand items, two floating heads, were event items so I'm not really sure how to class them. I got one for two hundred and another for one-eighty, both of which are significantly less than what I'd have had to have paid for a full MiniFee (they're FairyLand heads), but still more than what the heads cost when they came straight from the company. So I guess one could technically say that I've done both extremes.

9. Considering I've only bought like a few dolls..
      I got a doll leaves Noir head with an a-ma-zing face up for 150. I have NO idea what a doll leaves Noir head is worth, and I couldn't find any references as it's an event head either. I just paid it because I thought it was worth it.
      (If anyone here knows the value of a doll leaves Noir head, let me know? xD)
      I also bought a Ringdoll Rebecca secondhand for 200, which was my first doll. She was said to be perfect, but was actually quite yellowed. I got her a new face up and she's all fine now.

10. I think the most I paid in comparison to brand-new was my Volks Kanata head, which I think I paid $380 on here for. He's not a popular sculpt, and used to only be available as a Volks standard SD boy, which went for around $550 new (now you can get him in the FCS). But he did come with his original Volks faceup and eyes, so I was okay with it.

I'm a LOT more picky now, and I hunt for deals if I can. I'm always looking to haggle with people. XD

And then there was my Ringdoll Frankenstein head, who I got for free from a collector on Facebook who was getting rid of all her heads that didn't have CoAs. I'm not sure if RD did CoAs with their old dolls, but he's not on the recast list and other Ringdoll owners on here confirmed his identity, so he was a lucky gift. :)

11. It depends on how old the doll is, if they are older than 4 years I 'll pay 1/2 or less of what a new one cost.

12. I paid a lot for my Glorydoll Lucy head, but it was artist painted and very difficult to find. I have no regrets...I once overheard a lady telling her friend outside of a Doll Convention that if a doll makes you happy it is worth it, whatever the price. As long as you can afford it, why not go for it and be happy. I have limited money available or I would buy more than I do.

13. All of my dolls are 2nd hand and they are price from $73 to $160 usd. My myou loretta the most expensive and she came with only faceup nothing else, 2 of my aidolls came with clothes and eyes, :)

14. Actually, my doll´s bodyhad owners before I got it, so I got it really cheap. The head is brand new, tho....

15. about 100 dollar cheaper! including eyes, clothes, and wigs. It also came with the box and certificate

16. All of my dolls have been second hand. My first was free, my second was $100 including shipping, and the ones I’m waiting on were each $150

17. It depends on the doll. I have, in the past, bought dolls off the marketplace that were significantly cheaper than they would be new from the company. Of course in most of those situations, the defining characteristic wasn't the price, but rather, "am I looking to buy this sculpt yes/no, do I currently have enough money saved for it yes/no". The difference in prices was incidental.

18. Mostly...the original price or more expensive due to their condition and well kept. But it also depends on the date of manufacture, if its 'old' then its not reasonable to pay the original price:atremblin

19. I almost always look for deals in the 50-75% off range when I'm shopping secondhand. The only time I pay more than the first owner paid is when it's a freebie event doll. :lol:

20. I certainly can't see paying more for a second hand doll that you can still buy cheaper from the company, but there are so many dolls you can now only buy second hand - at that point it's just how much is it worth to you. I only have one second hand doll, older and discontinued along with being not a very popular sculpt - but when the doll speaks to you, and is in decent condition and you may not see it come up for sale again any time soon - seems worth it to me.