1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How much did you pay for your second hand doll?

Apr 10, 2017

?
  1. Less than half price of a new doll (0 - 50 %)

14 vote(s)
    12.6%
  2. More than half the price of a new doll (50 - 90 %)

25 vote(s)
    22.5%
  3. A bit less than the price of a new doll (90 - 100 %)

39 vote(s)
    35.1%
  4. Exactly the same as a new doll

6 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. A bit more than the price of new doll (100 - 110 %)

7 vote(s)
    6.3%
  6. Significantly more than the price of new doll (110 - 150 %)

6 vote(s)
    5.4%
  7. Up to double the price of new doll (150 - 200 %)

5 vote(s)
    4.5%
  8. I really have no idea/didn't check

9 vote(s)
    8.1%
    1. I brought some second-hand from yahoo-auction. Most time, the price is higher than the usual. The reason I brought from Yahoo is because I missed the deadline for an limited doll, so I have to get it from somewhere else. Mostly, those second hand doll are just like new. Therefore, I am willing to take them home with extra charges.

2. I have three secondhand dolls, all of whom came from Y!J auctions.

The two from Blue Fairy, one TF and one PF, were both about 25% of their new price.
      The Iplehouse SID Storm (with COA) was also a tad over 25%, but he was only so cheap because one of his elbows has a huge crack.

I think I would be willing to pay up to about 70% for a secondhand doll, more if it were no longer available or had an amazing faceup. If I were going to pay near retail for a doll that is available from the company, I'd prefer to support the company directly.

3. If my research via wayback machine is right, I I got my second hand doll for just a little under the company sale price, but not by much. Haha.

4. the price mainly depends on the resin, if its old and yellowed then the price would likely drop more(except limited dolls. and i generally by second hand because i dont want to wait i usually look for newer dolls

5. I spent $300 on my DZ Tulip and I have no idea what she normally goes for, although I would be curious to know

6. All of my dolls are actually second hand, save for a head and some shin pieces. c: My first BJD was an AoD 60cm girl with a full Dollheart outfit, wig, and faceup for $150. I’m honestly super grateful to the original owner for selling her so cheap, because it would’ve been much harder for me to enter the hobby were it not for getting her.
      I don’t yet have the funds to drop a ton on dolls (hence why I rely on the used market so heavily), but there are some wonderful deals out there! I think the most I’ve paid for a doll was $260 for my Domuya Perennial Faith with box, sleeping face, regular and model legs, heel feet, extra hands, dogtag, eyes, and faceup after two years of scrounging for a Perennial girl (honestly still in disbelief over her).

7. I own a lot of second-hand dolls and the price I paid really varies. Some were really cheap due to being so old and well-loved by their previous owners { yellowing, messed up faceups, etc }, some were cheaper than new but close to their original price, and when it comes to the limiteds and Volks I had to unfortunately shell out a lot of money;;;

So generally the market is pretty flexible for those on a budget as long as the doll you aren't looking for is rare/high in demand!

8. Hahahaha, the price you pay second hand depends entirely on the doll's condition/rarity/customizations! (Note: every time I say "you" in this post, it's a general "you").

For example, unfortunately, Bluefairy Tiny Fairy second hand value seems to have tanked. This is sad, because I want to see the company doing well and its products valued, but on the other hand... I've picked up fullsets that were originally $500-600+EMS shipping for $230 shipped from Japan, and some dolls (no extras, just the doll) that would have cost me about $350+EMS shipping for $130 shipped. Usually I have to give these dolls Oxyclean baths, restring, wipe their old and damaged faceups, and send them out for new facups, so some of that price drop is, in a sense, a reward for the time and money I have to put into the doll to freshen it up.

I've also paid an extra $600 or so for a second hand Dollfie Dream that had a limited run and would never be made again! And I've paid about $150 extra for dolls with incredible faceups from talented and retired artists, like Caroline, gorgeous art that can never be replicated (this assumes that the faceup is in great shape). This idea going around that high quality faceups/customizations diminish the value of a doll is... honestly kind of scary in a hobby that is 100% art. If you want a blank version of that same sculpt, you can (usually) order it new or wait for one to pop up second hand, rather than asking the seller to wipe potentially irreplaceable art and lower the price.

I have to say that, as a seller, I've been struggling with the second hand DOA market lately. Every once in a while, you run into someone who seems to be treating it as a... yard sale, for lack of a better description? I guess my advice would be to look everywhere and be happy when you run into a great deal, but don't harangue sellers offering a fair price to give you that great deal when they've marked their price as "firm" or they've declined your offer already. You are also free to make a WTB with the price you want to pay stated in it, and then wait for a response from a seller. This is a great way to test how reasonable the price you have in mind actually is.